• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo MBB over the last 6 years

Started by cmack, February 27, 2022, 05:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2023, 08:11:57 PM
62 - not talking about the NEC. also, Loyola went to the FF and Sweet 16 so they go extra cash for that.

Fugetabout the NEC.  Still don't follow you. How did Valpo go to the the MVC for the money? What money? The Loyola F4  was AFTER  we joined and when we joined there were no guarantees of anything other than an auto bid with, perhaps, a better cede than 15 or 16.

AB

Again....We easily handled the MVC teams when we were in the Horizon. Most were blowouts. Murray had Payne (point guard Suns) We smoked them by 34 points. Drake was a bottom feeder for 10 years after their March Madness run in 08. Have the right coach/coaching staff in place wins/ recruites follow, fan interest is there. Facilities and money are a factor. Those follow with wins. Butler and Loyola have both those things and had lousy seasons. DePaul as well.  If Ragland turns around Aces, the fans will pack the Ford Center.

usc4valpo

62 - if the goal is to be better which I always hope is the case,  then the move to the MVC, an upgrade from the Horizon, makes sense. If you look at the whole picture, overall revenue (TV, exposure, success in sports) should increase. Valpo made the right move to move up, but there is also a financial commitment, likely an increase, to be successful. As they say, to make money you have to be smart and invest, or to be successful you have to provide some level of commitment and energy.

Right now, Valpo looks like leechers in the MVC, as expressed in responses on the MVC message board.

vu72

Quote from: David81 on March 19, 2023, 03:42:07 PMBut I do wonder, along with others, whether the move to the MVC is a contributing factor. I remember thinking when the move was made, hmmm...why not stay in a solid league where you've been consistently competitive? T

The problem with blaming the conference move for the decline is debunked by looking at the closing standing from this season.  Belmont and Murray State came from a far worse conference then the Horizon yet easily did better than our Beacons, who were loading with older, very experienced players versus say, a Murray team that added 10 new players and, a new coach and still did better than us.

As for staying in the Horizon League, the old saying says who you are is better represented by who your friends are or who you hang around with.  So does Valpo look better hanging with Cleveland State, Youngstown State, IUPUI and Purdue Fort Wayne or Bradley, Drake, UIC and Belmont?

It's not even close.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

David81

Quote from: vu72 on March 20, 2023, 08:31:27 AM
Quote from: David81 on March 19, 2023, 03:42:07 PMBut I do wonder, along with others, whether the move to the MVC is a contributing factor. I remember thinking when the move was made, hmmm...why not stay in a solid league where you've been consistently competitive? T

The problem with blaming the conference move for the decline is debunked by looking at the closing standing from this season.  Belmont and Murray State came from a far worse conference then the Horizon yet easily did better than our Beacons, who were loading with older, very experienced players versus say, a Murray team that added 10 new players and, a new coach and still did better than us.

As for staying in the Horizon League, the old saying says who you are is better represented by who your friends are or who you hang around with.  So does Valpo look better hanging with Cleveland State, Youngstown State, IUPUI and Purdue Fort Wayne or Bradley, Drake, UIC and Belmont?

It's not even close.

Well, I'd point out that I wasn't "blaming" the conference move for the program decline, but rather suggesting it as a contributing factor, while stating in my full comment that coaching appears to be the main source of the decline.

The success of Belmont and Murray State in year 1 of their move neither supports nor refutes my suggestion, but it does indicate — to the extent that one year's record is an indicator — that they were ready for the move. (Belmont has been making its move academically as well, as a very good, independent Christian private university in Nashville, so this might be part of an all-around push for greater visibility.)

I agree 100% that the Valley schools make for shinier athletic neighbors than the Horizon schools, and the league includes more academic peer schools as well. But if VU lacks the resources to compete in the MVC, then the better company doesn't matter. And right now the MBB program is teetering on the brink of becoming regular cannon fodder for the stronger teams.

However, at least in basketball, sometimes a combo of the right coaching and the addition of 1-2 special players can turn things around quickly, so generically speaking, there's still hope.

vu72

Perhaps you are right about one added player. Would we have done better if Clay had stayed or if Mr. Basketball Oklahoma had stayed? I would say so but, they didn't and that is on the coach, as is losing all those close games.
It has been said that we don't have the resources because we are a small school. Pray tell, how does the conference best two teams do it then?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 20, 2023, 06:01:05 AM
62 - if the goal is to be better which I always hope is the case,  then the move to the MVC, an upgrade from the Horizon, makes sense. If you look at the whole picture, overall revenue (TV, exposure, success in sports) should increase. Valpo made the right move to move up, but there is also a financial commitment, likely an increase, to be successful. As they say, to make money you have to be smart and invest, or to be successful you have to provide some level of commitment and energy.

Right now, Valpo looks like leechers in the MVC, as expressed in responses on the MVC message board.

