• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Media coverage

Started by humbleopinion, December 23, 2021, 07:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I'm frustrated by the lack of coverage that The Beacons are getting this season.  I realize that if the Beacons win the NCAA tournament, the Times will be willing to print what the AP puts out, but I'm wondering what can happen until that happens.

Currently we are in a chicken and the egg situation; the paper isn't printing articles as there isn't much interest in Beacon basketball, but it's tough to generate interest if no one in the region hears anything about the team.  Yesterday's game yielded a 100 word story and a stock photo stuck on the bottom of page 2 between a story of Colts named to the Pro Bowl and the announcement of the new Oakland A's manager.

Since the editors have no idea that I am reading about Valpo as I subscribe to the print version, I decided to go to the online edition to click on the story.  In that edition, I could only click on the page, so the editors may have thought that I was interested in Oakland management moves rather than Kevion Taylor's hot shooting. I ended up entering "Valpo Beacons" in the Times search box and the results reminded me of how little the editors care about the Beacons.

Maybe this is a question for pgmado, but what can we do as supporters of Beacon basketball to convince the editors that there is interest in the team? As individuals on this board can we take steps to act as a catalyst to increase attention for ARC (and other MVC venues) happenings?
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

Are you inferring to the local news source, for which many in this country are fiscally suffering?

humbleopinion

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 23, 2021, 07:12:47 AM
Are you inferring to the local news source, for which many in this country are fiscally suffering?

Yes, I maintain a print subscription to support local news coverage. I just wish that the local news that is chosen to be covered would be news that I care about.
Beamin' Beacons

Chairback

To me the University has to beef up their internal communication about the program. It is almost as non existent as the paper.  No advance marketing or communication is anywhere. No one outside Of die hard valpo fans know when games are. 

We are very lucky to have the quality and depth of coverage PO provides.  He is the best in the Valley by far. USH is phenomenal. 

humbleopinion

Quote from: Chairback on December 23, 2021, 08:48:37 AMWe are very lucky to have the quality and depth of coverage PO provides.  He is the best in the Valley by far. USH is phenomenal.

Absolutely!  His fine work deserves a larger audience.
Beamin' Beacons

vu84v2

Let me offer an out-of-the-box suggestion. While I agree that the university needs to boost its communication about the program (internally and externally), they also need to find a solution to getting local media coverage. Since it seems that the northwest Indiana papers' resources are so low and stretched so thin, bring on several Valpo journalism students as interns (unpaid or minimally paid) to write articles on games. If there is concern about insufficient coverage in the Torch, the students could write articles that are posted in both. Great experience for the students, a low cost solution for the newspaper, and better exposure for the program. Please note that for the newspaper that PO writes for, this would be intended to complement his fine work.

valpopal

I noticed the lack of coverage this morning as I read the newspaper, and I thought it especially annoying since yesterday's game day was a special outreach to the community with free admission to those under 18, discounts to all adults, a t-shirt giveaway, free family photos with Santa, etc. Of course, few in the area would have known about the promotion since it wasn't reported with an advance story in the paper, but I would expect at least a mention in the paper about such a goodwill effort with a holiday theme in the morning edition after the event and two days before Christmas, especially as a follow-up to build on momentum from the enthusiasm witnessed for the volleyball tournament championship game.

Obviously, if there were a substantial loyal general following of VU in the region, economics would dictate more local media coverage. That there isn't speaks to a period of disconnect that has only grown in recent years. I have spoken to friends and VU alums who have lived in Valparaiso for more than 60 years, much longer than I have, and they inform me they have never seen such a gap between the university and community as there appears to be now; that split extends beyond and might even be rooted in areas other than sports. The lack of media coverage either reflects this situation or only exacerbates it. I know Pres. Padilla has mentioned connecting with the community as one of his goals; clearly much needs to be done.

wh

Excellent comments and suggestions above. Additionally, President Padilla needs to sit down with the Times and PT managing editors and editorial boards for a larger discussion about how the university can better connect to the community, support regional development, help drive the economic engine, elevate educational opportunities, etc. Position the university as wanting to make a difference right here where it resides. If he can build that kind of relationship, they will improve their sports coverage with the snap of a finger.

Pgmado

My frustrations are the same as your frustrations. There's a lot of inside baseball going on. The Times (and the Post, which has completely punted on VU coverage) has a desire to serve preps first and foremost. Staffing is down at both papers, with The Times not even having a fulltime sports writer since James Boyd left. That means a ton of the daily minutiae has fallen to correspondents. Long and short of it, preps is always going to win out. I'm exploring avenues right now where I can continue VU coverage or maybe even beef it up a little. What this means, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps a substack site. I'd imagine I could easily get a handful of people excited about that. Whether it means enough to support an endeavor is another question. Something to think about over the holidays to be sure.

