• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Athletics and Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment Announce Multimedia Rights

Started by VU2014, July 23, 2018, 10:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Some interesting news.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1021410898458697728

Valpo Athletics and Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment Announce Multimedia Rights Partnership

MONDAY, JULY 23, 2018

NEW YORK (July 23, 2018) – Van Wagner Sports and Entertainment (VWSE) and Valparaiso University Athletics today announced a long-term agreement granting VWSE Collegiate Services exclusive rights to represent Valpo Athletics for corporate sponsorships, media sales and more.

In addition to selling and managing Valpo's local broadcast and digital media assets, VWSE will negotiate and execute corporate partnerships around properties including the Crusaders' in-venue signage, gameday promotions, rights to athletic marks and in-venue hospitality packages.

"We are excited to be partnering with Van Wagner," said Mark LaBarbera, director of athletics at Valpo.  "They bring an understanding of mid-major programs, experienced staff and expertise in evolving media and communications platforms that will provide strong support as we continue our transition to the Missouri Valley Conference."

"Van Wagner is honored to launch our partnership with Valpo Athletics, a program steeped in more than 100 years of tradition," said Mike Palisi, executive vice president of VWSE. "As Director of Athletics Mark LaBarbera and his staff build upon the excitement and opportunities afforded with membership of the Missouri Valley Conference, we look forward to creating a substantial corporate partnership program that reflects Valpo's values and past and future success, and drives value back to all partners."

Valparaiso University is an independent Lutheran institution in Valparaiso, Indiana, an hour's drive from Chicago. Founded in 1859, Valpo is home to 10 men's and 11 women's NCAA Division I teams representing the Missouri Valley Conference, Summit League, Pioneer Football League and Southland Bowling League.

Since 2014, VWSE Collegiate Services has become a leader in college sports marketing and developed to represent the sponsorship or multimedia rights for multiple schools and athletic conferences, including the America East Conference, Big South Conference, Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, Colonial Athletic Association, Western Athletic Conference, and the West Coast Conference, as well as Arizona State National Sales, Canisius College, East Tennessee State University, Florida International University, Georgia State University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Longwood University, Loyola University Maryland, Loyola Marymount University, Niagara University, Pepperdine University, Samford University, University of San Francisco, Siena College, Saint Joseph's University, Santa Clara University, Stony Brook University and Towson University.

crusader05

http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2018-19/18335/david-kay-to-serve-as-general-manager-for-valpo-athletics-sponsorships/

A new hire related to our new collaboration with Van Wagner. I like that he already has connections to this area to help. It does seem like a solid step towards making Valpo the region's basketball program

VU2014

Quote from: crusader05 on August 16, 2018, 11:12:53 AM
http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2018-19/18335/david-kay-to-serve-as-general-manager-for-valpo-athletics-sponsorships/

A new hire related to our new collaboration with Van Wagner. I like that he already has connections to this area to help. It does seem like a solid step towards making Valpo the region's basketball program

I like it! I really feel that the University is taking Athletics/Basketball more seriously since the move. MVC offers us an opportunity that we didn't have previously in the HL and old mid-con. Specifically our Men's Basketball program has the ability to promote the school and give a ROI to the University.

Keep pushing and investing in our Men's Basketball program!

NativeCheesehead

Has anyone heard anything as to what/when we will see some movement with this? I realize July would have been a quick turnaround for an overhaul of anything but it seems we should have seen/heard something.

"VWSE will negotiate and execute corporate partnerships around properties including the Crusaders' in-venue signage, gameday promotions, rights to athletic marks and in-venue hospitality packages."

Other than the complete absence of game day promotions, everything else seems pretty much the same.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 03, 2018, 09:41:54 AM
Has anyone heard anything as to what/when we will see some movement with this? I realize July would have been a quick turnaround for an overhaul of anything but it seems we should have seen/heard something.

"VWSE will negotiate and execute corporate partnerships around properties including the Crusaders' in-venue signage, gameday promotions, rights to athletic marks and in-venue hospitality packages."

Other than the complete absence of game day promotions, everything else seems pretty much the same.