Fully agree with the bolded statements, SC.  I can't speak for David, but in responding to his memory of what he thought at the time, I, too, had the same question going through my head. Basically, I wondered if VU really had the available funding and resolve to make a forceful (i.e., all-in commitment ) move to the MVC. And from the outset, that suspicion grew.  It is one that you continually cite as well and has been an ongoing theme. It comes down to an MVC taste on a HL budget.

And 72, neither David nor I blamed the conference move for the current state of affairs. It isn't the MVC's fault we are where we are. We questioned whether, after being accepted, Valpo would (or could) rise to the occasion. Clearly, we haven't.  The two newest additions, Belmont and Murray, despite coming from the OVC, already had much of what we lacked in terms of facilities and commitment.  Their competitiveness out of the blocks certainly showed that.  That should have been us back in 2017.

valpo64

I believe we have put alot of money into our overall athletic program since we joined the MVC  Misplaced where it was spent?  I am not sure although I know we had to make some improvements to get in the Valley.  There were major improvements in the technical aspect of television capabilities,  practice facilities,  A/C,  major improvements to the baseball field and some others.  The disappointing part is that  major improvements to the ARC have not yet come to fruition.  I believe that our men's b-ball budget is about in the middle of the pack in the MVC  Let's hope we are close to the money needed for the ARC project, whatever that might entail.  We must remember that it has taken years and in some cases decades, for some mid-major schools to get new or improved facilities.  We have just begun our journey in the upper echelon's of mid-major competion/conference.  Perhaps we will be surprised one of these days.  I sure hope so.  Look how long it ltook Butler to improve Hinkle.  That place, while an iconic structure, was a hole before they started to put money into it.  As an example, their men's restrooms not only had latrine urinals, but they were porcelain.  And how many years were a significant portion of their seating wooden bleachers with no backs?  In some cases I think some of us are our getting priorities mixed up.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on March 20, 2023, 09:49:42 AM
Perhaps you are right about one added player. Would we have done better if Clay had stayed or if Mr. Basketball Oklahoma had stayed? I would say so but, they didn't and that is on the coach, as is losing all those close games.
It has been said that we don't have the resources because we are a small school. Pray tell, how does the conference best two teams do it then?

Murray, with 10 xfers, a new coach and a winning conference record, underscores this. Belmont, finding ways to win in close games, that got them 4th place in the standings and a 21 win season, underscores this.

vu72

Well here is some news! Today's NW Indiana Times. Clearly Padilla is not shying away from his plan.

https://www.nwitimes.com/jose-padilla-and-marie-foster-bruns-a-beacon-for-a-region-realized/article_2b7f4749-f00a-57fb-bca4-338774c14cd0.html

For those without a subscription, this is part of what was written by Padilla and the newly appointed VP of Advancement:

This includes potential investments in newly constructed modern facilities for the College of Nursing and Health Professions (CoNHP) and an athletics arena. The CoNHP building will contribute to the education of Valpo students while meeting the state's healthcare needs and strengthening the region's economy. It will house an existing medical practice and therefore integrate the healthcare community into Valpo's campus. Because many CoNHP graduates are employed and serve within underserved areas of the state, it will help meet Indiana's dire shortage of nurses, physician assistants, and other healthcare professionals.

The second building project will be a state-of-the-art athletics complex with an arena to serve Valparaiso University and the Northwest Indiana. This arena will be a destination for conventions, concerts, and events, similar to the former Star Plaza Theatre. This will enhance the quality of life and be an economic driver in Valparaiso and the surrounding communities. It will ideally be a gathering place for the region.

NativeCheesehead

The word "potential" stands out like the old inflatable Crusader in that first sentence.

JD24

If the school can't buy out a coach who's clearly outlasted his welcome, I'm not sure how the fantasy of funding for upgrades elsewhere can be taken seriously.

If the school isn't considering the buyout then there are issues elsewhere.

vu72

I would think that if Padilla felt it was a very long shot, he wouldn't be broadcasting his pending failure via an news piece.  I like the fact that the mayor is on board, it might signal some sort of possible joint venture--who knows.

NativeCheesehead

Costas will be mayor after the next election, so we'll see if he's on board.

David81

Good points on the transfers and close games...that's where coaching comes in, too.

For me, the signature event was JFL's departure. It not only meant losing an impact player of conference MVP caliber, but also signaled to others that VU had become a starter school for guys who had proven themselves and now had more options. After breathlessly proclaiming that he'd be back after the great 2020 MVC tourney run, I think his transfer was a huge letdown. But right around then, folks suddenly had something else much bigger to contend with our lives, so the emotional impact was muted.

