• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Georgia Southern game: 11/11/11

Started by valpotx, November 09, 2011, 11:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanmiracle

Just doing my part to make the world a better place  ::)
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

You would imagine that you would just pick a way to say Kevin's last name and stick with it...not the case with GSU's radio announcers.  Same with our school name.  Really good first half for Bogan and a few others!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

drewsaders11

letsgovu

valpo04

Quote from: letsgovu on November 11, 2011, 07:33:56 PM
Quote from: drewsaders11 on November 11, 2011, 07:17:16 PM
Any word on where Harris has been?

was wondering that as well

According to a user in the chat room, he is attending his sister's wedding.

agibson

Anyone care to give an update?  The chat room doesn't seem iPod friendly, can't even find the link.

Pgmado

Valpo up 58-47 with 11:50 left. Bogan, Buggs and Van Wijk all have four fouls. Vucic time perhaps!

agibson

Thanks!  Go Valpo - time to find your inner depth.

valpofan56

Looks like our friend ChadWC is not only a sore loser, but also a moron.  Here's his quote on GSU's message board:

"That Valpo team is awful. Count me as concerned."

Awful huh? What does that make the team that lost to us at home?  What on earth has Valpo done this year that would make you think they're awful? Lost to Arizona in Tucson by 9? Looks like we had another awful night shooting from outside and yet were still able to easily beat GSU.  Shove it Chad!

vu72

And, we did it with 8 scholarship players.  Poor Chad has no idea what we could have done with everyone eligible.  Oh well, Georgia Southern is an athletic team with some nice players.  Hope they win a bunch of games this year!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Nice to see Bryce get his first official win. Also, good to see the scoring by Bogans, as well as the near double-double by Edwards. The 3-point shooting was awful (21%), while the two-point baskets were an amazing 74%. It appears Edwards (0-4) would usually do better to pass up the three, but Ryan also was only 1-6 from beyond the arc. Yet, Ryan knows how to contribute even when he has an off night shooting by still scoring 22 and grabbing 13 rebounds. Nice to see 5 players score in double figures, and Buggs just missed with 9 only because he shot 5-11 from the free throw line: better than last year, but needs to continue to improve.

valpotx

Just a better team/school than GSU, which must make him mad.  We should have beat that team by 15-20 if we would have had more than a 3 person bench.  Chad is very lucky we played like crap in spurts, otherwise this would have been ugly. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

He seemed like a very even-headed individual in his posts above.  Anyway, I had the pleasure of joining the Cameron Crazies for Duke's home opener against a Belmont team that really played their hearts out and made a potential blow out one thrilling game of basketball.  What an atmosphere!  And not that much bigger than the ARC either.  There is so much potential for Valpo to have a top 10 atmosphere once again!  But I digress...

Very happy to see a win in any shape or form!  And 90 points with 8 players and only 4 three pointers!?! I didn't see the game, but that seems very impressive to me.  Great potential in this team over the next two years!  Let's take care of business against Holy Cross

ChadWC

Apologies for the comment.  Was posting from my phone walking out of Hanner with two season's worth of frustrations boiling over. 

Who wouldn't be after watching a team who we were infinitely more athletic than, kill us on the boards, out hustle us, all while playing 7 guys.  Everytime we made a run, we made some boneheaded mistake like stepping on the out of bounds line, throwing up an errant or rushed shot, and do something to kill ourselves.  We missed Sam Mike, one of our returning post guys.  Hes more of a defense and rebounding player.  Man we could have used those rebounds tonight.

We are young.  Eagle fans have to keep telling ourselves that.  You started more upper classmen than we have on our entire team.  Our freshman post players got welcomed to division 1 basketball tonight.  They got pushed around.  Hopefully we learn and get better.  We better do it fast with games at Wake Forest, SMU, Auburn, and South Florida coming up. 

Again, my comment was ill advised.  I hope you are a great team and our 9 point loss doesn't look bad. 

drewsaders11

If GS is returning as many freshman as you say they are, I would almost say that we are less experienced than your team, to some extent.  About four of our players got good pt last year, but Bogan and Edwards transferred in, and Kurth And Vucic have seen limited playing time prior to this, and most likely will not play too often once Harris, as well as our two players in situational limbo come back.  Just clarifying.  Also, I do hope Georgia Southern has a good year, if not only to help our RPI.  Good luck!