Thank you all for reading and listening over the years. I know we don't always agree, but we also don't have to. Covering college basketball/athletics is all I've ever wanted to do.

Chairback

And you do it well PO!!!  You have created a historical legacy of valpo basketball.

Our community is lucky to have both you and Todd associated with Valpo athletics.

Valpo89

I'm as disappointed as anyone. And I have quite a history with the paper.
I'm on the verge of canceling my subscription.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on December 23, 2021, 12:20:30 PM
My frustrations are the same as your frustrations. There's a lot of inside baseball going on. The Times (and the Post, which has completely punted on VU coverage) has a desire to serve preps first and foremost. Staffing is down at both papers, with The Times not even having a fulltime sports writer since James Boyd left. That means a ton of the daily minutiae has fallen to correspondents. Long and short of it, preps is always going to win out. I'm exploring avenues right now where I can continue VU coverage or maybe even beef it up a little. What this means, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps a substack site. I'd imagine I could easily get a handful of people excited about that. Whether it means enough to support an endeavor is another question. Something to think about over the holidays to be sure.

Thank you all for reading and listening over the years. I know we don't always agree, but we also don't have to. Covering college basketball/athletics is all I've ever wanted to do.

Thanks Paul, we appreciate you, even though the Packers will always suck.  Forever Elway!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 23, 2021, 03:26:00 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone. And I have quite a history with the paper.
I'm on the verge of canceling my subscription.

You wrote great stories on Valpo basketball in the good old days.

wh

Until 2 years we had 2 newspapers carrying pregame and postgame articles for every game, plus regular feature stories. Suddenly, the Post Tribune bowed out. Now, more shockingly, the Times has discontinued coverage. Paul Oren would fix this problem if he could, but as a free lance sports writer he can't influence anything. It's up to these people to figure this out and get it solved:

• President Padilla
• Mark LaBarbera - Director of Athletics
• Sarah Pruess - Executive Associate Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator
• Erik Weiler - Senior Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations
• Aaron Leavitt - Assistant Director of Athletics for Media Relations
• Brandon Vickery - Assistant Director of Athletics for Media Relations

If these people worked for me and held up their hands and said, "What can we do?," I would fire them on the spot and find people with the ability to think off the script. FIX THIS!

Pgmado

I don't think you're seeing the forest through the trees. Brandon and Aaron do a great job every year of pitching stories and providing the local media (myself included) with storylines for the teams. Those two should be commended for the work they do.

None of those people listed have anything to do with the changing media landscape and the idea that people don't read the newspaper to read about the games.

If I had the answers, I would've solved the equation by now, but to think that this is an issue because people at Valpo aren't doing their jobs is incorrect.

FWalum

I hear a lot of people wanting more and better coverage. I also hear from Paul that the reason for reduced coverage is the media companies losing readership and reducing staffs. But what I haven't heard is how we can support Paul and his basketball content. Can Union Street hoops be supported by members of this forum and perhaps others interested in VU sports? Could this be done through Patreon or other methods of monetary support? I don't currently support other media/YouTube content producers via Patreon but might be willing to do that for more Union Street Hoops content. What do other's on this forum think about supporting Paul and VU basketball/sports coverage in general in this fashion?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: FWalum on December 24, 2021, 09:45:25 AM
I hear a lot of people wanting more and better coverage. I also hear from Paul that the reason for reduced coverage is the media companies losing readership and reducing staffs. But what I haven't heard is how we can support Paul and his basketball content. Can Union Street hoops be supported by members of this forum and perhaps others interested in VU sports? Could this be done through Patreon or other methods of monetary support? I don't currently support other media/YouTube content producers via Patreon but might be willing to do that for more Union Street Hoops content. What do other's on this forum think about supporting Paul and VU basketball/sports coverage in general in this fashion?
*Crickets* Really nobody has an opinion or idea about this??
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on December 24, 2021, 09:25:54 AM
I don't think you're seeing the forest through the trees. Brandon and Aaron do a great job every year of pitching stories and providing the local media (myself included) with storylines for the teams. Those two should be commended for the work they do.

None of those people listed have anything to do with the changing media landscape and the idea that people don't read the newspaper to read about the games.

If I had the answers, I would've solved the equation by now, but to think that this is an issue because people at Valpo aren't doing their jobs is incorrect.

The changing media landscape is "the forest." The NWI Times discontinuing coverage of VU men's basketball is "the tree." You're at 30,000 ft. I'm at ground level. I get it.