Not living in Valpo it is difficult to say.  There are a couple of things that are obvious to the viewing public.  First is the signage on the steps of the student section for Meier.  That is new. I noticed signs on pillars for a $5 car wash and also for Merrill Lynch. There is electric signage for Gator Aid and the goal padding is labeled for Centier Bank. The new video board by the concession stand area is constantly moving as is the video board by the scorer's table.  I was just watching a few minutes of replay and saw signs for The South Shore Line, Porter Regional Hospital, First Source Bank, Inman's, State Farm, Lake Shore Bone and Joint and Terry's Windows.  I'm sure there are many others.  Seems like quite a few other things around the arena.  What ever happened to the giant Crusader?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

My guess is his first focus has been revenue based. IE get as many sponsors to off-set the budget as possible. This is also a good time for him to just assess.

Personally, I'd love to see an Alumni Game that picks on game on the weekend and blasts out to all alumni in the area offering discounted tickets and activity for kids, Maybe have some local businesses sponsor or try to get a valpo alum run business or business to do it

VULB#62

VUBBFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2018, 01:27:34 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 03, 2018, 09:57:08 AMWhat ever happened to the giant Crusader?
He was cool.  Yes, where did he go?
He's hanging out with the students.            Where ever they are????

valpopal

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 03, 2018, 02:09:39 PM

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2018, 01:27:34 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 03, 2018, 09:57:08 AMWhat ever happened to the giant Crusader?
He was cool.  Yes, where did he go?
He's hanging out with the students.            Where ever they are? ???

I'm filing a missing persons report for the big guy in the corner and all his friends standing with him!

VU2014

That picture is just from a few years ago. I see former classmates in this photo. Man it bums me out that we haven't had this the last few years. When I was a student there were some games where the student section was so full that we had to sit in general admission if we didn't get there early enough.

I have a feeling that the students know that the Valparaizone is in a sad state so they just don't show up. They think to themselves, "well no one is showing up so why should I?" It's a pack mentality. If no one is there, they don't want to look "weird" and sit in a empty student section but if it's packed then everyone wants to be there. The culture needs to be restored. It may need to start with Greek Life. Has anyone in the Athletics Dept reached out to the Greek Life office or are we the fans just suggesting it and no one has acted on it yet?

VUBBFan

Well here they come out with the bribes to get students in the house. Sunday's attendance was disappointing to me because the first two games we had the Fan Zone filled a little bit (I think from new students) for lack luster teams. I had expected to have about the same for Sunday and we did not. Still hoping to get some excitement for the ARC.

On second thought may be the students were out searching for the Big Crusader when they saw he was missing.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1069693263588802562

FWalum

I think if I were a student the t-shirt and Jimmy John's would peak my interest.  If they don't show for that then I am not sure that incentives are the answer.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

jsher3141

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2018, 09:32:51 AMI think if I were a student the t-shirt and Jimmy John's would peak my interest.  If they don't show for that then I am not sure that incentives are the answer.

From giveaways the last few years, I have always noticed a lot of students walking AWAY from the ARC right before the game with their free food or clothing in hand, meaning they showed up for the free stuff, but didn't want to bother to stay for the game.  They really need to wait until halftime for the giveaways.

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2018, 09:32:51 AM
I think if I were a student the t-shirt and Jimmy John's would peak my interest.  If they don't show for that then I am not sure that incentives are the answer.

I really don't think think the giveaways are the problem. The student section needs to be revitalized and made fun again.

Milennials desire "experiences" over "material possessions". The athletics dept should be looking enhance the experience of the student section.

One idea I'd try out is give the fraternities, sororities, student groups, and other sports teams (swim team, etc.) a small budget to get costumes, body paint, props, etc. Also have another day with a Greek Life contest where the fraternity/sorority with the highest attendance gets a small donation to their local charity of choice.

The athletics dept needs to target the big student groups. Once they build enough momentum with rebuilding the culture of the student section the problem will be taken care of itself. They just need to build momentum and make these games fun and interactive.

VUBBFan

The liberal faculty and administration have deemed the Crusader mascot un PC.  So goodbye Crusader

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

I have not heard that at all. Last I heard was that they needed to hold some try outs due to several of the students who were the mascot graduating, having stricter time commitments

mj

I just remembered that Valpo entered this partnership in 2018.

Attendance and game atmosphere dropped off shortly thereafter. Is that a coincidence?
I believe that we will win.

VULB#62

Quote from: mj on February 27, 2023, 05:41:46 PM
I just remembered that Valpo entered this partnership in 2018.

Attendance and game atmosphere dropped off shortly thereafter. Is that a coincidence?

Well, I hope money is not going out the door for decreased revenue.