• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders open practice

Started by wh, October 15, 2011, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

NWI Times article:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/article_d4ef0da6-dffa-50b4-ba80-9b7eb6490dbd.html

The article says that Kevin has picked up 25 lbs., but both last year's and this year's rosters show him at 230.  Somewhat confusing, especially given that listed weights (and heights) for several other returning players are different from last year.  IF he is actually 255 lbs., he will be the most physical player Valpo has had in many years and very difficult to handle in the HL.  This is an interesting development in any event.

historyman

I must say I like Fernandez's attitude a lot better than when I saw him shooting free throws in July. He seems to have acclimated himself to the campus and the other players and will hit the floor with the attitude of "bring it I'm ready to work." I see a lot of light emerging in the big man area that Valpo truly needed. 

Pgmado

I thought the same thing concerning Kevin when I spoke with him. The rosters say the same weight, but there is a bit of a visual difference. Perhaps he translated fat weight into muscle weight. Either way, he's in great spirits right now and his performance is a real key to the team this season.

chairback

Just got back from the open practice.  Here is my 2 cents.  It was nice to see them in a live practice.  Bryce seems very organized and has everyone focused.  There was no down time at all in the hour we got to see practice.

http://tinypic.com/r/99pbew/7

-The team looks to be pretty good.  Minus Brandon Wood, everyone who left was easily replaced.

-Vashil is really good around the rim.  NO WAY he redshirts.  We have not had an athletic big man like this in years.  He can not shoot from the outside at all.  He is very long and can jump, rebound, and dunk and dunk an dunk.  They were running full court drills and 9 out of 10 shots he took were dunks.  This is all he does and this is what we need.  He is the most athletic big man in the league.  Yes, I said that. However I could not tell if he could play D yet.  Remember, he can not shoot past 9-10 feet.

-Boggs is better than Bogans.  Boggs is also better than Kurth.  I would put Kurth and Bogans even with Kurth being slightly better.

-Harris and Kenney will be solid.  I really like both of them.

-If Buggs could shoot he would be the best guard in the league.  But he can't.  Super fast though!

-Broekhoff will have a monster year.  Looks like he is a leader on the team.  Hardly missed any shots and looks more confident this year.  with Wood gone Ryan may be the man.

-Kevin only shot free throws the whole time.  Did not look any bigger to me.

-Copabianco looked really out of shape. 

-Edwards reminds me of Shawn Huff.  He will do well this year. He is a nice addition to the team.

-Vucic is not any better.  He really has no place to be on this team.  He struggles to dunk at 7'1.

valpopal

I also attended the open practice for season ticket holders tonight. The event was well done. The food from the Blackbird Cafe was very good, and the arrangement of all the tables on a level overlooking the team practice was a great idea.

I watched the men practice and I also spent some time watching the women, who were practicing in the old gym. I honestly don't think we can make any accurate judgments about players' ability based upon these early and somewhat superficial sessions. I will offer a few observations. Ryan has bulked up some and seems much stronger than when he was a skinny freshman. Kevin is a bit stronger and seems healthier, though Bryce held him out of practice and had him shooting free throws the whole time, which probably is as beneficial, especially at this point. Everyone at my table noticed Kevin was shooting free throws with better rhythm than in the past.

Richie Edwards looks athletic and will probably make major contributions. Vashil is becoming more comfortable, and is working on his footwork around the basket. He certainly can dunk. Matt seems stronger and healthier than last year. Harris is stronger this year as well, but could become even stronger with more weight room work. Vujic has improved his footwork, and he seems to have developed more strength. When everyone is eligible, with Boggs, Bogan, and Kurth added to the backcourt, we will have some depth. Capobianco is large, but a year in the weight room and working with the team will be a blessing for him. I believe I saw Jakolis sit on the side with a basketball in his hands, but he did not dress and had no part of the evening's events. I also thought I saw a couple of high school recruits in attendance and talking with Bryce.

A nice touch was that after practice the players from both the men's and women's teams circulated among the tables and talked with the fans. I had a number of good conversations with about half the members of the men's team: Kevin, Erik, Ryan, Matt, Vashil, Richie, and Nick. They were all very friendly and great ambassadors for Valpo. Notably, Kevin assured me that he felt much healthier and he looked forward to a lot more playing time. Ryan spoke with me about his experiences in international play over the summer and how that helped him get better. Richie said the same for him. Vashil revealed a pleasant personality and could eventually become a fan favorite.