If you would, kindly humor me while I examine the trees down here a bit longer. Sometime within the past week or so, the Times discontinued coverage of VU men's basketball. They didn't go out of business.  They didn't eliminate the sports section. They didn't discontinue local sports reporting. Presumably, they didn't save newsprint. As far as I can see, all they are saving are a few $50-$100 payments to a freelance writer over the next couple of months. This is pocket change of no value toward saving the ship, and yet they did it anyway. Why?

More specifically, no other program in NWI, HS or college, received as much coverage as Valpo men's basketball - regular feature stories, game day build-up stories, and postgame stories. How does the king of coverage go not to less coverage but no coverage of any kind, seemingly overnight. How exactly did that happen?

Since no news outlet covered the William & Mary game, what purpose was there in having a postgame press conference? You were the only reporter there, and you had no story to write. Presumably, that's the next thing to go, correct?

BTW, congratulations on a nice feature story about the IU Northwest RedHawks women's basketball team. Apparently, having you cover a D-2 women's sport at an extension school in Gary is still in the Times' purview.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/region-rivalries-set-aside-history-to-help-redhawks-soar/article_13fc0dc4-d885-5c43-b441-c60f91176ec9.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

valpotx

I believe that IU-Northwest is NAIA D-1, and have to believe that PO was asked to cover, due to all of the local connections on the team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on December 26, 2021, 04:17:18 AM
I believe that IU-Northwest is NAIA D-1, and have to believe that PO was asked to cover, due to all of the local connections on the team.

The kings of coverage in NWI sports abandoned in the blink of an eye, and our apparently former beat reporter is now covering girls basketball where? State powerhouses Crown Point or Lake Central where a few hundred people might give a crap? No, lowly IUN where exactly 13 families even remotely care. This is the "changing landscape" of global communications at work? This is survival of the fittest in a declining media market?

humbleopinion

From Paul's comment, I don't think there has been a decision to never cover VU sports again, it's just going to be a low priority.

I did notice that the latest Union Street Hoops link was independent of NWI Times.

If PO would include obituaries and sudoku with articles about VU, I could drop my subscription to NWI Times.
Beamin' Beacons

Chairback

The university should fund the coverage if there is none. Or getting moving on their own communication.   

wh

Quote from: Chairback on December 26, 2021, 09:28:13 AM
The university should fund the coverage if there is none. Or getting moving on their own communication. 

I can only imagine how well that would work out. Look at the track record for "Valpo Weekly," a 5-minute internally produced video interview of our head basketball coach conducted by Brandon Vickrey.

Brandon opens every interview with these words, "Welcome to another edition of Valpo Weekly." Men's basketball season is beginning it's 10th week. To date, the Athletic Department has published exactly 2 Valpo "Weekly" interviews - one in October to kick off the season and one since. This takes "over promise and under deliver" to a whole new extreme.

It's painfully obvious that there is little to no accountability for behind-the-scene performance in the athletic department. The signs are everywhere. Chairback, one of your recent posts showed the glaring contrast in game day experience from past to present. Add to that the blatant disregard for a broken PA system for years and more recently the broken overhead scoreboard. Then consider the adage that for every rat you see, there are 10 you don't see, and it's not a big stretch to envision a rudderless, captainless ship with people doing just enough to keep it afloat. The current workforce can be thankful it's not my problem to solve.

In any event, there's not a person that's part of the current culture over there that I would let within sniffing distance of rolling out a new internal media platform.

crusadermoe

I see the logic of favoring high schools as the top priority in these local papers its their bread and butter.  I have seen that across the country when I travel.  Pro and major colleges will always dominate the larger papers.

However, I do wonder how "regional universities" compare with our local coverage. I am pretty sure I have seen more Bradley coverage in Peoria and Illinois State coverage in that city. Drake, Evansville, and others would be interesting to know.

We've wondered for 15-20 years about the Valpo regional enigma. While there were good historical theories like race, white collar-blue collar, Chicago's shadow, and most of all very bad VU basketball for a decade or more. But the team started winning in the late 90s and 2000s, the demographics weren't as stark,but little changed.  Now the new media landscape need to focus locally would suggest that more not less coverage go to a local university that is so large in ratio to its town.   Just a real puzzler.  But it would likely correlate to poor community attendance.

vu84v2

very bad VU basketball for a decade or more

I am not saying that it is great now (but could be as this season progresses), but you need to consider the following over the last decade:
-NCAA tournament births in 2013 and 2015
-NIT run in 2016
-NIT birth in 2017

Perhaps what may have changed (within the community and beyond) are attention span, alternatives for entertainment, and loyalty.