• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfer Portal Guys

Started by valpofb16, December 10, 2021, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 07, 2022, 08:40:59 PM
Appears he has done his 4 years and is moving on. Was a .500 Valpo QB, didn't turn the ball over too much. Should have started much more than the 8-10 games he did. Happy trails

Yup, too bad he didn't get at least 2 full seasons in as QB1. I know that the pandemic played a role in cutting his playing time, but I don't know what took so long from him to be given the job outright.

usc4valpo

So who is at QB for the Beacos?

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 08, 2022, 06:35:10 PM
So who is at QB for the Beacos?

Update on this coming to The Victory Bell in the morning. Hope you all have subscribed for football content. Just $5 a month or $49.99 for the whole year.

https://www.thevictorybell.com/

Pgmado

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 09, 2022, 07:59:49 AM
Paul, why would you say there is an update coming in the morning when your paid for article states that you have no idea.

There isn't even info on who is taking first team reps?

The question was who is at QB. I asked that direct question to Landon Fox and that was the direct answer he gave me. I'd consider that an update. They've yet to establish a depth chart, at least one that is public anyway. It will be fascinating to see play out, because as of right now I think as many as five guys could be in contention.

The update is no one knows, not even the coaching staff.

valpofb16

Once again it appears our guys who have transferred up showed Valpo have been best option

Tre Purty- IND State- 2GP, stats recorded in Purdue blow out

Jeremiah Orr- Marshall - DNP

Connor Hebbeler- Rutgers - DNP

Jake Ford - Southeastern- Not on roster

valpotx

I didn't know where to put this, but congrats to Donny Navarro on having a successful end to his FBS career.  He played 3 years at Illinois, before using a grad transfer year at Northwestern, where he had his strongest season, even though NW sucked at 1-11.  He definitely used his extra COVID time as best he could, getting 6 years of quality education at Valpo, Illinois, and NW.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Last years portal guys

No home:
#1 Keyon Turner
#2 Chuck Maxwell
#4 Matt Ross
#6 Jordan Bingham
#7 Josh Becton
#8 Teryn Berry
#24 Marvin Rushing
#25 Jahni Clarke
#52 Danny Files
#58 James Doerer
#75 Gabe Watkins - Daigle
#86 Andre Tarver
#88 Brian Hunter

Landed:
#13 Braden Contreras - Illinois State
#14 Anthony Hightower - Coffeyville CC
#15 Dom Grguric - Bowling Green
#16 Mason Kaplan - Illinois State
#64 Ryan Merklinger - Western Illinois
#79 Andrew Covert - Michigan Tech
#89 George Dristiliaris - Butler
#99 Chase Randall - Arizona

Once again the portal shows its head. If you are an upperclassmen not ideal to try and transfer from non scholarship. Some guys will land places after spring but many depth charts are set by then

FBFan22

Danny Files and Matt Ross are still at Valpo. Any chance they return to the team in the fall?

valpofb16

Very second hand information. But I've heard the portal is a one way street with Fox.

VULB#62

Well...... that tells you something.

16, your portal status update needs to be shared with the FB staff (and they need to be tracking this themselves) so they can counsel guys who think the grass is greener. But after counseling, once they opt into the portal, I get Fox's position.

valpofb16

Honestly.... Look at the best players since portal took off in '20

Neisner, Purty, Dawson, Washington, Hines , Hodge , Hebbeler, Ross

Probably all guys Valpo does not get without the Portal. Incoming has been better than outgoing. Really stability on the OL is what the Fox era has lacked.

Think only one of the freshman is back from last season (Kotoles). Need to find a way to keep these guys.

The two ISU guys were picked off, Grguric and Merklinger followed former Valpo coaches. Outside Navarro the portal has had very little success.

