• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021-2022 Schedule

Started by VUGrad1314, April 16, 2021, 09:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Feels good to be able to start this thread! This is a terrific scheduling get to start the year! Glad to see we're keeping things going with Toledo. That was a good series so I'm happy to see it continue.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1383053133652328450

VALPO LI

Couldn't agree with you more!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Toledo with the possibility of home games against *Eastern Michigan and Charlotte* we are looking pretty good so far for 2021-2022 season.
*Return home games scheduled last season but canceled due to COVID.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Some decent programs in there. Looks winnable. Are we folding our games with Toledo and Charlotte into that event or is it possible we could end up playing both of them twice? All the same, it's probably a good tournament for us given where we are as a program right now. If we can get through that we'll know we're on the right track.

VUGrad1314

Reading things like this a MAC team getting a home and home with an A-10 team makes me wonder why we have accepted getting bought by SLU and letting GW out of its agreement with us in the past. Not the best look.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1392853814206685185

Another thought I have had is with Baldwin now in the fold at Milwaukee I think we should consider a series with them. Try to start it here so that we can watch a five star recruit at the ARC. It would be fun to reignite an old rivalry as well.

vu84v2

I am in favor of a home and home with UW-Milwaukee, but I don't see Baldwin being there for more than the coming season.

VUGrad1314

That's why it's important to get our home game on the front end. Speaking of possible Home and Home targets: I would gladly take this over any non D1! Bring Buggs back to the ARC!

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1394290235773792257

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Wish we could get stuff like this...

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1395417070477660165

It can't be conference affiliation as the MVC is better than CUSA so why do we struggle to get arrangements like this not just us but our conference in general.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 21, 2021, 03:38:48 PM
Wish we could get stuff like this...

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1395417070477660165

It can't be conference affiliation as the MVC is better than CUSA so why do we struggle to get arrangements like this not just us but our conference in general.

Really not a difficult answer and the same one Valpo has faced for many years--they want to win!  A loss is perceived as bad and a win doesn't help much.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jtm

It also helps that Frank Martin and Andy Kennedy are very good friends and Bob Huggins disciples, thus aiding this type of scheduling arrangement. I'm not sure Lottich has these types of relationships with any Power 5 head coaches.

VALPO LI

If this stands I like what I am seeing!!!!

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1407066390071283712

I thought originally Valpo was slated to open the season @ Toledo?
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

For this season, it is probably even more important to have a strong and interesting home schedule. Students (and fans) are potentially going to be more excited about being able to do what they were not able to do since March 2020 (even if they previously had less interest). Not to use an overworked cliche, but it is like a new beginning - which creates an opportunity. Get a really good non-conference home schedule and then do some effective marketing to promote the season.

VALPO LI

Agreed!!! The opportunity is also there with a new mascot and image for Valpo "a new beginning".  I just hope the level of excitement can get kicked up a notch for it feels real flat now. 
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on June 22, 2021, 11:46:46 AM
Agreed!!! The opportunity is also there with a new mascot and image for Valpo "a new beginning".  I just hope the level of excitement can get kicked up a notch for it feels real flat now. 

It will be all about the product on the floor.  Get a good home schedule and then WIN.  I'm as excited about this year's team as any in quite some time. Plenty of senior and post-senior experience coupled with as good an incoming class as we've had in a while.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

"Crusader" was special. It had depth, significance, history. The last thing "cancelling" the Crusader in favor of a vanilla name of no special significance drawn from a hat of vanilla names of no special significance is going to do is make me feel like celebrating "a new beginning." When my 3 children were growing up, I encouraged them to follow their dreams, do anything they want to do, but don't ever settle for being ordinary. Valpo just settled for being ordinary.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on June 22, 2021, 03:27:06 PM

"Crusader" was special. It had depth, significance, history. The last thing "cancelling" the Crusader in favor of a vanilla name of no special significance drawn from a hat of vanilla names of no special significance is going to do is make me feel like celebrating "a new beginning." When my 3 children were growing up, I encouraged them to follow their dreams, do anything they want to do, but don't ever settle for being ordinary. Valpo just settled for being ordinary.

