• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arizona game: 11/7/2011

Started by sectionee, November 05, 2011, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

I wrote up a preview for Monday night's game at Arizona, http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/11/game-preview-heading-to-arizona.html.  Hoping for a birthday victory Monday night!

wh

When I click on the link, it says Page Not Found...

swiftmutiny

valporun

It will be an ugly start to the game, as most opening games of the regular season are, but I think the Crusaders could possibly hang for a lot longer than you think, sectionee. Now pulling the game out is what I would like to see, but I fear that we might not be able to do. Good luck to the Crusaders! I will definitely be watching this game. Can't wait!!

johnestuff

With the way Arizona played in the preseason, we might have a chance of pulling out an upset. Can we take much away with a win. On the other hand, if we have a 10+ point loss, where does that leave us. If we can limit turnovers, we should be able to make a game of it.

Go Crusaders!

Valpo89

I just checked my Comcast, and ESPNU is Channel 405. And I get it!
I'll be flipping back and forth with the Bears game.

DMvalpo18

man, i can't wait for this game. time to see how we stack up against a power conference team, early in the season before teams have their rhythm.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo89 on November 05, 2011, 02:42:21 PM
I'll be flipping back and forth with the Bears game.

Is Cal opening their season Monday, as well?

Oh wait, I forget, Chicago has an American football team, right?  ;)

cmack

I predict the usual against major conference opponent.  Valpo falls behind big from the opening tip, then pats themselves on the back for keeping within 20 in the second half.

wh

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 05, 2011, 08:32:16 PM
man, i can't wait for this game. time to see how we stack up against a power conference team, early in the season before teams have their rhythm.

I hope you're right, but I just don't think we have enough capable big people to compete with a Top 20 team.  Whenever Kevin goes out, I don't know how we will stop their inside game.  Which begs the question - when is the NCAA Clearinghouse going to release their Valpo hostages?  I can just picture a day at the Clearinghouse - stacks of file folders that barely move, workers with empty stares who barely move, play on the internet, talk on the phone, text, come in late, take long lunches, and leave early.  Very similar to a day at local courthouses everywhere. 

rlh

You're expecting an awful lot from a guy who hasn't played much basketball in his life and is very very raw.  As far as Vucic, he did alright the other night against Augustana, nothing outstanding, but he held his own.  That's all he needs to do....it's obvious that Edwards is a face the basket player, not a 5.  Vucic will have to play and at least keep the status quo.....I thought he did pretty well for not having played in almost 3 years.....

wh

Last year we had the best back-up 5 in the HL in Kevin.  He could score, defend, and rebound.  He was a more-than-capable replacement for Cory when he was injured or in foul trouble.  Having Kevin enabled Homer to pull Cory when he was making mistakes.  Plus, there were times when Kevin gave us great minutes of his own - times when he was the most energetic, physical player on the court.  There is no way we win 23 games without him, especially given that we were an undersized team overall.

Replacing Kevin's back-up minutes from a year ago is IMO the biggest challenge the coaching staff has.  I have no idea if Fernandez can help fill that void, but a great opportunity is being missed to give him playing time and evaluate him in game situations.  World-wide recruiting is a way of life in today's global sports world, and yet the NCAA continues to be negligent in dealing with it.   

valpopal

Rather than win or lose, this match is more important for the opportunity to test the team under real-game circumstances against a quality team in a hostile environment, as well as to add to their experience together, especially working the new guys into the system. In any case, we will start the season with a strong strength of schedule rating.

Latest Vegas odds have Arizona by 13. I'd love an upset; however, if we beat the odds and keep the margin to a dozen or less, I will be surprised and happy. In fact, I hope I'm wrong, but I think I might be a few points optimistic with my prediction of a 15-point margin:

Valpo    64
Arizona 79

FWalum

Quote from: wh on November 06, 2011, 09:20:14 AM
Last year we had the best back-up 5 in the HL in Kevin.  He could score, defend, and rebound.  He was a more-than-capable replacement for Cory when he was injured or in foul trouble.  Having Kevin enabled Homer to pull Cory when he was making mistakes.  Plus, there were times when Kevin gave us great minutes of his own - times when he was the most energetic, physical player on the court.  There is no way we win 23 games without him, especially given that we were an undersized team overall.

Replacing Kevin's back-up minutes from a year ago is IMO the biggest challenge the coaching staff has.  I have no idea if Fernandez can help fill that void, but a great opportunity is being missed to give him playing time and evaluate him in game situations.  World-wide recruiting is a way of life in today's global sports world, and yet the NCAA continues to be negligent in dealing with it.   
wh, I think you are spot on.  Vucic and Fernandez have to play those minutes and that is the big question mark on this team.  As was stated earlier, Edwards is a 4 and not a 5 in any way shape or form.  Kevin has the attitude and mindset of a 5 and we will need other players with the same attitude and skills.  That can only come from Vucic and Fernandez.  If all we get from those two is some decent defense and an occasional put back I would be extremely happy.  From what we have heard about Fernandez it seems that the defensive part may be ok I just hope we get a chance to see for ourselves sooner rather than later.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Quote from: cmack on November 05, 2011, 11:25:25 PM
I predict the usual against major conference opponent.  Valpo falls behind big from the opening tip, then pats themselves on the back for keeping within 20 in the second half.

What games are you remembering?  In most of the games I remember recently against top teams, we usually take the lead by 4-5 for the first 5 minutes based on adrenaline, hanging tough the rest of the first half down 8 or so.  Then in the second half, we get blown out of the building, losing by 20-30.

Arizona 72
Valpo 61
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

historyman

vu84v2

motowntitan

I won't give a score- but best of luck tonight and in the OOC Valpo.   

zvillehaze

Good luck, guys.  The McKale Center is an awesome place to play and it will be rocking for opening night.  However, given the way Arizona has played in their exhibitions, no reason that Valpo can't knock them off if they play well!   :thumbsup:

milanmiracle

I guess I'll go with this...

Arizona 76
Valpo 57
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpo04

Don't forget about the chat room once the game starts!

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VUfan

chairback

Arizona 83
Valpo  56

The streak continues......