• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2023

Started by IndyValpo, April 29, 2022, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

That or Valpo didn't really sub receivers like the Cecchini days Davis / Ross / Contreras probably played 90% of the snaps.

2/3 appear to be coming back as of this second. Appel has a bright bright future make no mistake. Between Dawson/Washington talent was at RB.

Portal is a two way street and Valpo has brought in more talent than  lost last 3 years. Hard to get excited and watch player growth for guys to leave , which it will always be.

In terms of the commitment comment, I think it is just a generational deal, kids nowadays like offers and the likes that come with them then the work. If Grguric / Kaplan got school paid for that's great for them. If not , both have transferred into a lesser role (based off history) into a worse degree.

Which comes down to decision making, is it worth sacrificing your degree to be on a team in a bigger stadium with 4-8k more people at the game?

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on December 09, 2022, 11:01:16 AMWell maybe these transfer portal kids are discovering the difference between a rushing game program and a passing game program.  That would sorta explain Valpo losing so many WR, just guessing here though.
Why would a team which ranked higher in passing yards, attempts and all that fun stuff than it did in rushing yards, attempts and all that fun stuff be losing WRs because someone thinks the program is not a passing offense?

valpofb16

OL Gabe Watkins-Daigle RSFR and 3 year Starter WR Braden Contreras JR have entered the portal.

Valpo is approaching 1/4 of their roster in the portal from last season. Have to imagine this is now pointing to a larger problem with the Program/University. My belief is it is the latter.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 09, 2022, 06:39:38 PMOL Gabe Watkins-Daigle RSFR and 3 year Starter WR Braden Contreras JR have entered the portal. Valpo is approaching 1/4 of their roster in the portal from last season. Have to imagine this is now pointing to a larger problem with the Program/University. My belief is it is the latter.
Wagner has a boatload in there as well. Maybe it's a Lutheran thing.  :)

David81

Given how many college players' transfer announcements and memes claim prayerful inspiration for their decisions, I'm assuming that God is especially busy looking over rosters and depth charts during each December and April. 🤣🤣🤣

soapyjeans

Well, considering all colleges are going thru the pros/cons of dealing with transfer portal players coming or going suggests this is just the way it is.  It may be a few years before that transfer portal calms down, lol. 

valpotx

It's just this next generation and is what it is.  As someone above stated, they like the excitement of being wanted, but I can't fault them if Valpo's success has given them a platform to play at a higher level.  We're getting kids at an FCS non-scholarship level that wanted scholarships out of HS.  If they can get it, good for them.  With my job, I see it all of the time.  Someone joins the company, and if they stay for more than 1 year, it is a win, whereas you used to see people want to grow full careers inside a company.  Now, it is about who can give them the next big paycheck, regardless of what the company does or if their business model is sustainable. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo17

Hopefully Fox stays a couple more years-honestly not sure who would hire him-even though he's done great for us -the standards were pretty low following up the former head coaches we had

usc4valpo

Tx - great post. For some millennial and Gen Z employees, I see their need to get instant gratification. One year of experience for them can be viewed as significant. However I will say this - companies, particular those owned by shareholders, lack loyalty and empathy to employees, and mutual company- employee long term commitment is lacking. Employees need to have a level of patience, but you also have to make decisions that are right for you. The same applies to these players, and at the Valpo-Pioneer non scholarship level, I hope their decisions are based more on the school and it's academics than on football pursuits where a professional football career won't exist.

valpofb16

OL Andrew Covert RSSO has entered the portal

19th guy in the portal. 24 walked on senior night.

That's potentially 43 spots to fill. (Granted some of each will most likely come back)

JD24

This may not be pertinent to Valpo but some HS coaches have said that college recruiters are stopping by to say hi and let it be known that their schools are going transfer only.

soapyjeans

Sadly that makes sense, consider most in the transfer portal were already recruited by scouts/schools so there's a distinct advantage to reviewing a player whose already made the cut somewhere.  The transfer portal is definitely hurting the HS kids though.  Add to that how many college seniors are opting for a 5th year!  That pretty much leaves HS talent in the dust, all due to the 2021 pandemic.

valpofb16

Two new commits

6'2 210 Gabriel Batres Edge Fairfield California - 2* on 247 , several NAIA / D2 Offers

5'10 170 Brian Thomas RB Orlando Florida - Other offers included PFL Stetson / Presbyterian

RB: Beidl / Thomas
OT: Rosen
OL: Thorgesen
DE: Batres

valpofb16

New commit:

Ethan Stierheim OL 6'4 305 Williamsville NY , chooses Valpo over PWO at Stony Brook

OL: Rosen ,Thorgesen , Stierheim

valpofb16

New Commit:

DT Antony Morris 6'1 275 Cincinnati OH, chooses Valpo over Morehead State

OL: Rosen ,Thorgesen , Stierheim
DT: Morris

soapyjeans

How many RB is Valpo recruiting, lol

soapyjeans

Oops, my bad, I was just counting RB and not actually noticing the name.

valpofb16

#2 Chuck Maxwell will enter the transfer portal. Meaning Solomon Davis will be the only receiver to return next season having played significantly.

soapyjeans

Stats tell the tale.  Viewing the team stats may shed some light on why so many WR are in the portal.

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on December 18, 2022, 07:21:46 PMStats tell the tale.  Viewing the team stats may shed some light on why so many WR are in the portal.
What stats would those be?

soapyjeans

Uh, the team stats for the season.  Aren't stats used to evaluate performance, play time, production.  At the end of the day what counts is how the coaching staff reads those stats because they work directly with the players.  They definitely know more than we do.   :twocents:

David81

On the WR transfers, is it because Valpo under Coach Fox has shown a preference for the ground game with Washington and Dawson joining the team back-to-back?

In any event, with Appel returning and Dawson graduating, one would think that VU could build on the promise of Appel's first year on the field and feature a more ambitious air game next fall.

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on December 19, 2022, 11:17:56 AMUh, the team stats for the season.  Aren't stats used to evaluate performance, play time, production.  At the end of the day what counts is how the coaching staff reads those stats because they work directly with the players.  They definitely know more than we do.   :twocents:
That's a non answer. What stats are you referring to since you are posting that they tell the tale?

JD24

Quote from: David81 on December 19, 2022, 01:55:21 PMOn the WR transfers, is it because Valpo under Coach Fox has shown a preference for the ground game with Washington and Dawson joining the team back-to-back? In any event, with Appel returning and Dawson graduating, one would think that VU could build on the promise of Appel's first year on the field and feature a more ambitious air game next fall.
I pointed out previously that the Valpo offense was not pass deficient in any fashion anyway.

valpofb16

I could be wrong but Valpo alum Fred Gladney recruited most of the room. Fred was shown the door with the old offensive staff. That's theory A.

Theory B is Appel has the job but not the locker room.

Theory C is coach Smith is loved / hated and is staying / leaving