• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Drake Wed 2/23 at 7pm on ESPN+

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 23, 2022, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

We haven't won a game against a top tier Valley team and have made no noise this year. Would be nice to get a win! Something positive to go into next Thursday with. Kithier gonna be out? Ruedinger? If Gordon shows up and Sheldon doesn't get our of control we've got a chance. Line is at +6.5 for Valpo. Go Po'

valpo95

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on February 23, 2022, 01:22:16 PM
We haven't won a game against a top tier Valley team and have made no noise this year. Would be nice to get a win! Something positive to go into next Thursday with. Kithier gonna be out? Ruedinger? If Gordon shows up and Sheldon doesn't get our of control we've got a chance. Line is at +6.5 for Valpo. Go Po'

Sure would be nice to get a win. Yet I think the 83-80 win on January 19 against Northern Iowa qualifies as a win against a top-tier Valley team

vu72

It is truly sad when I realize that when I now watch a Valpo basketball game I don't expect to win.  :(  I will always want Valpo to win but the inconsistency  is overwhelming.  With Drake presumably at full strength  and having watched them beat Loyola, I doubt a win unless...not sure what must happen for that to occur. ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

A win would certainly feel like an upset, and I have had to reset my expectations when I walk into the ARC.

When we played Drake back in the beginning of December, Trevor and Kithier were both available.  Kobe wasn't yet eligible, and Preston was expected to redshirt, and Emil wasn't available.  it seemed like part of our game plan was to contain Roman Penn, and we did so. We were within four points in the last minute of the game with the ball in our hands. 

That was a long time ago, but I hold out hope.
Beamin' Beacons

Valpo89

I'm sure there will be a lot of Drake fans in attendance, not that it will be a factor.
Crusaders upset Drake last year in the ARC, in the only game I attended due to Covid.
All of those same players return for Drake, while the Beacons have a new name along with three players: Krikke, Edwards and Gordon.
I would be surprised if Kithier plays. Reudinger is a maybe, I suppose.
This may be the most un-anticipated (is that a word) final home game ever. Is it even Senior Night?

tjjvalpo

I don't think we will see Ruedinger or Kithier until Arch Madness.

oklahomamick

Refs missed a couple fouls that would have went Valpo's way. 

I'm pretty sure Drake ran our Fashil out of bounds play where he dunks it. 
CRUSADERS!!!

tjjvalpo

Drake has shot 62% in this half. Will they cool off in last3:32?

mj

Couldn't get a stop the final 10 minutes. At least we kept scoring as well. Missing that FT that would have cut their lead to 1 was the dagger. Especially when they scored 3 on their next trip. So it goes....
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

Maybe learn to stop the pick-and-roll in future games?  Not a bad effort/game, but seeing that play run over and over, and our guys not adjusting, is a bit frustrating
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: tjjvalpo on February 23, 2022, 07:39:25 PMDrake has shot 62% in this half. Will they cool off in last3:32?

We defended reasonably well but Drake worked for good 2 point shots and they hit them. Kithier might have helped but probably not enough to change the outcome. Gordon and Edwards are looking a bit better as our 4'th and 5'th string point guards.  ::)

AB

In the second half, Drake executed like they've been there before, run screen roll to the basketball multiple times, help D was late. Wilkens and Penn made jumpers, shot with confidence. Killer instinct. We don't have that guy. Valpo again played well enough to be in the game, but didn't get enough stops and obviously have not figured out to close games for the umpteenth time this season. The crowd knew it as well. Kevion Taylor, hats off to him. Just a good ball player and seems like a good dude. He's going to make some money in Europe. Krikke needs to hit the weight room, conditioning and work on lateral quickness on D. When games get late, his jump shots come up short. Sheldon needs to work on his handles and taking it to hoop more, looking for layups, drawing fouls.

JD24

Quote from: AB on February 23, 2022, 08:17:39 PMKiller instinct. We don't have that guy. 
I think he's on the floor but without the instinct.

tiny707

Watched Wisconsin game after Valpo. They won by one point with best player on bench and a player serving a suspension. Won more close games than anyone in Big Ten. Gard will probably win coach of the year according to Robbie Hummel. Was not picked to finish that high. Also interesting that Drake coach has won Coach of the year twice with region players, is locked in for eight years and has been there less than Lottich. Finally, Matt Painer won 25 games in his first year at SIU. So success can happen early at the MVC with coaches. Purdue and WI also seem to develop their players, have a system and red shirt. Just some observations is all.

humbleopinion

Quote from: tiny707 on February 23, 2022, 11:24:31 PMPurdue and WI also seem to develop their players

How well did Wisconsin develop Trevor, Joe, and Kobe?
Beamin' Beacons

tiny707

Really? I think if they had Trevor, Joe, and Kobe they would not be 13th in the nation. How have we developed those three or any player under Lottich for that matter.

vuny98

Quote from: tiny707 on February 24, 2022, 07:39:20 AMReally? I think if they had Trevor, Joe, and Kobe they would not be 13th in the nation. How have we developed those three or any player under Lottich for that matter.
I believe that was his point...

tiny707

Well let's see: Trevor probably improved since his days at Green Bay but we will never know as he was injured at WI and now Valpo, Kobe choose to leave and Joe was injured and choose to leave and still not playing. Have to stay fours year at same program to see results. Eron has been at Valpo four years is he much improved? My comment came about WI and Purdue developing players and having a system came from Andy Katz at Big Ten Network. I differ to him.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on February 23, 2022, 11:24:31 PMWatched Wisconsin game after Valpo. They won by one point with best player on bench and a player serving a suspension. Won more close games than anyone in Big Ten. Gard will probably win coach of the year according to Robbie Hummel. Was not picked to finish that high. Also interesting that Drake coach has won Coach of the year twice with region players, is locked in for eight years and has been there less than Lottich. Finally, Matt Painer won 25 games in his first year at SIU. So success can happen early at the MVC with coaches. Purdue and WI also seem to develop their players, have a system and red shirt. Just some observations is all.
The programs at Wisconsin and Purdue are better than Valpo?

Shouldn't there be a "BREAKING!" in front of that?

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on February 24, 2022, 07:39:20 AMReally? I think if they had Trevor, Joe, and Kobe they would not be 13th in the nation. How have we developed those three or any player under Lottich for that matter.
Anderson's hurt as is his history. Hedstrom doesn't appear very useful at all and probably never will be or ever would have been. King is the only possibility and he has a history of not being sure how much he likes the game itself. I can't say that doesn't show up in his game.

So had they been at Wisconsin or anywhere else, it is unlikely that the players would be any much different than they are today.

Now can we please move one line down the checklist and start or continue blaming Lottich for bringing these guys in in the first place?

wh

Best atmosphere at the ARC last night by far. 2500 people in attendance, and it seemed like more. Not only was the band back, they had the largest contingency this year. Between the band and students, the student section looked pretty full. The guy from the Railcats was there after a long hiatus, running timeout competitions and adding to the fun. President Padilla again led the parade of flag bearers while the school song was being played during the final timeout. A cute group of little people played a game at halftime. Last, but not least, it was a very exciting game. Our guys battled from beginniing to end against the most experienced team in the league with their full complement of players. The only negative worth mentioning was the broken PA system. Not that that's anything new, but it was more noticeable than usual when we tried without success to understand what Matt and the seniors said after the game or the introductions of seniors and their families prior to the game. That aside, I don't know if someone decided they needed to get it together for senior night, or someone higher up intervened, but the improvement was noticeable, and much appreciated.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

I was so tired of the play by play guys reminding the audience that there were 3 Region players on the team.  They must have said it 8 times. 
CRUSADERS!!!