• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-2023 Schedule

Started by VALPO LI, May 15, 2022, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo1993

Trinity Trolls.... I could get behind that name and mascot.   They are even christian with the name trolls.  Love to see Christians not afraid of their school name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtm

University of the Incarnate Word will be coming to Valpo on November 19.

https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

VALPO LI

UIW is a private catholic university in San Antonio Texas that plays in the Southland Conference.  The Cardinals finished last season with a 5-24 record.  I do not think there is any history between Valpo and UIW except that at one point they both shared the same mascot.
November 19th is a Saturday!
Shine on Vu

AlaskaCrusader19

Incarnate Word is terrible. That HAS to be a win.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 22, 2022, 09:48:48 AM
UIW is a private catholic university in San Antonio Texas that plays in the Southland Conference.  The Cardinals finished last season with a 5-24 record.  I do not think there is any history between Valpo and UIW except that at one point they both shared the same mascot.
November 19th is a Saturday!
So they used the faceless Crusader guy. They are the Cardinals, did they change?
Carson Cunningham is their head coach, Chris Artis is an assistant plus they have a couple of Indiana kids.

Update they did drop the Crusaders in 2004. I couldn't find an image of their Crusader.

VUGrad1314

Trying to stay positive about things but man the last two game announcements have been worse than blah... A bad non-D1 team that we play EVERY YEAR for some reason and a terrible D1 team that we'd better beat... I wish we could get better schedules and actually compete for at large bids but those days are probably over...

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 22, 2022, 06:42:15 PM
Trying to stay positive about things but man the last two game announcements have been worse than blah... A bad non-D1 team that we play EVERY YEAR for some reason and a terrible D1 team that we'd better beat... I wish we could get better schedules and actually compete for at large bids but those days are probably over...

Waiting for the full schedule, but I am beginning to have the same feeling.

VALPO LI

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 22, 2022, 09:24:57 PM

Valpo unfortunately is not an at large team right now and therefore does not require an at large schedule.  Northern Iowa on the other hand might be one and their schedule reflects it with games at Virginia, Richmond and home games against South Florida, Toledo, and St Bonaventure.
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 22, 2022, 10:29:10 PM

Valpo unfortunately is not an at large team right now and therefore does not require an at large schedule.  Northern Iowa on the other hand might be one and their schedule reflects it with games at Virginia, Richmond and home games against South Florida, Toledo, and St Bonaventure.

I hate to say it, but...Matt may be scheduling to save his job.  This is most likely a go/no go for his continued employment.  If I were in those shoes i would want all the wins i could get.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on August 23, 2022, 07:57:51 AM
Quote from: VALPO LI on August 22, 2022, 10:29:10 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 22, 2022, 06:42:15 PMTrying to stay positive about things but man the last two game announcements have been worse than blah... A bad non-D1 team that we play EVERY YEAR for some reason and a terrible D1 team that we'd better beat... I wish we could get better schedules and actually compete for at large bids but those days are probably over...
I hate to say it, but...Matt may be scheduling to save his job.  This is most likely a go/no go for his continued employment.  If I were in those shoes i would want all the wins i could get.
It will all be exposed, one way or another, once the conference season comes around anyway. With the make up of our team, I don't mind an easier non-con but do hope we have a few tests/challenges in there.

VUGrad1314

I sincerely hope our new AD is smart enough not to be swayed by beating up on bad competition in the non con. if Matt does something in conference play this year then that's a completely different discussion but nothing should happen if our conference results aren't up to par even if the overall record looks nice on paper.

VALPO LI

Valpo to host Western Michigan at the ARC November 13th.
That leaves 1 more unknown game on the schedule along with who the Beacons play at the Savannah Invitational.

https://twitter.com/WMUMBB/status/1562457207895375874
Shine on Vu

vu72

Obvoiusly Western Michigan isn't afraid to play a very tough OOC schedule.  We really know very little about our away games schedule.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Interesting that a team would announce its schedule with three "TBAs".

VALPO LI

Quote from: vu72 on August 24, 2022, 12:30:24 PM
Obvoiusly Western Michigan isn't afraid to play a very tough OOC schedule.  We really know very little about our away games schedule.

What we do know is that Valpo opens the season on the road @ Toledo November 7th and heads out to play Ole Miss December 10th.

https://utrockets.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

https://olemisssports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

What we do know is that Valpo will host 3 home games at the ARC.

Western Michigan.
Incarnate Word.
Trinity Christian.

https://wmubroncos.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

https://athletics.trnty.edu/sports/mbkb/2022-23/schedule

What we are hearing but not confirmed is that Valpo should host Elon University and Stone Hill College at the ARC.

*Valparaiso University has not officially announced any scheduling news yet.

Shine on Vu

valpopal

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 24, 2022, 03:08:28 PM
What we are hearing but not confirmed is that Valpo should host Elon University and Stone Hill College at the ARC.
Elon on December 18 and Stonehill on December 21

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpopal on August 24, 2022, 03:29:20 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on August 24, 2022, 03:08:28 PM
Elon on December 18 and Stonehill on December 21

I didn't see it on their website just twitter.

https://twitter.com/StonehillBball/status/1560334368945717249

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1553128903849365506
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

It looks like the "highlights" of the home non-conference schedule are two teams (Elon and Western Michigan) that were 12 games or more below .500 last season. This will not generate much enthusiasm with the student body, alumni, and community. I'm realistic, but the program needs to do better than this. You could argue that Stone Hill - a first year program - has done a better job at scheduling home games than Valpo.

usc4valpo

Valpo really has a ham and eager non conference schedule.  With the new AD, if Valpo doesn't get out of this swamp of mediocrity this year, you'll see needed changes. This program is in a funk.

vuny98

MVC moving to a 20 game conference schedule provides 2 more solid games at least. So with that, having a few easy games on the schedule is not the worst thing in the world. But would still like to see the final spot be something semi challenging, that would fall into the "Good" category for my very scientific rating of the schedule.

OOC:
Great: Ole Miss
Good: Toledo, Western Mich, Savannah Invitational
Poor: Stonehill, Elon, Incarnate Word
Awful: Trinity

oklahomamick

Stonehill?  D1? Had to google them.  Everyone d1 now.  So many teams have made the jump in the last 5 years
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

Quote from: oklahomamick on August 25, 2022, 12:33:11 PM
Stonehill?  D1? Had to google them.  Everyone d1 now.  So many teams have made the jump in the last 5 years

Five new D1 teams this year: Stonehill, Lindenwood, Texas A&M-Commerce, Southern Indiana, Queens (NC).

usc4valpo

Ole Miss may be SEC but are certainly not great.

Your metric on great and good is rather generous.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 25, 2022, 05:41:52 PM
Ole Miss may be SEC but are certainly not great.

You metric on great and good is rather generous.

Yes, but we still have the over/under on how many times "The Shot" is mentioned, correct?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

elephtheria47

Hypothetical: if Butler were to offer a one time buy game at Hinkle, would/should Valpo accept?