• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at MoSt 2/12 @ 3pm

Started by humbleopinion, February 12, 2022, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I suppose that this game can be seen as warmup for Arch Madness: playing a game that we aren't expected to win in Missouri.

It would be nice to keep Mosley under twenty points and stay even on the boards. Kithier would be big help against Prim, but I would think that making sure that he is ready to come back is more important than pushing it for this game.
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

I usually make the 2.5 hour drive from Tulsa to Springfield for this game, but not this year.....
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

They are pressuring our top of the key handoff offensive well.

Mosley picked up his pivot foot on that fadeaway step bucket.   

Just Sayin

Is this game on tv?  What channel. Not available on ESPN+

valpotx

How do you not call that Mosley push off?  He extends his elbow on Darius to get space...
"Don't mess with Texas"

hckjag

mj

I believe that we will win.

valpotx

What can you do, when they are hitting some ridiculous shots?  I wouldn't call that game an embarrassment.  We just couldn't shoot in the second half, including several easy bunnies right at the hoop.  I'd rather lose games through crappy shooting, versus high turnover games, so there is the only positive to come from this game.  We can't shoot, but at least we don't have as many bone-headed turnovers :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Yeah 2 guys shooting 2-11 is what we want to see.

A roster of limited talent....unlike what was advertised.

VU2014

Another shellacking

3 more years of this...

SanityLost17

Reminder. 

If Clay would have stayed at Valpo we would have been touting him as our best player. 

at MoSt he is usually a role player. 

Let that soak in.   

oklahomamick

5 games left. I bet we don't win more than 1 of them. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

I can't remember the last time I started watching a Valpo game that I didn't finish--until yesterday. :( This is really getting old.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Valpo's roster talent wise isn't as good as what was hyped prior to the start of the season. It will be interesting in the off season if we can improve the quality of talent.

valporun

I see that we have about 7-8 guys on this roster that will be replaced because they are seniors of some variety of time served, and then who knows if any of our freshmen transfer. I know Palesse was a redshirt, plus Connor Barrett, a sophomore, didn't really play, but I haven't followed the board as closely this season, but we have a lot of holes to fill for 2022-23, plus who knows if Lottich stays past 2023 with the new AD in July. I'll be reading the board a bit more frequently, but I have trying not to read all the board content as most of it reads the same as the game before.

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 13, 2022, 08:25:48 AMValpo's roster talent wise isn't as good as what was hyped prior to the start of the season.

True and false. With every roster player fully healthy I thought we were top 4 and with a few breaks might finish better. In retrospect 5'th was closer to being true. Even with Trevor, Slim and Connor healthy the matchups with MSU are bad and losing 7 out of 10 to them sounds about right. I think they win in St Louis.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on February 13, 2022, 09:57:55 AM
I see that we have about 7-8 guys on this roster that will be replaced because they are seniors of some variety of time served, and then who knows if any of our freshmen transfer. I know Palesse was a redshirt, plus Connor Barrett, a sophomore, didn't really play, but I haven't followed the board as closely this season, but we have a lot of holes to fill for 2022-23, plus who knows if Lottich stays past 2023 with the new AD in July. I'll be reading the board a bit more frequently, but I have trying not to read all the board content as most of it reads the same as the game before.

Not true.  Only Anderson, Taylor and Gordon are done eligibility wise.  We have one signed guy right now. Kithier and King have another year available. I would expect Emil to graduate and get on with his engineering career though he is only a junior eligibility wise.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Quote from: vu72 on February 13, 2022, 10:30:13 AM
Quote from: valporun on February 13, 2022, 09:57:55 AM

Not true.  Only Anderson, Taylor and Gordon are done eligibility wise.  We have one signed guy right now. Kithier and King have another year available. I would expect Emil to graduate and get on with his engineering career though he is only a junior eligibility wise.

I'm still saying 7-8 guys from the roster are gone, because we have the three without eligibility, will Kithier want to play another season if he's still having lingering back issues, does King want another year, and will Woodyard or Young want to stay when they aren't playing at the level they thought they would?

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 13, 2022, 06:56:00 AM
5 games left. I bet we don't win more than 1 of them.
We *should* beat Evansville twice. Unless we have a complete cerebral reversal, I don't see another win. Maybe Thursday at Arch Sadness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpo64

All the hype some posters were raving about pre-season was, in part, because of the transfers in from the Big 10.  But other than K King(who had been sitting out the previous year, these transfers were not big-time starters and stars on a regular basis for their previous schools.  Plus now playing 2 freshman point-guards who are not scoring threats doesn't help either.  And then there were all the injuries.  At the post game presser the other night the 3 players with Lottich were all transfers and had never played together before this year, and then have not played together in every game this year.  Valpo is like some other D-1 teams who had many transfers in and for whatever reason the coaching staffs were not able to put together a big-time winner.  Indiana comes to mind right off the bat.  Too much pre-season hype and a staff that was not able to get it all put together.  Wouldn't it be great to get a pleasant surprise next year altho that would really surprise me?  Other MVC schools have had their problems too...look at the recent poor seasons from IL ST., IN ST., Evansville and maybe lack of a real good year from MO ST.  Is it because of poor coaching at these schools?  Let's face it, for a team to be successful YOU NEED A GOOD POINT GUARD who can also be a scoring threat.  And recently we have not had one.

oklahomamick

Not having a good point guard for 6 years is on Lottich. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 14, 2022, 09:53:35 AM
Maybe he thought Siggy and Sackey were the answers.
The fact that he recruited a 5-9 kid from Norway instead of a kid from Indiana who probably would have been better is just insane. But not as exotic!

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 14, 2022, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 14, 2022, 09:53:35 AM
Maybe he thought Siggy and Sackey were the answers.
The fact that he recruited a 5-9 kid from Norway instead of a kid from Indiana who probably would have been better is just insane. But not as exotic!

I actually like Darius and Preston, but they are freshman and have flaws in their game, which is to be expected from freshman.

Also he finally found a senior PG in Trevor Anderson this year but he was plagued by injuries. When he was healthy, he played well at the 1.

I think Lottich not have a coherent system is his real flaw just as much as not having a true PG for all those years. Lottich tried a bunch of hybrid PGs over the last 6 years.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 13, 2022, 10:37:51 PMthe Team is probably not as talented as most of the fanbase had hoped, but also underperforming (even if missing TA).

The fatal flaw for this team was not the point guard. Trevor was great when healthy and the freshman were both fully adequate back up apprentices. Our major weakness was always the 2 and that was why Anderson was eventually slid to that position thus transferring our major weakness from the 2 to the point. Preseason I would have thought the 2 could have been filled by Barrett or Gordon or Edwards or somebody. I was wrong and force fitting square pegs into round holes doesn't work well at the MVC level.