• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ibra Bayu

Started by vu84v2, August 16, 2022, 09:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Valpo adds another long Dutch player.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21418/ibra-bayu-to-join-valpo-mens-basketball-program/

From the article, Ibra looks like a project with potential. Long with lots of athletic ability, but missed his junior year because of health issues and most of his senior year because of ankle injuries.

valpotx

Vashil was a long project, as well, and that worked out pretty well
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

Crap shoot. Boom or bust with this dude. You could always see Vashil's potential, with his length. Bryce rolled the dice with Nickerson's hip surgery, so we will see.

valpotx

I distinctly remember this board complaining about Vashli getting PT over his first few seasons, and being a waste of a scholarship.  There were a few that thought it was worth what he could be, and I will take that same approach here
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on August 20, 2022, 02:30:22 PM
I distinctly remember this board complaining about Vashli getting PT over his first few seasons, and being a waste of a scholarship.  There were a few that thought it was worth what he could be, and I will take that same approach here

I honestly think a lot of those posters are gone from this board now. I will admit, at the time, I wasn't exactly thrilled by all the playing time that such a raw talent like Vashil was getting. But then I don't think we had anyone better.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpower

Quote from: historyman on August 21, 2022, 08:04:38 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 20, 2022, 02:30:22 PM

I honestly think a lot of those posters are gone from this board now. I will admit, at the time, I wasn't exactly thrilled by all the playing time that such a raw talent like Vashil was getting. But then I don't think we had anyone better.

He was raw offensively and defensively, so it was frustrating for many, including me.  I knew he would get better defensively, but didn't feel confident he'd be an offensive force.  Without that balance, I figured he'd always foul out well before his opponent. Maybe I'm underestimating his offensive contribution, but he became  so good defensively that it didn't matter to me.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpower on August 22, 2022, 03:29:44 PM
Quote from: historyman on August 21, 2022, 08:04:38 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 20, 2022, 02:30:22 PMI distinctly remember this board complaining about Vashli getting PT over his first few seasons, and being a waste of a scholarship.  There were a few that thought it was worth what he could be, and I will take that same approach here
He was raw offensively and defensively, so it was frustrating for many, including me.  I knew he would get better defensively, but didn't feel confident he'd be an offensive force.  Without that balance, I figured he'd always foul out well before his opponent. Maybe I'm underestimating his offensive contribution, but he became  so good defensively that it didn't matter to me.

He really made strides offensively his last year or two and developed a semi competent post game but he was so elite defensively it really didn't matter if he could score or not. It was a plus if he could pour in a few buckets (which he could by his last year) but he didn't need to do anything on the offensive end at all to impact the game by the end of his time here. I still remember how terrified St Mary's was to challenge him in the paint during the NIT Quarterfinals. He WAS our team defense that year. He made it the force that it was. If this guy ends up anywhere near Vashil's level we got a good one.

vu72

I really think you will see a lot of Vashil in Jerome, with much more scoring ability. Ibra is another defensive player.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

He may also be less of a project than some think. Between covid, health and being injured, he has not played much it seems recently. He may have all the tools just needs to get back into the game to put it all back together. Sounds like he was more highly touted before all the issues.

Much like I hope that Kobe King has a standout year after having a year back in the game last year, maybe this year can Ibra's chance to get back into the game and the following year is where we really see it all come together.

That's my optimistic view for the day.