• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Questions about Saturday (From a SLU Fan)

Started by Billiken_NH, December 05, 2013, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on December 05, 2013, 01:16:03 PMI'd be willing to say bobbys 3pt % will be under 30% by the end of the year.
You're on.  He'd have to miss his next 15 in a row to go under 30%.  Taken further, let's assume he hits the O/U number of 75.  He'd have to make 13 (or fewer) of those 60 (21.7%).  Since he's already over 50%...that'd be hard to do even if you were trying to suck.

You think they're "ugly"?  I am of the school of thought that says "it's not ugly when it goes in".  He'd have to go 14 of those 16 shots from inside the arc to score as many points, and even KVW would have trouble converting 87.5%.

Truth, you may have 219 problems but Capo 3s ain't one.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

I would agree that his 3 pointers are ugly but they're falling, and people may say the 72 Dolphins were ugly but they won every single game, so winning ugly, looks much better than what the Pats did a few years ago blowing every one out of the water but not winning the ever so crucial last game.

Last year he shot a respectable 35% for beyond the arc. I can guarantee he won't shoot 60% on the year but I'm guessing he'll be somewhere around 35-40 when all is said and done which is very good. His 3 point shooting helps open up the offense and allows him to drive into the lane, which recently he's looked pretty good doing. I know he didn't score a single point yesterday but he didn't force up many bad shots either.

A 3 pointer is a 3 pointer and it don't really matter how it looks like falling through.  They all count the same in the end.

HC

The Mezz will fill up with the walk in crowd, overflow from students and faculty/staff and their families.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2013, 01:29:53 PM
I agree, justducky.  It would be VERY disappointing to not have 5,000+ for a game like this one.  Has the Marketing group built up this game over any others to show the region that they are a solid program?
If they have , I haven't noticed and it may now be too late for any last minute push. I do not want to panic yet but if we fall well short of a respectable number then we should probably move this discussion to its own dedicated thread. This last March we had 2 threads with much talk on building home attendance. One was titled (How did the city react?) and the other was (HL Tourney). It is beyond my time and abilities to throw all of the pertinent commentary into one place but maybe one of you could do it as it would eliminate a great deal of needless repetition. I have some new thoughts and suggestions that I will submit when the stage is properly set, or maybe Saturday will have folks sitting elbow to elbow in the top row of EE and we can change the topic back to ARC renovation and expansion.  :o

historyman

Quote from: justducky on December 05, 2013, 09:49:36 PM
Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2013, 01:29:53 PMI agree, justducky.  It would be VERY disappointing to not have 5,000+ for a game like this one.  Has the Marketing group built up this game over any others to show the region that they are a solid program?
If they have , I haven't noticed and it may now be too late for any last minute push. I do not want to panic yet but if we fall well short of a respectable number then we should probably move this discussion to its own dedicated thread. This last March we had 2 threads with much talk on building home attendance. One was titled (How did the city react?) and the other was (HL Tourney). It is beyond my time and abilities to throw all of the pertinent commentary into one place but maybe one of you could do it as it would eliminate a great deal of needless repetition. I have some new thoughts and suggestions that I will submit when the stage is properly set, or maybe Saturday will have folks sitting elbow to elbow in the top row of EE and we can change the topic back to ARC renovation and expansion.  :o
I know at least a dozen people in the city of Valpo who won't attend games due to the facilities in the ARC. Bathrooms, concessions etc. You really have to cater to peoples' personal whims these days. There are an awful lot of more comfortable things that these people could be doing at the same price or less.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

I'm kinda bummed that FSMW won't be televising the game.  Hey, Billiken_NH, do they ever televise non-conference away games?

valpo64

I can not understand why some people would not attend games at the ARC because of facilities alone.  Have any of them ever attended a game at Hinkle Fieldhouse sitting in the upper sections?  The restrooms are TERRIBLE....."troughs" in the unheated men's restrooms made of rusted and chipped porcelain.  (At least the ones at Wrigley Field are stainless steel.)  Sounds to me these folks at Valpo are just looking for an excuse to stay home even though our facilities leave a lot to be desired. If you are a true fan you will go!

valporun

I still say some in Porter, Lake, and LaPorte counties won't attend VU games when their local high school is playing. Regardless of facilities, the expense of an Horizon League vs. IHSAA event is a major contributor to why our attendance numbers are always a beaten horse on this board. Why pay $20 a person to sit in the mezzanine, when you  can spend $20 for 4 people to watch Valpo High play?