Then the coaches introduced the members of both teams. Bryce spoke about the contributions he expected from each player. He commented that Erik practiced all summer with NBA players; let's hope that improved his shooting. Bryce also had Vashil demonstrate his 7'6" wingspan. Bryce seemed to indicate that Boggs would definitely miss the first semester, but did not commit to playing him in the second semester. I think he still might possibly redshirt. Bryce displayed his father's gift with words and personality. He is an excellent representative for the university, and it is clear to see that rub off on his players and assistant coaches. Bryce also closed his comments by thanking everyone for thinking about his parents and offering prayers for them, which he invited everyone to continue.

I give the organizers much credit for a very pleasant event, which I enjoyed more than the typical midnight madness, though I know students would prefer that kind of evening. The only disappointments were that I had hoped to get a sneak preview of the possibilities of the new scoreboard, but it only showed a static welcome message all the time. Also, the sound system still seems to need improvement, a couple of people at my table said they had trouble hearing a few of the players' comments.

All in all, though, an excellent event.

sectionee

Thanks for sharing what you guys saw.  Only a couple more weeks until we all get to see them in action. 

valpopal

As I said above, I also thought I saw a couple of high school recruits in attendance and talking with Bryce. Apparently, one of them was Ryan Fazekas, a 6'6" freshman guard from the class of 2015 at Marquette Catholic, and I'm told Bryce extended an offer.

sectionee

valpopal

Quote from: sectionee on October 15, 2011, 08:51:38 PM
Was there any Dino sightings?

As I noted above, I believe I saw Jakolis sit on the side with a basketball in his hands, but he did not dress and had no part of the evening's events.

sectionee

You sure did, I skipped right over that part.  Thanks!

wh

Quote from: valpopal on October 15, 2011, 08:51:02 PM
As I said above, I also thought I saw a couple of high school recruits in attendance and talking with Bryce. Apparently, one of them was Ryan Fazekas, a 6'6" freshman guard from the class of 2015 at Marquette Catholic, and I'm told Bryce extended an offer.

I thought 2015 must be a mistake, but a little google searching confirms that Fakezas is only a high school freshman.  He must be one heck of a player. 

cmack

Quote from: chairback on October 15, 2011, 07:47:01 PM
-Vucic is not any better.  He really has no place to be on this team.  He struggles to dunk at 7'1.

Been saying this from the moment I saw him.  He is a tall kid who fooled someone into giving him a free college education.  God bless him for it.

vu72

After seeing one practice I'm glad we have so many experts!  Seriously, when you look at the credentials of the new guys (Boggs a Va. Tech recruit and First team Virginia prep) Bogan (ole Miss recruit and Mr. Basketball in Idaho) you can only hope we can replace the scoring of Brandon.  The comparison of Richie to Shawn Huff is interesting.  Remember Richie is 6'8" and Shawn was maybe 6'6".

The improvement in the middle, be it by committee or otherwise, will be great and will certainly make us an entirely different team.  It will allow Ryan to play his normal 3 spot and add about 4 inches to our 5 guy.  Blocked shots last year were coming from Ryan and Matt.

I would think that Bogan will play some 2 rather than the 1 so the comparison to Kurth probably is't appropriate.  Bogan will be a much better scorer than Tommy or certainly Erik. 

Just my "expert" opinions and, I wasn't even at the scrimmage!!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

As I stated previously to make a real evaluation of the Valpo MBB team an observer must wait to see at least an exhibition game before really making a qualified observation of the talents of the new and improvements (or God forbid decline) of the returning players. We must see how Kevin's back reacts to a game situation. Has Vucic improved at all in a game situation? How really talented are Bogan and Boggs? Will Fernandez be able to score only from the interior and will he block a bunch of shots? How strong will Broekhoff be on the boards? Will Matt Kenney pick up some of the scoring that went away with Wood and Johnson? Has Harris improved in scoring and strength? Can Buggs make a free throw in a pressure situation? Can Erik score from the floor? Will Kurth shoot more when open? Many many questions and not all will be answered in the 2 exhibition games. 

valpotx

With a 7'6" wingspan, I have to believe Vashil will become a good shot blocker once he learns positioning.  I am sure he will foul fairly often initially.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on October 17, 2011, 11:44:08 AM
With a 7'6" wingspan, I have to believe Vashil will become a good shot blocker once he learns positioning.  I am sure he will foul fairly often initially.

I still remember watching Jim Steuve play in the '80s.  He was a good, hard-nosed player who gave everything he had during his four years.  He also fouled fairly frequently - he must have averaged over 4 fouls a game for the early part of his career.

vu72

From discussions with Ben Boggs, did anyone get an opinion as to whether or not he will redshirt?? Also, did anyone speak with dino as to his situation??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015