Also, a big win, heading into a non D1 tuneup (lets hope...) before hosting the regional of CVC.  Congrats Bryce, et al!

wh

Quote from: ChadWC on November 11, 2011, 11:49:20 PM
Apologies for the comment.  Was posting from my phone walking out of Hanner with two season's worth of frustrations boiling over. 

Who wouldn't be after watching a team who we were infinitely more athletic than, kill us on the boards, out hustle us, all while playing 7 guys.  Everytime we made a run, we made some boneheaded mistake like stepping on the out of bounds line, throwing up an errant or rushed shot, and do something to kill ourselves.  We missed Sam Mike, one of our returning post guys.  Hes more of a defense and rebounding player.  Man we could have used those rebounds tonight.

We are young.  Eagle fans have to keep telling ourselves that.  You started more upper classmen than we have on our entire team.  Our freshman post players got welcomed to division 1 basketball tonight.  They got pushed around.  Hopefully we learn and get better.  We better do it fast with games at Wake Forest, SMU, Auburn, and South Florida coming up. 

Again, my comment was ill advised.  I hope you are a great team and our 9 point loss doesn't look bad. 

No big deal, Chad.  I like fans with passion.  Good luck to your guys the rest of the way. 

valpotx

If you are infinitely more athletic than us, you would have gotten the rebounds we got...I understand your frustration in losing, but there comes a time where you just admit the other team was better and stop making excuses.  We lost to Arizona because they are a better team/program overall, and we beat GSU because we are a better team/program.  We lost a lot from last year in 60% of our scoring & 40%+ rebounding, so saying you have FR/SO can't be an excuse against us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

I had a big community event tonight, so I'm just now catching up.  It's very encouraging to see that Will Bogan had a big offensive game - 8-12 FG, 19 pts.  It is hugely important to have a 2 that can score.  As he continues to get more comfortable, it looks like he could be a real difference maker.  Boy, he fell into our laps at just the right time with Brandon leaving.  Ryan Broekhoff - 13-16 FT's, 13 rebounds.  That is a huge game on the boards. You gotta love Ryan.  He can do it all.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on November 11, 2011, 08:03:58 PM
Thanks!  Go Valpo - time to find your inner depth.

I think this Valpo team showed a lot of inner depth at the end of this game on the road. Despite shooting so poorly from beyond the arc they were able to make a very high percentage of 2 point field goals and control the boards to pull out the win on the road. Never too easy of a task. I'm impressed at how Bryce has pulled together this group and they are already playing like a cohesive team.

vuweathernerd

another poor perimeter game. we need to fix that up pretty quick to be successful. we won't win anything close to 20 games this year if we keep shooting so badly from outside.

vu84v2

Saw on the Northwest Times website that Harris stayed home to attend his sister's wedding. 

Looks like as posters we had the classic basketball venues covered.  I was at the Kansas game last night.  Amazing environment, though not close to as good a game as the Duke-Belmont game.  Towson was down 20 after five minutes.

lowposter

You think Cameron Witt wouldnt look kinda good in uniform these days?

Good win on the road.
\lowposter

dylanrocks

Quote from: ChadWC on November 11, 2011, 11:49:20 PMHopefully we learn and get better.  We better do it fast with games at Wake Forest, SMU, Auburn, and South Florida coming up. 

Who says that any of those schools are better than Valpo this year?

Small-conference thinking.

valpofan56

Quote from: dylanrocks on November 12, 2011, 08:05:02 AM
Quote from: ChadWC on November 11, 2011, 11:49:20 PMHopefully we learn and get better.  We better do it fast with games at Wake Forest, SMU, Auburn, and South Florida coming up. 

Who says that any of those schools are better than Valpo this year?

Small-conference thinking.

I was thinking the same thing, the only team that I would say is likely better than Valpo, sight unseen, is Wake Forest.