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on December 06, 2013, 10:48:14 AMSounds to me these folks at Valpo are just looking for an excuse to stay home even though our facilities leave a lot to be desired. If you are a true fan you will go!

There are a large amount of fans that stay away from Hinkle too. But when you look at percentages (6,000-8,000/1.5 million) to Valpo's (3,000-4,000/100,000) for a good mid to high major but not a real crowd pleaser such as Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, etc. then it's pretty good.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on December 06, 2013, 11:08:04 AM
I still say some in Porter, Lake, and LaPorte counties won't attend VU games when their local high school is playing. Regardless of facilities, the expense of an Horizon League vs. IHSAA event is a major contributor to why our attendance numbers are always a beaten horse on this board. Why pay $20 a person to sit in the mezzanine, when you  can spend $20 for 4 people to watch Valpo High play?

Tickets for St. Louis in the mezzanine are $10.  Plus, its D1 versus high school.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2013, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: valporun on December 06, 2013, 11:08:04 AM

Tickets for St. Louis in the mezzanine are $10.  Plus, its D1 versus high school.

Even $10 in the mezzanine is too much, when you're not as close to the action. Knock the mezz down to $5, and you'll get more walk ups to give the mezz a good viewing spot for a game.

talksalot

Well, we have a great halftime show coming in... those Chicago Bucket Boys are OUTSTANDING ... Students, Faculty and Staff do not need to buy tickets... I'm looking for a huge crowd.  No Snow, just a bit nippy.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on December 06, 2013, 09:23:28 PMStudents, Faculty and Staff do not need to buy tickets... I'm looking for a huge crowd.  No Snow, just a bit nippy.
Hope you are right but just for the record could you define "huge" for us?  ;)  What has been reported as sold on e-tix looks to be suspiciously low. Might Cindys departure have made some difference in the recording of sales?

I may show up a little tired tomorrow so I hope a few fans do make it and are at least loud enough to keep me awake.  :snore:

Kyle321n

I just want the ARC to be loud throughout what should be a very close game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

4300 for Murray State.... was "large".  HUGE to me is defined by the number of SRO rows are on the track surrounding the court.  I'm looking for a Butler-size crowd in size and volume. 

5,432 tickets are available

Largest crowds of the year:  (without the extra leased seating)
2001-02 - IUPUI   5,421
2002-03 - IUPUI   4,921
2003-04 - W. Ill    4,617
2004-05 - Centenary   4,879   (ORU was 4,872)
2005-06 - ORU   4,561
2006-07 - Marquette  5,036  (Butler two days later, 4,578)
2007-08 - Butler - 5,432
2008-09 - Butler - 4,737
2009-10 - Butler - 5,266
2010-11 - Butler - 5,432 (Purdue, same year:  5,432)
2011-12 - Butler - 5,237
2012-13 - Detroit - 5,166
... so far this year:  4,277 Murray State.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on December 06, 2013, 10:36:29 PMHope you are right but just for the record could you define "huge" for us?
Quote from: talksalot on December 07, 2013, 09:43:53 AM4300 for Murray State.... was "large".  HUGE to me is defined by the number of SRO rows are on the track surrounding the court.  I'm looking for a Butler-size crowd in size and volume.
3564 didn't meet my lowest expectation and I know you can't be happy. I think we have a problem.

talksalot

Unhappy and Surprised ... but I'll bet if you poll the folks around town, you'll get to over 5,000 people who say there were there.  Students did have a decent turnout.

OH, one note.  Will Bogan (who won the free-throw shooting contest during one of the time outs) did not accept the gift certificate... thought you'd like to know that.  And I understand his opponent asked Will to go against him... and he almost won!