• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016 Football Recruits

Started by VULB#62, January 19, 2016, 09:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2016, 04:25:26 PM
So right now I counted 20. 5 from Ohio, 5 from Michigan, 3 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan, 2 from Texas and 1 each from Wisconsin and Florida.  Great start!!

Upper and Lower Peninsula?

GOVALPO!

Good class hopefully these kids come in ready to work I think we have some crybabies last year  let them go we need the kids that are hard workers and committed to the program like the coaches  and most of the players  The new linebacker coach is a hardnose guy  and will be a great addition I think   My family really enjoys being a part of Val Po and we're looking forward to kicking up the tailgating this season   I will be meeting with the coaches this off-season trying to see if we can open up the parking lot earlier on Saturdays to start cooking out  and get the students out for some free barbecue and maybe BYOB   Before each home game         go Val Po.                                 Hardwork determination makes champions

VULB#62

Later this morning I will post a spread of all the announced signings and I will up date as new kids come aboard.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 03, 2016, 09:06:38 PM
One of the QB's we offered (Danny Carollo) is going to Purdue as a preferred walk on. What exactly is a preferred walk on? That makes 2 walk on QB's at Purdue, not sure what that means for Paliga.

Being a preferred walk-on is a tough proposition and once the illusion wears off  many quit the program to focus on studies. If they really want to play FB for 4 years and not just be scout team fodder, they have to transfer. And FBS D-I programs demand so much more of their kids than, say, a Valpo.

VULB#62

Attached (click to magnify) are the 25 official signees as of 10AM CST 02/04/2016 sorted by position.  Looking for more as the week progresses and into next week.  I'll update the spread as they come in and are announced.  BTW: What position is a "SN"?

Some facts
By Position: 3 DBs, 4 DLs (smallish - most are DEs I think), 5 LBs/SNs, 4 OL, 1 QB, 3 RBs (good size), 1 TE, 3 WRs
By State:  FL-2, IL-6, IN-3, MI-4, MO-1, OH-5, TX-2, WI-1

valpotx

I saw someone refer to it as "snake."  I assume that it has to do with playing both LB and DB.  TCU is well known for having an extra player in the secondary that operates as such. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2016, 11:56:08 AM
I saw someone refer to it as "snake."  I assume that it has to do with playing both LB and DB.  TCU is well known for having an extra player in the secondary that operates as such.

Spot-on Tex.  Here's what Vinny Giacalone sent me when I asked: "SN is our Snake outside linebacker position. It is very unique to our defense so instead of labeling it a LB we use SN. "

VU2624

Curious as to what happened with Sean Moore. Listed as a commit. Everything about his twitter account indicates he's signed but nothing out "official" if Valpo announcing it via social media is official. Maybe just an oversight.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 04, 2016, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2016, 11:56:08 AMI saw someone refer to it as "snake."  I assume that it has to do with playing both LB and DB.  TCU is well known for having an extra player in the secondary that operates as such.
Spot-on Tex.  Here's what Vinny Giacalone sent me when I asked: "SN is our Snake outside linebacker position. It is very unique to our defense so instead of labeling it a LB we use SN. "

Maybe more of a LEO position which is used in the NFL. Combo of OLB and DE.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on February 04, 2016, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2016, 11:56:08 AMI saw someone refer to it as "snake."  I assume that it has to do with playing both LB and DB.  TCU is well known for having an extra player in the secondary that operates as such.

I'm thinking that is what Cody Cotton played at 210#. He had a great year and was very dependable.  But I still hope they go 2 DEs and 2 DTs, both with good size, plus the weak side SN or OLB stacked and the strong side OLB over the TE.  I saw Cody get overwhelmed  on runs to his side.  He also had trouble pass rushing over and around agile tackles.

talksalot

and he won the Flashback to the 80s dance at the MBB game a few weeks ago...!

VULB#62

Quote from: talksalot on February 04, 2016, 03:49:56 PM
and he won the Flashback to the 80s dance at the MBB game a few weeks ago...!

No questioning his agility!!

