• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood to Michigan State. Official

Started by blackpantheruwm, March 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Word I hear is that Brandon will declare for the NBA draft but without an agent. I believe this means he will have to make a decision about coming back next fall by the end of the spring semester.

vu72

Players have until some time in April to put their names into the pool.  After that period ends they and their coaches can get opinion from the GMs about their pro potentila and what they need to work on.  They then can continue on in the procedure to pre darft camps etc but still can withdraw at any time.

This makes all the sense in the world for Brandon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/article_367beda8-2716-56ef-8244-aaeed006eebe.html

Looks like he will test the waters.  My opinion is here http://www.sectionee.blogspot.com[/url] but I believe he will withdraw his name by the deadline.

cmack

As I stated earlier, Brandon Wood is a very good player at a mid-major program.  I can't wait to see which NBA team is or ever will be seeking an undersized shooting guard.  I have no doubt that he will pull his name from the hat at the deadline.  He simply neither has the body nor the talent to make the NBA. 

wh

Brandon has represented VU basketball with great distinction for the past 2 seasons.  As a fan, obviously I want to see him return, but whatever the outcome I wish him the best as he pursues his dream.

lowposter

The comparison to E'Twaun was spot on.  Recall last year both E'Twaun and Johnson tested the waters and came back.  There are good reasons to do this.  You can make a couple of trips, expenses paid and workout with pros, with good honest feedback.

He should be able to find where he stands in the world of NBA prospects. 

On the other hand....congradulations to BW for completing his requirements for graduation.  Perhaps there just isnt anything left academically for him here.  Maybe it is time to move on.

Best of luck to him and hopefully he will be exactly where HE needs to be in late August. 

agibson

Quote from: lowposter on March 30, 2011, 08:48:04 PM
You can make a couple of trips, expenses paid and workout with pros, with good honest feedback.

Expenses _not_ paid, according to the NWI Times article.  Presumably it would violate his amateur status.

agibson

I don't think we discussed the Post Tribune article?

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/4580225-556/vus-wood-to-test-nba-waters.html

A couple of quotes from Brandon, including the one in this section
Wood discussed his intentions with VU coach Homer Drew before the last season even started, and said he had the full support of the coaching staff and his teammates.

He also said he'd likely return for his senior season should he pull out of the draft.

"At this point I'm not thinking overseas at all," he said. "That would be a last resort."

sectionee

Looks like it is basically the same article.  Glad to see he isn't seriously considering the move overseas and I really liked the quote about coming back for his senior season if he withdraws (which I think most of us suspect he will).  I don't want to think about where this team would be next fall without Brandon's offensive talents.

DMvalpo18

i hope this isn't true. i don't see how wood would produce for purdue like he does for us.

rlh

Not only would I be shocked if this is true, but I don't think he would help Purdue that much with all that they have coming back at the guard position....I understand the grad school rule, and others have done exactly this, but I think it would be a mistake.  Obviously, the only reason he would consider it is to enhance his chances of getting drafted by the NBA, but I think there are better ways for him to do that if he's deemed good enough....and no matter where you play, if you have the talent, the NBA will find you.

DMvalpo18

i tend to believe wood will stay at valpo if he can't get drafted.

vuweathernerd

that'll depend on what he wants to pursue for grad school. anybody heard anything?

vu72

I think the only way he leaves (if he isn't drafted) is to pursue being part of a team that can make a deep run in the NCAAs.  He has the talent to play for anyone.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: rlh on April 17, 2011, 03:38:06 PMObviously, the only reason he would consider it is to enhance his chances of getting drafted by the NBA.

I can think of one other reason that's fairly obvious.

Quote from: vu72 on April 17, 2011, 04:25:24 PM
I think the only way he leaves (if he isn't drafted) is to pursue being part of a team that can make a deep run in the NCAAs. 

