• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs UNI 1/19 6pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 19, 2022, 07:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

The Carter cramp here at the end is probably legitimate, but convenient timing for UNI no less, who has no timeouts.
#CrusadersForever

vuny98

Up 7 with 1:30 to go.... and we don't score a single point.

covufan

We

Need

To

Be

Able

To

Close

Games

Out

Great comeback from down 9 to up 7. Need to finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vok22

I can't stop laughing. This is hilarious.

Chairback

If we aren't going to take a timeout you think at this point we would have some sort of end of game play we have been practicing. 

VU2014

What a joke...

Up 7 and Valpo just casually chokes the lead within 50 seconds. I'm so sick of this crap

VUSWIM08-12

MLB and ML are dog  :censored: , they're without Green and it still goes to OT. Absolutely disgusting! If we lose , season is over , we're relegated to Thursday... and can't win 4 in a row , how are we this bad with a good chunk of talent? Players or coach ?

valpotx

Again, this goes back to how clutch you are as a player.  A bunch of really stupid turnovers and fouls.  Coaches can't control Kevion trying to throw a pass through a UNI player, or people falling down on their own, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

QuoteAgain, this goes back to how clutch you are as a player.

Who recruited all these non-clutch players to Valpo?
I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

Being up 7 with a little over a minute, not calling timeout again with the last procession........stupid.

I'm glad must have came around and see it as bad coaching.  1-2 years ago several would say, "We are so close.  Two ot's against some of the better teams in the conference, could go either way, we are doing better than Loyola did when they first entered the MVC"  Glad most have acknowledged that the coach is bad.
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

Up 3 with :53 left. Let's see how we can lose this game.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

In bounds plays. I have 10 of them that worked well with my middle school girls basketball team I coached.  It's not that hard. 

mj

hailcrusaders

"Big shot in the arm for the Crusaders!"

Way to gut it out, men.

Because I have to have something to complain about: the last 1:25 of regulation and 5:00 of overtime took 28 minutes of real time.....the NCAA should take another timeout away like they did a few years ago.
#CrusadersForever

nkvu

Fully expected to title this post "How to Lose Close (when you don't lose big)". Low and behold we actually pulled one out, so I"ll have put that one back in the drawer.  Dare we hope this might be a turning point?  Won't go that far, but at least it's a start.

valpotx

Quote from: mj on January 19, 2022, 07:59:41 PM

How many close games are you able to recruit as a college head coach?  I highly doubt that every player on the team has been viewed in such a situation, and it comes down to you as an individual.  Someone like Kevion, as a GT, shouldn't be coughing up the ball so easily in crunch time.  Anderson shouldn't fall down, even though he is gutting out a back injury.  Passes should not be lolly-gagged or telegraphed.  Krikke should be able to feel his guy trying to sneak behind him on the key pass that Carter took away in regulation.  Those are individual plays.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyEIT777

Great games from Taylor, Kithier and Anderson.

Now, we just beat a team that didn't have their top guy (possibly best player in the league) and Carter who had lit us up all night went out with cramps before overtime.  We had a 7 point lead with 1:25 to go and we blew it. We almost squandered it in overtime too. I'm glad we won, but Valpo had better pull off a nice streak of wins to get me to get excited about them again.

On a positive note, we beat the team I think we match up with worst in the conference so glad we at least split with them.

elephtheria47

Good win.

Coaching still lacking...called a time out at the end of 1H that resulted in a turnover and +2 for them. Let them Play at the end of regulation that resulted in another turnover.

But we've all discussed our displeasure. So here to just enjoy the win. The players are obviously still scrapping.

vok22

Quote from: valpotx on January 19, 2022, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: mj on January 19, 2022, 07:59:41 PM

How many close games are you able to recruit as a college head coach?  I highly doubt that every player on the team has been viewed in such a situation, and it comes down to you as an individual.  Someone like Kevion, as a GT, shouldn't be coughing up the ball so easily in crunch time.  Anderson shouldn't fall down, even though he is gutting out a back injury.  Passes should not be lolly-gagged or telegraphed.  Krikke should be able to feel his guy trying to sneak behind him on the key pass that Carter took away in regulation.  Those are individual plays.

So your theory is that we just happened to recruit an entire team full of non clutch players and that nothing can be done about it? You don't think that passing can be coached? If Krikke "should be able to feel" that, then why didn't he? If he should have felt it but didn't are you saying that he was just born with the inability to feel that? If not, then why isn't coach bringing out the best in his players and keeping them focused and aware?

valpotx

You can practice and coach passing and situational awareness, but if someone throws it like my 3 year old son to his teammate in the game, that is on him/them. 

Your guess is as good as mine on how the players think that their defender is just going to stay on one side of them when closely guarded.  It seems to always happen to us when we let our guard down or get on autopilot.  We do the same pass over and over at the top of the key, yet we don't think that they are eventually going to try and intercept what becomes an automatic pass to the same spot without looking at your teammate?  Come on, man, that is all the players.  You can say 'focus' or 'watch out,' but you as a player should be thinking of this crap.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Wins are great even when they don't look impressive.  Box says 26 minutes for Darius, 31 for Trevor and 15 for Preston. That would be 27 minutes with two of them on the floor together? Didn't seem that much. For the trio a total of 8 assists vs 3 mistakes and 6-0 by DeAveiro.

So fewer minutes for Edwards and a bunch more point guard minutes!  :o If I didn't know better I might think that was a solid coaching adjustment ???

oklahomamick

Taylor went 5-9 from 3 point land.  Is he our best 3 point shooter?

I will say that Lottich has never really recruited or had a good 3 point shooter on his team.  He had Fazekas but that kind of fell in his lap.  Outside of that, who has been a Rowdy, Peters, Harris, etc, etc.........
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2022, 08:53:31 PM
Taylor went 5-9 from 3 point land.  Is he our best 3 point shooter?

I will say that Lottich has never really recruited or had a good 3 point shooter on his team.  He had Fazekas but that kind of fell in his lap.  Outside of that, who has been a Rowdy, Peters, Harris, etc, etc.........

Don't look now, our 3 pt % is now 34.6% as a team.  But yes, even though it looks funny with him not jumping, he is definitely our best long range shooter.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on January 19, 2022, 08:57:29 PMDon't look now, our 3 pt % is now 34.6% as a team
Big improvement in our team 3 point %. Enormous improvement in our point guard play. Our team Assist to TO's is also remarkably better but we still struggle to stay competitive. Could somebody explain our record to me?