Good question about Drake and Bradley. They are peer institutions. I know that Drake has a larger enrollment overall, and its law school managed to avoid the bloodletting in legal education that VU Law sadly could not avoid. So they're probably doing better overall. Plus, of course, Drake has its own magical Homer+Bryce type of combo, at least for now! I'm less familiar with Bradley, but presuming it's in better financial shape than Valpo at this moment.

valpopal

Just to clarify for those without subscriptions, the NWI Times statement by Padilla about potential future projects is not a news story but an editorial, part of the administration's current PR campaign. I applaud the words, and I think the content sounds great.

Nevertheless, just like the president's original statement on the morning of Feb. 8 about the paintings sale, which was a PR release to get ahead of the news report in the Tribune published that day, it is possible this commentary by Padilla also might be timed to get ahead of another property-related announcement that has been rumored for weeks among faculty, in the local Valparaiso community, and in conversations with journalists. I anticipate updates, and look forward with curiosity to hearing more.

VULB#62

Quote from: David81 on March 20, 2023, 11:43:29 AM

Good points on the transfers and close games...that's where coaching comes in, too.

For me, the signature event was JFL's departure. It not only meant losing an impact player of conference MVP caliber, but also signaled to others that VU had become a starter school for guys who had proven themselves and now had more options. After breathlessly proclaiming that he'd be back after the great 2020 MVC tourney run, I think his transfer was a huge letdown. But right around then, folks suddenly had something else much bigger to contend with our lives, so the emotional impact was muted.

Good question about Drake and Bradley. They are peer institutions. I know that Drake has a larger enrollment overall, and its law school managed to avoid the bloodletting in legal education that VU Law sadly could not avoid. So they're probably doing better overall. Plus, of course, Drake has its own magical Homer+Bryce type of combo, at least for now! I'm less familiar with Bradley, but presuming it's in better financial shape than Valpo at this moment.

From Wiki (so these are more approximations than 100% fact)
BRADLEY (Valpo)

UGs: 4,636   (2,500) Gs: 1,293  (400)
ENDOW: $325 million ($364.5million)
ACCEPT RATE: 76% (93%)
TUIT/FEES: $37,800 ($44,796)

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2023, 12:55:03 PM

BRADLEY (Valpo)

ENDOW: $325 million ($255 million)

This could be a more current total endowment for Valpo, at least let's hope so:

"The university's endowment stands at $364.5 million."

If so, it would blow Bradley's endowment dollars per student ratio away.

Valparaiso University president addresses new strategic plan, overcoming enrollment and other challenges
Tuesday, October 4, 2022 11:24 AM

https://indianaeconomicdigest.net/Content/Default/Major-Indiana-News/Article/Valparaiso-University-president-addresses-new-strategic-plan-overcoming-enrollment-and-other-challenges/-3/5308/112454

VULB#62

Thanks. I fixed my initial number. The link to the article was welcome information as well. I was initially under the perception that a new medical sciences building would be on campus, but apparently it'll be in Chicago.  That's thinking a bit out of the box and I'm ok with that.

But thinking about thinking outside the box, I remember a number of athletes (basketball and football, I think) who were studying in that field and am wondering if we'd lose a health sciences oriented student athlete because of the distance. And what about room & board?  But that's not even in the drawing board stage yet, so we can concentrate on more real plans.

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 20, 2023, 06:01:05 AM

Even if it's true, I take personal offense to fans from other MVC programs calling Valpo leachers. If I so chose, I could write an essay about the lack of production from several "old guard" MVC programs since we joined the party 6 years ago. People need to worry about themselves.

Valpo1993

How about this.   Southern Indiana University, the largest high school in indiana, joined division I this year in the OVC.   They finished .500 and played in the CBI.   GO VU Leachers!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2023, 12:55:03 PM

BRADLEY (Valpo)

ENDOW: $325 million ($364.5million)

I'm looking at the graduate enrollment at Bradley. It looks they offer a slew of vocationally-oriented masters degree programs, including a good number of online offerings. That's likely to be a lot of folks paying sticker price or close to it, with their own income, savings, loans, and maybe employer subsidies. Revenue generators.

historyman

Quote from: David81 on March 20, 2023, 11:11:06 PMI'm looking at the graduate enrollment at Bradley. It looks they offer a slew of vocationally-oriented masters degree programs, including a good number of online offerings. That's likely to be a lot of folks paying sticker price or close to it, with their own income, savings, loans, and maybe employer subsidies. Revenue generators.

The Peoria area has 10 Caterpillar Inc. plants. They have always had a great relationship with Bradley for educating their management staff. I remember talking to a Caterpillar manager and he told me about all the classes and degrees that he had taken and earned through Bradley and it was simply amazing to me.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

may know

New MBB budgets are out.

vu72

The video you posted must be old as it shows us third from the bottom but only a negligible difference between us and the middle of the pack.  Illinois State is proving that spending money doesn't automatically translate into wins.