Thanks, vu72.

wh

Quote from: rlh on April 17, 2011, 03:38:06 PM
Obviously, the only reason he would consider it is to enhance his chances of getting drafted by the NBA, but I think there are better ways for him to do that if he's deemed good enough....and no matter where you play, if you have the talent, the NBA will find you.
I completely agree.  Transferring to any top notch D-1 Major with only 1 year of eligibility remaining would be an incredible roll of the dice.  There's a lot more involved than just waltzing in, putting on a uniform and asking for the ball.  For openers, he would have to learn a brand new system, gel with the coaching staff, and earn a starting position.  If he didn't make an immediate positive impact, had trouble finding his shot early, or even sprained his ankle and wasn't at full strength early, he could quickly find himself relegated to the bench as a role player.  No one would be spending much time with him trying to develop his game, because everyone knows he's one-and-done.  One year stints work fine for the Derrick Rose's of the world, but it's a totally unnecessary risk for someone in Brandon's situation.  This is nothing more than message board fodder.  It will never happen. 

crusaderboy

I am not saying it would or will happen but I could certainly see why this could be a consideration.
Let's start with the obvious. By playing in the Big Ten, Brandon would have the opportunity to test himself, day in and day out at practice, and night in and night out on gamedays, against some of the top competition in the nation. That is a very attractive proposition for someone with Brandon's aspirations. The best way to get significantly better and enhance your pro pospects is by being around people who can push you to higher limits and force you to elevate your game.
Then you talk about the advantages of playing at Purdue vs. Valpo with superior facilities, more resources invested in player development and more exposure all at the top of the list.
That exposure will help Brandon when it comes time to become a professional. I believe that a player who may be forced to go to Europe will have greater appeal to a foreign club with "Purdue basketball" on his resume.

Of course there are potential downsides and some of those have already been highlighted. I find it highly unlikely, if he were to play at Purdue for one year, that he would have the ball in his hands as much as he does now at Valpo, and he will likely also have much less offensive freedom. But it may come down to what he values more and how he and his family weigh some of those factors.
I am just saying I could see why someone would consider such a move.

sectionee

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 18, 2011, 09:43:28 AM
if he did leave for another school i'd lose all respect for him.

Why?  Shouldn't we all do what we have to in order to better ourselves and our opportunities?  Now, hopefully he will come to the conclusion that staying put will better serve his interests.  I will be disappointed if he leaves, but in the end he has to do what he thinks is best.

sectionee

I respectfully disagree.  I don't think it is about Valpo being good enough, it is about where can he be seen and have his skills recognized by more professional scouts. Ultimately I think he will stay at VU, if the NBA falls through this year, if his intentions are to showcase his offensive abilities.  I'm not sure where else he could go where he will be the center of the offense each and every night.

Also, if he were to leave, I don't think the coaches will have to run out and get another shooting guard.  Our roster is full of guards right now.

sectionee

I have a hard time believing there were many NBA scouts in the half filled ARC when Iona was in town, or UIC, or Loyola, or Green Bay...and the list goes on.

Like I said, this is just my opinion which you won't change, and you have your opinion which I won't change.  Aren't message boards great?!

sectionee

Geesh, who is applauding?  I won't be excited if he leaves, I said I can understand his reasoning and accept it.  If he leaves, let him go, wish him luck, move on and win games without him.

vu72

So if he does go, and believe me I hope he doesn't--unless he goes to the NBA, but if he does, it it the end of the world??  Think about our guard situation.  Buggs and Kurth at the point, backed up by Harris.  With Brandon gone, Jay would probably move to the 2 and being playing there with Boggs (from Va Tech). Throw in Kenney and Ryan and I think we will be OK.  The new kid (6'7") is suppose to be a guard/forward as well.

blackpantheruwm

This is what I know, vu72.

Currently, I've got VU projected in the 3/4 spots (I keep switching them with us).  With the uncertainty surrounding Wood, I still have him coming back to Valpo.  Should he leave, I just don't think I could justify VU above 5th.

sectionee

Read that this morning as well.  I guess we can hope that he comes to the conclusion that scoring 25 ppg at Valpo will be better for him then scoring 8ppg at a big 10 school.

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on April 19, 2011, 08:52:49 AM
Read that this morning as well.  I guess we can hope that he comes to the conclusion that scoring 25 ppg at Valpo will be better for him then scoring 8ppg at a big 10 school.

Seeing that Brandon scored 24 against Michigan State, in like his second game in a Valpo uniform, I think Coach Izzo has a pretty good idea what he could bring in.