• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

My fear with Vashil not playing....

Started by chairback, November 14, 2011, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairback

Is that he doesn't play this season and leaves.

If he is redshirted this year and then leaves after the season does he have to sit out a year or can he instantly play? 

sectionee

Why do you think he would leave?  I don't think Valpo can be at fault for his status being what is it can they?

valpotx

Maybe that he is better than he thought (who knows?), and gets someone in his ear about going to another school?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Vashil is dealing with the same mess that Paul Goede was in a few years ago, so the fear of his not playing, getting redshirted, and leaving does bring some concern. We'll just have to see what happens, but if we don't hear anything by Christmas, I have a feeling he won't hear anything until it's too late.

bbtds

One place that I have heard in Indy that is hiring is investigators at the NCAA headquarters. The thing is your resume must be pretty extensive. The NCAA has been saying lately that they are terribly understaffed as far as investigators are concerned. This is just one ramification of that shortage. Have you ever noticed how many scandals they truly have to investigate?

chairback

Valpotx hit it on the nose. This is my biggest fear.  Beas Hamga comes to mind even though I have no clue how he panned out wherever he landed.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: chairback on November 15, 2011, 06:38:59 AM
Valpotx hit it on the nose. This is my biggest fear.  Beas Hamga comes to mind even though I have no clue how he panned out wherever he landed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/36431/beas-hamga
hamga hasn't yet panned out at uab either. last year, he accumulated all of 7 points, while averaging just under 5 min/game.

FWalum

Let's not compare Vashil with Beas.  It seems that Vashil has integrated himself into the team and community unlike Beas who never really participated at all. I hope this waiting ends fairly quickly.

Hamga actually started in UAB's last exhibition game.

FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF  TP  A TO BLK S MIN
21 Hamga, Beas......... c  2-3       0-0      0-0        1  3     4   2   4    2  1    2  0  18

I think this might be his last season of eligibility so he better make hay now or he might go down as one of the most over hyped players in recent memory.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: chairback on November 14, 2011, 09:29:35 PM
If he is redshirted this year and then leaves after the season does he have to sit out a year or can he instantly play? 

Interesting.  If he's on scholarship, it sort of feels like he should pay the same transfer penalty as if he was playing.  But, I don't know the rule.

valpofan56

Quote from: agibson on November 17, 2011, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: chairback on November 14, 2011, 09:29:35 PM

Interesting.  If he's on scholarship, it sort of feels like he should pay the same transfer penalty as if he was playing.  But, I don't know the rule.

He would have to sit out. Not exactly the same situation, but similar to Brandon Wood.  He got hurt his freshman year at SIU and was granted a medical redshirt, but he couldn't play right away at another NCAA D1 school so he went to a JC in between.

swiftmutiny

From what I've seen of him around campus, Vashil enjoys it here at Valpo. I don't think we'll have any problems with him leaving if/when he redshirts.