I am not sure what Maxwell (listed at 5'5 135) Becton ( 5'8 155) and Turner ( 5'9 165 ) leaving as Juniors accomplished. That's bad for their degree and their measurable aren't favorable for even the PFL league

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 21, 2023, 05:10:40 PM
Last years portal guys

No home:
#1 Keyon Turner
#2 Chuck Maxwell
#4 Matt Ross
#6 Jordan Bingham
#7 Josh Becton
#8 Teryn Berry
#24 Marvin Rushing
#25 Jahni Clarke
#52 Danny Files
#58 James Doerer
#75 Gabe Watkins - Daigle
#86 Andre Tarver
#88 Brian Hunter

Landed:
#13 Braden Contreras - Illinois State
#14 Anthony Hightower - Coffeyville CC
#15 Dom Grguric - Bowling Green
#16 Mason Kaplan - Illinois State
#64 Ryan Merklinger - Western Illinois
#79 Andrew Covert - Michigan Tech
#89 George Dristiliaris - Butler
#99 Chase Randall - Arizona

Once again the portal shows its head. If you are an upperclassmen not ideal to try and transfer from non scholarship. Some guys will land places after spring but many depth charts are set by then
Thanks for this I was curious. What happened with Turner. He was really solid early then kind of fell off.

valpofb16

Had personal fouls in 4-5 games to where he was downright benched vs. Saint Thomas.

Unfortunate with how his career started

NotBryceDrew

Unlike the last couple seasons, seems like there was no large transfer splashes this year

valpofb16

Paul has some non transfer related news that should be in his primer.

In terms of transfers we actually have more heading into summer than usual. Most big big name guys Washington, Dawson , Hines committed during that phase

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 24, 2023, 02:05:11 PM
Paul has some non transfer related news that should be in his primer.

In terms of transfers we actually have more heading into summer than usual. Most big big name guys Washington, Dawson , Hines committed during that phase
After spring practices there seems to be increased activity so I expect us to add some.

JD24

I couldn't figure out if this was a new entry but social media had a now former DB announcing his entry into the transfer portal.

I don't care about the transfer portal all that much but I do have a pretty negative response to what is to me self aggrandizing announcements some of these guys make. This was a guy who either didn't play or barely played last year and he's "opening up" his recruitment as if Coach Prime is on the other line and he's ready to make the jump.

I'm old I guess.

valpofb16

If you play 1 game in 3 years at Valpo your options are low NAIA or D3.

The kids dad is the HC at Michigan power house Cass Tech. Wonder if they were trying to build a bridge.

The "100% Recruitment Open phase is fun. Nonscholarship is different, but if it was a full ride program, that scholarship would be redirected immediately

usc4valpo

Valpo needs to take advantage of the mass exodus of transfers fleeing from Coach Prime!

valpofb16

Roster looks borderline full for next year minus some last minute add ons.

Could see 3-5 guys this summer

RSFR Akim Abdur Rahim hitting portal. That's two DBs during spring practice

FBFan22

Agrred - the fall camp roster is full.  In fact, there will likely be a few players that are participating in spring practice (now) that will not be invited to fall camp to make room for all the committed recuits and the summer transfers.  That is a good thing!  This coaching staff continues to do well in recruiting and is raising the talent to what is hopefully a PFL championship contending level. 

valpotx

Looks like Jeremiah Orr lasted 1 season at Marshall and is now at Hampton
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Nick Price also double transferred, both would have played 30+ games here and are at less prestigious schools.

I've been around program for a decade. Seen 100+ transfers for football reasons. Navarro only one to really work out.

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 17, 2023, 06:37:58 AM
Nick Price also double transferred, both would have played 30+ games here and are at less prestigious schools.

I've been around program for a decade. Seen 100+ transfers for football reasons. Navarro only one to really work out.

So are these guys being sold a bill of goods by coaches at other schools, who lead them to believe that incredible opportunities await? (Please don't tell me that pro football possibilities are part of the appeal. I get that for mid-major basketball, but not for FCS football.)

I have known for a long time that in higher ed generally, the grass can appear to be lush green elsewhere, when in reality it can fall considerably short. It sounds like that's the case with this football transfer portal. In addition, the young men lose out on the experience of being part of a team and university community.

JD24

Quote from: David81 on August 21, 2023, 01:50:31 AMSo are these guys being sold a bill of goods by coaches at other schools, who lead them to believe that incredible opportunities await? 
I'd say its more likely that it starts with them believing it themselves and supported by their inner circle.