• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

I would hope in terms of bigs for next year we can get a JUCO who can play immediately. I've heard stuff about Deji Adekunle from Williston State and Marvin Jones, another Chicagoland kid from Dolton, both are 6' 10"+ and aren't twigs.

I want someone with experience at the college level since Vashil will be our only big and we will need another big to eat up minutes if we want to be successful.

Kyle321n

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 26, 2014, 02:54:17 PMhttp://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2014/03/24/nolan-berry-transfer-butler/6840167/ Perhaps this is an option...

If only I had heard of that name before.....

Quote from: wh on March 26, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
6-10 Butler freshman Nolan Berry has announced that he will be transferring. Despite not playing much this year, IMO he has definite potential. I think he's the 5th Butler player to quit the team since the beginning of this season.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Guessing he wasn't happy with little playing time on a crappy team - hey he could probably have as many minutes as he want here on a team that should be above .500.

ARCInsider

And THAT'S why you don't just read the last page of the thread.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 26, 2014, 01:11:06 PMThey're just trying to keep up with IU
POST OF THE DAY

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 26, 2014, 02:32:37 PMAs LAA might say, "strength is his weakness".
i WISH i were that clever.  thx.

ARCInsider...what was your gif?  dying to know.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2014, 05:05:25 PMARCInsider...what was your gif?  dying to know.
It's from Arrested Development
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

wait how come you can see it and I can't?

this is what i see:
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on March 26, 2014, 08:46:57 AMDavid Skara has now received an offer from Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech.
JUST WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS

TWO BUZZ WILLIAMS THREADS

;)

ARCInsider

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2014, 07:26:09 PM
wait how come you can see it and I can't?

this is what i see:

That's weird...not sure why you can't see it.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/shame.gif  Try the link.

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 26, 2014, 02:32:37 PM1.  As a senior in high school, breaks both his arms, putting him further behind in building strength.

I still say it was a bunch of the SLU message board posters who went out to DeSmet and kidnapped him after practice one night and beat him with a stick. How could the grandson of Ed McCauley, the greatest Billiken ever and former player for the St Louis Bombers, Boston Celtics and St Louis Hawks (now in Atlanta), decide to attend Butler?

If SLU does take him there will be some message board fans who certainly won't like it because of his initial rejection of Coach Majerus and his legacy.

Porter Moser, at Loyola, was an asst coach at SLU when Majerus and assts were recruiting Berry. He might already have a decent relationship with Moser despite the issues he had with Majerus. In St Louis, Hoosier is a very derogatory word. Akin to country bumpkin.

Easy Ed McCauley

zvillehaze

Valpo usually has interest in a transfer or two, so here's the latest list from Jeff Goodman.  I haven't seen Valpo's name associated with anyone in particular, but there are some talented players available.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 02, 2014, 12:11:32 PM
Valpo usually has interest in a transfer or two, so here's the latest list from Jeff Goodman.  I haven't seen Valpo's name associated with anyone in particular, but there are some talented players available.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

Thanks for posting that haze.  It is amazing how long the list actually is.  It would seem it is almost epidemic.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on April 02, 2014, 12:54:20 PMThanks for posting that haze.  It is amazing how long the list actually is.  It would seem it is almost epidemic.
I think it definitely seems that way, and numbers are up each year--but still, numbers would be up since there are more D1s every year--now more than 350.

Just one guy a team would be more than there are there now, and one guy a team would be 7.7%.

I kind of think only 7% of kids changing their minds and switching schools would be lower than the general college-kid average?

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on April 02, 2014, 12:54:20 PM
Thanks for posting that haze.  It is amazing how long the list actually is.  It would seem it is almost epidemic.

What's the statistic?  30 or 40% transfer within the first two years?

valpotx

Wow, 350+ teams now.  During my last year 10 years ago, I believe that the number was around 315 or so, with 280 baseball programs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Most of the new D1 schools are in Texas.  Houston baptist, IWU, albiene Christian.   When I graduated from valpo 10 years ago there were 310 with only 165 playing men's soccer and all 310 playing women's soccer.  Making it much more difficult to earn scholarship money in men's soccer.  When I was assisting coaching at the D1 level I found out a fully funded program for men's soccer is 7 scholarships.  Remember there are 11 on the field.  Women's D1 fully funded program is 13 scholarships.  I hope I have a daughter, she will have a much better chance getting a scholarship. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vufan75

On the 2014 recruiting front, ran across this surfing Twitter tonight regarding a possible Valpo transfer recruit. If it happened he would be a 5th year senior immediately eligible. Played at Providence, but looking at stats his minutes went down each year. A 6-8 forward with shot blocking skills. If I remember the stats I glanced at right, his FT % was low. I think he was recruited by the previous Providence coach, so maybe he just didn't fit into the new coaches plan.

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop·13 hrs
Boise St, Albany, UT-Chatanooga, Hofstra, Valpo & Middle Tenn pursuing Providence transfer Brice Kofane, who will be immediately eligible.

historyman

Quote from: vufan75 on April 02, 2014, 10:22:07 PM
On the 2014 recruiting front, ran across this surfing Twitter tonight regarding a possible Valpo transfer recruit. If it happened he would be a 5th year senior immediately eligible. Played at Providence, but looking at stats his minutes went down each year. A 6-8 forward with shot blocking skills. If I remember the stats I glanced at right, his FT % was low. I think he was recruited by the previous Providence coach, so maybe he just didn't fit into the new coaches plan.

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop·13 hrs
Boise St, Albany, UT-Chatanooga, Hofstra, Valpo & Middle Tenn pursuing Providence transfer Brice Kofane, who will be immediately eligible.
http://pcbb1917.com/tag/alex-kline/

this includes Kofane's picture

Kofane never really developed into the kind of defensive force that he showed flashes of early in his career. He will graduate this season and be immediately eligible because of the 5th year transfer exemption.

In 78 career games, Kofane averaged 1.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg and nearly a block/game. He played sparingly this year but was able to make an impact in a few games, especially a crucial 16 minutes off the bench in the Big East Tournament semifinals against Seton Hall.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

pcbb1917

Kofane was always a good citizen and is a very good student. He played more early in his career out of necessity because of a severe lack of depth. He was never meant to play at the high major level and never really developed. He doesn't have great hands on the offensive end but can swat shots very effectively. The thinking is Albany may have an inside track on him because he played AAU ball for the Albany City Rocks but we'll see what happens.

LaPorteAveApostle

how about you keep him and we'll take fazekas.  deal? ;)

pcbb1917

Haha I think we'll pass. It really seems like Fazekas is ready to blow up this AAU season. I watched highlights of his 34 pt performance in the State finals. Kid can shoot it. How is Class A in terms of competition though? It was interesting to hear that Brewster Academy in NH called him during the season and offered him a spot. I think PC fans would be thrilled if he decided to go to Brewster for his senior year. The NEPSAC league is one of the best HS leagues in the country with a TON of high major D1 talent throughout the league.

LaPorteAveApostle

Brewster can wait. (and will.)

The Class A tournament comprised the only games Marquette played against 1A competition all year. 

pcbb1917

I had read they played a tough schedule but didn't put it together that they didn't play any class A schools really. That's good to know. Thanks.