• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 7 @Morehead State

Started by 78crusader, October 19, 2022, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Next 3 games: @Morehead State, @Dayton, St. Thomas.

I think the St. Thomas game is the key game of the season. If we beat Morehead and Dayton, then we are still in the hunt for a PFL title when we host St. Thomas. If we split the next two games, then a 7-4 season and top 4 finish in the PFL is possible with a win over St. Thomas - and a 7-4 record would be a huge accomplishment given a very tough schedule. Lose the next two, and a win over St. Thomas keeps alive the possibility of a winning season at 6-5. Paul

JD24

Losing the next two and beating St. Thomas would be one weird way of getting to 6-5.

valpofb16

Valpo does well, Valpo shoots itself in the foot , repeat 21-21

valpofb16

Same deal 28-28, Appel might have reinjured shoulder trying to make tackle on clear pick six.

valpofb16

Since it was 7-7

Score - then blocked punt for touchdown

Score- give up a 70 yard run on IZ

Score - Pick 6 touchdown

Can't make this stuff up

vu72

Great gutsy win!  It appeared to me the Appel may had had his bell rung at the goal line play.  I saw him running around after the game so perhaps a concussion protical?  What happened to Kaplan??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

No idea on Kaplan. Gutsy is the exact word I'd use.

First Jackson came in as 3/4th string QB. Did not turn ball over in 9 throws.

Dawson. 200+ yards on the ground. Absolutely put the offense on his back.

Days, Grguric made huge plays as role guys.

Fox shatters another program ceiling in winning at Morehead. .500 or +.500 still in the cards.

JD24

I'm not running a fake punt in that spot although maybe they were worried about a block since it happened earlier. What is up with the STs the last few weeks although they got Bartholomew back on track.

I was waiting for Austin Gahafer to come trotting in on the last drive and pull out another one for MSU but this Cramer kid did do pretty well.

valpofb16

David81

Jeffrey Jackson was a scout team player of the week several weeks ago. Now he comes off the bench as QB3 and plays steadily. When is the last time Valpo could reach three deep with that position and still have a chance of winning? It's a credit to his readiness and to the depth on this team.

The Bartholomew bounce back has to be seen as one of the most encouraging developments for the rest of the season. And nailing a long FG made a difference.

VU continues to give up points, albeit sometimes due to mistakes on offense and specials. Does this defense have the potential to tighten up?

Saw in the game notes that Appel's dad played at Morehead State from 1993-97. Holy crud, does that make me feel old.  :lol:

valpofb16

In terms of defense tightening up. Valpo lost its 4 LB from last season (Peifer/Twigg/Psota grad , Annis injury)

They are relatively young there with Birmingham and Doerer playing. Hines is a huge one year help. DL is really young too.

2 / 5 DBs are sophomores in Franco and Graves. Hines / Sherman / Horton are only ones set to graduate.

Realistically Valpo returning 8/11 on defense next year with Annis returning from injury. Future is bright.

valpotx

Quote from: David81 on October 22, 2022, 05:12:24 PM
Jeffrey Jackson was a scout team player of the week several weeks ago. Now he comes off the bench as QB3 and plays steadily. When is the last time Valpo could reach three deep with that position and still have a chance of winning? It's a credit to his readiness and to the depth on this team.

The Bartholomew bounce back has to be seen as one of the most encouraging developments for the rest of the season. And nailing a long FG made a difference.

VU continues to give up points, albeit sometimes due to mistakes on offense and specials. Does this defense have the potential to tighten up?

Saw in the game notes that Appel's dad played at Morehead State from 1993-97. Holy crud, does that make me feel old.  :lol:

I'll take it even further.  How many programs can boast 4 QBs that have experienced decent playing time at this level and at Valpo?  Even if Appel & Kaplan can't go next week, we have Jackson and Berry.  Most teams would kill to have guys in reserve, that just need to do enough to not lose a game, but can legitimately do a bit more. 

Great to see a win at Morehead State and break that streak of losses.  One of my favorite Valpo Football memories while on campus, is beating them at home in the PFL Championship game, which was one of the few Valpo Football games to be broadcast back then:

https://www.pioneer-football.org/news/archives/2003/143/valparaiso-wins-pfl-championship/ 
"Don't mess with Texas"

soapyjeans

Well, whatever the game plan was for Morehead, it certainly won't work for Dayton.  Need to tighten up defense and our QB's to take advantage of his players when wide open.