• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at SIU 1/30 4:00 p.m. ESPN+

Started by humbleopinion, January 30, 2022, 05:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Valpo isn't the type school to pay someone to go away. Sadly we're beholden to whatever was signed in his extension.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 31, 2022, 04:38:16 PMI am not offering an opinion of whether Matt Lottich should be dismissed, but I will point out that most schools who dismiss their coach and pay the early termination fee often do so using "special" donations from "friends of the program". I am not aware of Valpo's basketball program having donors who would, beyond their normal donations, be willing to make this amount of additional donations. Whether you agree or disagree, I think that there would be tremendous push back from faculty if Valpo pays $370K out of its current operating budget after recent pay cuts and temporary freezing of retirement contributions. Remember, even before the pandemic faculty at Valpo were taking less than the market rate for their services because they identify with Valpo's mission. In addition, if this pushes them to feel that Valpo has "lost its way" and more choose to leave (via early retirement or otherwise), Valpo will need to replace many of them with salaries that are closer to the market rate. On the other hand, there is a long term negative financial impact from not having a winning basketball program. The basketball program at the university where I work has had a significant turnaround this year (so far). Our Dean, who is a tremendous fundraiser, recently said "alumni are happy when the basketball team wins and, whether you like it or not, they donate more money when they are happy with the team." President Padilla has a tough needle to thread.

While it's not of the donation level you're referring to, I do know of a couple older donors who contributed significant amounts to athletics who were very upset by the mascot change and will not be donating further.

Just Sayin

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on January 31, 2022, 07:03:47 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 31, 2022, 04:38:16 PMI am not offering an opinion of whether Matt Lottich should be dismissed, but I will point out that most schools who dismiss their coach and pay the early termination fee often do so using "special" donations from "friends of the program". I am not aware of Valpo's basketball program having donors who would, beyond their normal donations, be willing to make this amount of additional donations. Whether you agree or disagree, I think that there would be tremendous push back from faculty if Valpo pays $370K out of its current operating budget after recent pay cuts and temporary freezing of retirement contributions. Remember, even before the pandemic faculty at Valpo were taking less than the market rate for their services because they identify with Valpo's mission. In addition, if this pushes them to feel that Valpo has "lost its way" and more choose to leave (via early retirement or otherwise), Valpo will need to replace many of them with salaries that are closer to the market rate. On the other hand, there is a long term negative financial impact from not having a winning basketball program. The basketball program at the university where I work has had a significant turnaround this year (so far). Our Dean, who is a tremendous fundraiser, recently said "alumni are happy when the basketball team wins and, whether you like it or not, they donate more money when they are happy with the team." President Padilla has a tough needle to thread.

While it's not of the donation level you're referring to, I do know of a couple older donors who contributed significant amounts to athletics who were very upset by the mascot change and will not be donating further.

The price of trying to be woke.

valpo tundra

A Vashil highlight reel will always bring a smile to a Valpo fan. Oddly enough, this video emphasized that he was the Valpo career blocks leader, led the nation in blocks one year, and was a two-time Defensive Player of the Year while showing dozens of dunks and bunnies and showing exactly one block.

oklahomamick

lol, yes I noticed that. 

Teams were afraid to drive the lane. 

Everyone knows Vashil has great character and was mayor of Valpo during his stay.  However, Vashil was not a very good basketball player when he arrived on campus.  His growth as a player was impressive. 

Do we see any similar growth in the players since Lottich took over?  I mean the few that stay more than a couple years.  Each year we say this player is going to be good.  Then they either don't develop or just leave. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Wow, seriously, whoever put together that Vashil highlight package, was either trying to play up his limited offensive ability for his pro ambitions, or had no idea who Vashil was as a player.  You literally did see other teams immediately reverse course, when they ran into him in the lane.  It was insane to watch the impact on defense in his final seasons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

The emergence of the transfer portal as a real-life version of a baseball card swap meet makes the longevity of players like Vashil increasingly difficult for mid-majors. Nowadays, the school that patiently develops a raw but talented player for a year or two may be rewarded by a transfer to a more prominent basketball program that has room for the polished version.

tjjvalpo

This loss pretty much guarantees that we will be playing on Thursday of Arch Madness. Even we tie for sixth, SIU will own the tie breaker.

usc4valpo

Yep David81, welcome to NCAA sports today, with incredibly wimpy weak leadership and where the powerful become more powerful and the weaklings get weaker.