I didn't mean for this to extend the discussion on the mascot, but OK. While I do not think that Crusader was "special", a new mascot name is not going to have any meaningful impact on attendance, fan interest, etc. This is based on what has happened at other schools that have changed the mascot. There will likely be a handful of 'loud and passionate' people who may choose not to attend games or attend while making a statement. But, consistent with vu72's points the number one factor driving attendance and overall interest is quality of the team as perceived by fans and students and number two is the perceived quality of opponents. Everything else is far behind those two factors.

wh

IMO, I don't think it will have any negative impact on attendance. I can't imagine anyone more disappointed with the decision to cancel the Crusader than I am, but that alone doesn't cross that red line for me. I hope it doesn't cross anyone's.

NotBryceDrew

Here is where I think the schedule is roughly maybe be a little give or take though:

Nov. vs Toledo
Nov. vs UIC
Nov. vs non- D1/ Trinity
Nov @  local Big 10

MTE
MTE
MTE

Dec. vs Charlotte
Dec. vs EMU
Dec. vs MAC team

Should have 3-4 other games. Based on scheduling history a P5 buy, 2 on the road beginning a H&H, last slot will probably best opportunity depending on situation.

VALPO LI

I am curious to see how the Bahamas Showcase holds up.  Samford (Emerald Coast Classic), Lehigh (Garden State Classic) Loyola Marymount (no MTE listed) all dropped out since the original post in April.  Also we believe Valpo "unofficially" has Toledo and Charlotte on their schedule for this season. 
Shine on Vu

justducky

Covid is down but not out and I'd expect continued caution against distant and lengthy road trips. The 21-22 schedule might look more midwest only than any of us would prefer but as long as I can get in and watch some games I will try not to complain.

I expect a very late issued schedule perhaps with some last minute revisions.

Pgmado

Quote from: VALPO LI on July 14, 2021, 12:08:44 PM
I am curious to see how the Bahamas Showcase holds up.  Samford (Emerald Coast Classic), Lehigh (Garden State Classic) Loyola Marymount (no MTE listed) all dropped out since the original post in April.  Also we believe Valpo "unofficially" has Toledo and Charlotte on their schedule for this season. 

I don't believe those teams were ever part of Valpo's event. When word first came out about the event, I got a text from someone close to the program that said the teams were not correct. I haven't been able to confirm the MTE, so I haven't reported on it one way or the other.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on July 14, 2021, 12:41:01 PMCovid is down but not out and I'd expect continued caution against distant and lengthy road trips.

It would be great if more people in the US would get vaccinated wouldn't it?  But alas some people in the US are not advocating enough for vaccinations against Covid-19.

VALPO LI

Paul is there any good news you can share with us on this years upcoming schedule? Any secret tidbits you can let us in on ;)
I'm dying over here in anticipation!
Shine on Vu

mp91

Quote from: wh on June 22, 2021, 03:27:06 PM

The "significance" and "history" of the Crusader is the very reason it got changed lol. The significance and history are based in religious wars, oppression, political suppression, and elimination of free thought (remember the Crusades also resulted in the deaths of many Christians who simply disagreed with certain stances). You can't really change history. It is what it is. Just because certain people don't associate the name with religious wars doesn't mean others don't. But let's not belabor the point in this thread.

In terms of attendance, I agree, this should have no bearing. The Washington Football Team has the most vanilla name ever and they saw no drop in fandom. Similarly, Manchester United has the most simple of names and is one of the biggest sports franchises in the world.

As for opponents, I'm hoping for some higher quality teams. Obviously, scheduling is always a problem with mid-majors (particularly Valpo), but I would like to see some teams with strong RPIs and good rosters to help challenge the squad. The days of having opponents like Kansas, Arizona, and Purdue may be behind us, but let's hope for some more intriguing matchups on the schedule.