• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Prayers to Homer and Janet Drew

Started by vuweathernerd, October 11, 2011, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32668054

did this perhaps contribute to his decision to step down? perhaps feeling something wasn't quite right. according to sources, both cases were caught early - good news.

valpopal

All thoughts and prayers for the Drew family coming from this direction.

wh

This comes as a real shock.  My thoughts and prayers are with both Coach and Mrs. Drew. 

vu72

These things can appear out of the blue and I suspect that is what happened.  God speed to both Coach and Mrs. Drew.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Statement from Coach Homer:

"Janet and I would like to thank everyone for their well-wishes and prayers," Drew said. "We are very appreciative of the support from our family and friends, as well as the Valparaiso community."

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_8781495c-b5f7-54b4-b9a0-c3500b9cda71.html

swiftmutiny

Wow, that came as a shock. All the best to the Drew family.

rlh

Not only do I admire the Drew family, but over the years Homer and I have become good friends.  My best to him and Janet as they take on this task.  I know they will face it with all the fight and determination they have always shown.

valpotx

My prayers are with the Drews in this difficult time
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

My thoughts and prayers are with the extended Drew family.

valporun

I know we're all in shock about the news, and all of us are thinking and praying for the Drew family, but I was just gathering up a thought for the 2K Sports Classic games that we're hosting the weekend before Thanksgiving. Since this tournament benefits Coaches vs. Cancer, and we have a personal attachment to it in our basketball program, I thought it would be great if at our last game in the tournament, the Valpo community at large made a huge monetary donation to cancer research in the Drew family name. I honestly believe Homer, Janet, Scott, and Bryce wouldn't want that kind of attention to them, but as a Valpo community, it would be our way of making a great representation as hosts in this tournament. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

agibson

It's a very nice idea.  I'd be happy to support it.  (OK - I suppose I wouldn't want to force it through over legitimate family objections, but...)

Maybe they would have preferred to keep this quiet. But, it's literally front page news (at least on the digital edition of the Times - I left my print copy in the driveway this morning).  The cat's out of the bag, so to speak.

vuweathernerd

that's a great idea. maybe valpomarketingguy can get that kick-started.

grad66

I was also shocked by the news.  But The Lord always opens another door, I believe
Coach Homer and Janet will with His grace and blessings, along with our prayers and
support, come through this alright.  Go with God , Homer and Janet.

historyman

Quote from: wh on October 15, 2011, 04:10:32 AM
From Mark Lazerus:

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2011/10/about-homer-and-janet-drew.html

I certainly appreciate the position Mark Lazerus is in. This is the kind of loyalty that Homer brings out in a person. Unfortunately a bunch of info is getting leaked out through other friends of the Drews. But I think we need to be patient and let the story come out when the Drew family is ready to fully disclose it.

sectionee

vu84v2

All the best to Homer and his wife.  May they find the strength to face this with the courage and class that Homer has always shown in his professional life.

valpopal

Scott Drew speaks about the health conditions of his mom and dad in a video interview:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7129064/baylor-coach-scott-drew-comments-parents-fighting-cancer

Baylor coach Scott Drew told ESPN on Thursday during Big 12 media day that his father, Homer, the recently retired Valparaiso head coach, had prostate cancer and already had surgery to remove his prostate.

Drew said his father is recovering well.

Drew said his father's prostate exam prompted his mother to get checked for a condition that hadn't improved. His mother's exam determined that she had stage three bladder cancer. Drew said she already had surgery to remove her bladder and will start chemotherapy.

"My dad was getting ready for his surgery and my mom was talking to one of the doctors and examined her right there," Scott Drew said. "They found a tumor and removed it. It was a blessing that he had his exam when he did otherwise we may never have found out about my mom."

vu72

I traded emails with Homer a couple of days ago.  He sounded like his same old self.  Very up beat.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015