• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Missouri St 1/15 4 pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 15, 2022, 05:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Sagarin rates Mo. St. at 97 and  Valpo 175.  Donovan returns, but he can't be the focus of our defense as Mosley and Prim have been doing the damage outside (Prim shooting 45% from 3 and just scored 33 against SIU) and in.

Can the Beacons build on their performance taking Loyola to two OT's?  By any measure, this will be a major challenge for the team.  Kobe has been returning to form, but has not yet played as well as he performed in Wisconsin. If Trevor is set to go, he can help steady the offense in tense situations.  Kevion seems to have found his stroke, and Kithier's inside defense was on display. If we can stay our of foul trouble, we might be able to pull this one out.
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

I think there should be a disclaimer at the heading.  Give some of the posters a fair warning that valpo has a 46% chance of winning at home against Missouri state and there might be some negative comments. 

Missouri state board says valpo isn't a very good team with only 6 D1 wins.  If valpo wins Missouri state would be the second best win out of those now 7 D1 wins.  Tulane was a very good win but outside of that the D1 wins are very dull. 

The Tulsa local weather man (valpo grad I might add) calls for Tulsa to get a light snow dusting today.  Says majority of the Midwest with the exception of valpo will see snow.
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Des Moines had 11 in yesterday.

Must win for Valpo and Lottich.

justducky

NativeCheesehead

Yeah I agree. I'm usually the one critical of those calling a game in January "must win" but in this case it's dead on. 1-5 will be really tough to come back from and avoid Thursday in STL.

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 15, 2022, 09:44:05 AM
I think there should be a disclaimer at the heading.  Give some of the posters a fair warning that valpo has a 46% chance of winning at home against Missouri state and there might be some negative comments. 

That's like giving "fair warning" that it's going to get dark outside when the sun goes down.

AB

Missouri State plays and up and down Helter skelter style, is this a favorable match up for Valpo?? Do we look for transition opportunities or try to win grinding it out. Kithier and Krikke will have a difficult time staying out of foul trouble with Prim. Must play a 40 minute game today, especially on D to have a chance. Have no idea if the locals are interested in showing up today.

wh

IMO our most glaring weakness is permitting multiple shot attempts in the same possession. That factor alone has cost us wins in close games. Not boxing out is the obvious part. The other part is not moving laterally toward the ball before it comes down. Simply put, the other team is swarming the ball while we're standing flat footed hoping it dropswhere we're standing. Luke is the "big man" teacher. He gets a solid F. Ben is by far the worst at boxing out and equally the worst going after the ball. I don't see where bulking up this year has benefited his game. He's still a finesse player (which is fine), but a slower, less agile version with less staying power before he runs out of gas.

valpotx

The Missouri State board is correct.  Valpo isn't a very good team...yet.  However, we can beat or lose to anyone in this league, with our players. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

tjjvalpo

Where is the defensive intensity we had at Loyola?

Chairback

valpolaw

I know people have complained about the lights at the Arc but today is the first time I really noticed it on TV. It looks so dark in there and makes the whole screen on the TV dull and dark.

VUSWIM08-12

ML had us ready for this game LOL. Weak weak weak weak coach. MLB was lucky with the Drew's, now we see his competency in the Lottich hire. Lucky to only be down 12. Defense is solid, but O doesn't exist...same shat different day.

hailcrusaders

A hint of momentum at the end of the half there. Hope we can build on it. Otherwise, it's been another lackluster offensive showing so far, as we've perhaps come to expect. I might have to start keeping track of how long our scoring droughts get. Feels like there's a 4+ minute doozy every game.
#CrusadersForever

valpotx

It's funny how we don't remember some of the scoring droughts that we also experienced during the Bryce as HC days
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Outrebounded Mo St 10-7 in the last eight minutes of the half
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

Bryce and some Scoring droughts.  Some seasons more than others. Not to the extent or consistency we see since he left. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

Go back to 6:28 mins left in the 1st  half and watch Gordon with the ball and him signal and shrug to Lottich what do we do. 

usc4valpo

The ARC is dead. There's more noise at the library.

NativeCheesehead

Nothing like (poop)ing the bed in a national TV game.

mj

This team is...not good. Actually, I'm not sure we have a team out there or just a bunch of guys doing their own thing.

I believe that we will win.

VU2014

I'm so sick watching a mediocre Valpo Basketball product.

We need a change at the top.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: Chairback on January 15, 2022, 05:02:20 PMGo back to 6:28 mins left in the 1st  half and watch Gordon with the ball and him signal and shrug to Lottich what do we do. 
Leadership at its finest, 300K a year to not call timeouts when it really matters. ML set up a good play against SIU, Kevion just missed the shot, but then we dont try against Loyola TWICE, obviously hoping they don't set up their D but instead Sheldon takes a wack AF shot. At least our D with the Bryce O droughts were better. FIGURE OUT WHAT OUR IDENTITY IS LOTTICH

VUSWIM08-12

Terrible call on Kithier, what a joke from the refs, Lottivh just stands there, same old crap. stick up for your guys

Chairback

Agree with you swim. Horrible call.  It was great D. 

He has to get on the refs for that.