• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

rossi?

Started by truth219, December 06, 2012, 09:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

That is awesome to hear, and I hope that he is given some minutes to acclimate himself to the team.  I don't know if he played sparingly early on due to the health concerns, or if it was truly a depth thing, but we could use 4-5 minutes of pure shooting from time-to-time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Sounds like pinch hitting in baseball.

It can't be easy to come in off the bench immediately dialed in to shoot.  If he can so it, fantastic!

valpotx

It didn't seem to bother him when he came in for a minute here or there early in the season.  He seems to have a very smooth/natural shot
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

This is good news.  Welcome back and good luck to Rossi!

VULB#62

I'm still a little skeptical about this time table, but if he is, indeed, (a) fully recovered from the procedure and (b) the condition is completely corrected, then I'm glad to see him back.  He has such a classically smooth rhythm to his shot and he's pretty deadly accurate.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 05, 2013, 09:32:38 AMIf he can get a medical red-shirt, I hope he goes that route.  I'd rather that he contribute for another full season than risk an early return for the sake of a few games.

TOTALLY agree...have been banging that drum for a while now.  Also posted what agibson posted somewhere else a while ago.  The next time he steps on the floor he will be past the point in the season for a med-shirt. 

Plus when you couple that with a serious health issue, I'm no doctor, let alone his, but I'd feel better about him taking the next 6 months.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2013, 06:35:39 AM
Quote from: humbleopinion on February 05, 2013, 09:32:38 AMIf he can get a medical red-shirt, I hope he goes that route.  I'd rather that he contribute for another full season than risk an early return for the sake of a few games.
TOTALLY agree...have been banging that drum for a while now.  Also posted what agibson posted somewhere else a while ago.  The next time he steps on the floor he will be past the point in the season for a med-shirt. Plus when you couple that with a serious health issue, I'm no doctor, let alone his, but I'd feel better about him taking the next 6 months.

From what I hear nothing, and I mean nothing, except Bryce, will keep Rossi from playing today. He wants to start hitting threes when they jump off the bus.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

So I guess there's always "except Bryce"???
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Was he dressed on Saturday?  Did he participate in shoot-around?  I didn't get a look at him.  Or maybe he's always been dressed/in warmups and looked more or less ready to play?

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 11, 2013, 04:16:15 PMWas he dressed on Saturday?  Did he participate in shoot-around?  I didn't get a look at him.  Or maybe he's always been dressed/in warmups and looked more or less ready to play?

Hasn't been dressed in a while, always in the black sweatsuit.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

So by now people close to the program must know more about Rossi's situation and health.  If he is healthy he could really be a difference maker next year.  So, let the updates begin!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo4life

Pretty sure what I have heard is that this is going to be a Kurth situation. We will most likely not see him play here at Valpo again, unfortunately.  This may be false info, but just relaying what I've heard.

valpotx

That is unfortunate.  I am sure that he will take full advantage of his education, and do well elsewhere in life!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Any new information about Rossi? I wish him good health and would love to see him play. However, if Rossi will not be playing, as some are reporting, and a transfer is recruited to take his spot on the roster, that announcement should come this next week since the new players will be on campus to begin second semester summer school on July 1. Otherwise, he remains on the roster as a non-playing member, and we basically forfeit one roster spot. 

Smj

I've said it before...  He has the best looking shot - pure shooters form.   Would love to see him play - but if not he seems like a great kid to have as part of the team.

ARCInsider

He won't be playing.

valpopal

Odd development: Oren is reporting on Twitter that Rossi will play basketball after all ... at Illinois Wesleyan:

"Well this is interesting...Former Valpo basketball player Alex Rossi lands at Illinois Wesleyan and will play for the Titans."

valpotx

Good for him.  Hopefully he can end his career with a solid season at that level
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on August 28, 2013, 09:10:51 AM
Odd development: Oren is reporting on Twitter that Rossi will play basketball after all ... at Illinois Wesleyan:

"Well this is interesting...Former Valpo basketball player Alex Rossi lands at Illinois Wesleyan and will play for the Titans."

Interesting.  Was his medical reasons for leaving Valpo ever released?  Hopefully, he found some medical care that will allow his playing of college basketball.  Wish him well.  Verbal Commits has some tweets as well:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/alex-rossi

IWU is Division III, so he shouldn't have to sit out a year.  From wiki, IWU has a substantial endowment for a Div III school with only 2000 students.

valpospartan

Just a shame that Alex didn't get the chance to show what he could do for VU.

valpotx

Maybe his medical issues won't be as much of a problem at the slower-moving D-3 level?  It says heart and hernia issues, so maybe because it is not as fast paced, he can play limited spurts at that level without issues. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

IWU is a very solid D3 program coached by Ron Rose.  Rose actually began his career at Valpo in 1984.  I think he was on the inaugural ARC team.  We were young and very bad. He bolted for IWU after one semester.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 03, 2013, 09:06:15 AM
IWU is a very solid D3 program coached by Ron Rose.  Rose actually began his career at Valpo in 1984.  I think he was on the inaugural ARC team.  We were young and very bad. He bolted for IWU after one semester.
I don't recall Ron Rose from that team.  However, the Valpo All-Time Roster confirms that Ron Rose was on that team.  I think he was a walk-on, as the highly touted incoming freshman included Jeff Rekeweg (lasted one season under Smith), Curtis Rias (also one season), Jerome Battle (three seasons), Larry Dougherty (one season) and Harry Bell (played all four years).  Paul Bayne and Brett Hughes were transfers that were eligible that season after sitting out the previous year.  This recruiting class was supposed to lead to better things for Smith and VU.  I guess the better for VU would be getting Homer in '88!

Smj

Looking forward to watching Rossi this year because my local college plays IWU....