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on February 04, 2016, 03:36:43 PM
Curious as to what happened with Sean Moore. Listed as a commit. Everything about his twitter account indicates he's signed but nothing out "official" if Valpo announcing it via social media is official. Maybe just an oversight.

With the release of the PDF list that is printable, I'll beg off updating my spread.  The PDF includes Biggs, Buckey and Sperling who were not on my list and whose Twitter releases came out today. 

As for Sean Moore, DB from FL, he's still on the "we're waiting for his stuff" list.  The staff still thinks he's a "for sure."

bbtds

Quote from: GOVALPO! on February 04, 2016, 08:48:18 AMmaybe BYOB

From past experience this will not fly with the VUPD or the administration. Not sure why other than strict insurance liability rules.

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on February 04, 2016, 05:07:38 PM

From past experience this will not fly with the VUPD or the administration. Not sure why other than strict insurance liability rules.

At the last bball game I aske the driver of the shuttle what happens if a student gets on the shuttle bus drunk. He said they go straight to VUPD and not a stop inbetween.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on February 04, 2016, 05:07:38 PM

Dry campus "image" started by Harre a long while ago. That's softening.  The alumni tent in the east end zone at Homecoming served wine and beer, but needed special presidential approval. The University is wary of not having full control over rowdy, adult, Lutheran (and also especially Catholic, not to mention Baptist) people drinking adult beverages without presidential approval.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 04, 2016, 03:48:46 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on February 04, 2016, 03:38:05 PM
I'm thinking that is what Cody Cotton played at 210#. He had a great year and was very dependable.  But I still hope they go 2 DEs and 2 DTs, both with good size, plus the weak side SN or OLB stacked and the strong side OLB over the TE.  I saw Cody get overwhelmed  on runs to his side.  He also had trouble pass rushing over and around agile tackles.

I think Roberto Kelly played it the year before. I'm not sure it's a spot you want to force into the defense if you don't have the right guy to play it. NFL teams are different in that they can essentially hire the right guy. With Valpo's recruiting, I'm not sure they are always going to have that guy on the roster.

Thanks for the info on Sean Moore. Maybe his stuff is the academic qualifiers. The picture on his twitter page showed him signing the LOI and wearing VU gear. So unless he's running the letter up to Valpo himself, I guess they have to get everything in order in terms of academics.

VU75

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 04, 2016, 05:32:26 PM
Dry campus "image" started by Harre a long while ago. That's softening.  The alumni tent in the east end zone at Homecoming served wine and beer, but needed special presidential approval. The University is wary of not having full control over rowdy, adult, Lutheran (and also especially Catholic, not to mention Baptist) people drinking adult beverages without presidential approva

Martin Luther

Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters heaven. Thus, let us drink beer!"

IndyValpo

From Brandon's article...

"We're looking to add a second one for sure, possibly a third," Cecchini said. "We've got one where we're waiting on a decision and another who is flying in for a visit next weekend that we're very excited about."

I am guessing the QB visiting is Chris Duncan from California. Cecchini visited him last week.

VULB#62

From his Hudl highlights he is pretty good on his feet, QBs an offense similar to VU, has good vision to pick up secondary receivers and can throw on the run going to both left and right. 

6-3, 172# 4.65 40

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 05, 2016, 01:07:09 PMI am guessing the QB visiting is Chris Duncan from California. Cecchini visited him last week.

His dad wasn't a pitching coach for Tony LaRussa was he?  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 05, 2016, 02:14:49 PMFrom his Hudl highlights he is pretty good on his feet, QBs an offense similar to VU, has good vision to pick up secondary receivers and can throw on the run going to both left and right. 6-3, 172# 4.65 40

Like this kid. Looks like he knows he's got to get the ball out and I don't see the receivers struggling to catch the ball. That's a sign the WRs are confident in where the ball will be.

IndyValpo

This looks like a solid group (everyone looks good in highlights!). If the two committed DB's are added we have filled a lot positions.  We really need another QB and some larger DL. It would be nice to add another TE, perhaps a punter for depth.