• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 10 @ Marist

Started by valpofb16, November 07, 2022, 06:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Massey is projecting Valpo to win in a very pivotal game for the program. Marist has taken care of business against Morehead and Presbyterian last two weeks.

Young QB 9-9 TD-INT ratio

I am hoping for a Valpo win and 5-5 with a chance for the 3rd winning season in 6 years.

Valpo 24 Marist 21

Side Bar: Marist finishes season with Patriot bottom feeder Bucknell and Coach Dave Cecchini.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 07, 2022, 06:42:19 PM
Massey is projecting Valpo to win in a very pivotal game for the program. Marist has taken care of business against Morehead and Presbyterian last two weeks.

Young QB 9-9 TD-INT ratio

I am hoping for a Valpo win and 5-5 with a chance for the 3rd winning season in 6 years.

Valpo 24 Marist 21

Side Bar: Marist finishes season with Patriot bottom feeder Bucknell and Coach Dave Cecchini.

So is the difference between 6-5 (which would mean 5-3 in the league) vs. 5-6 or 4-7 a truly humongous one in terms of the future of this program?

It sure feels that way, which makes this game significant.

valpofb16

4-7 with a win over San Diego, the Illinois State game, and a 19 point 4th quarter let down against Butler would and should be disappointing.

soapyjeans

Not sure what to expect against Marist.  Has anyone heard anything about Kaplan, is he out for the season? 

usc4valpo

Sorry, I just can't count the COVID mini season as a season as a metric for success. Let's strive for more  than mediocrity folks. A 6-6 season is as exciting as eating a ham sandwich without Swiss and mustard.

valpofb16

No Kaplan or Parrish in 2 deep. Jackson essentially had Kaplans role last season.

Might not hurt to bring him in situationally. As long as they take the QB counter and punt it to the moon

valpofb16

7-0 Beacs,

Needed two missed field goals for defense to wake up. First three and out is followed up by a really bone headed play by Becton. Marist recovers for a third RedZone trip.

valpofb16

24-3 Beacs half.

Appel great , Dawson great, defense great, sprinkling in younger guys.

Very interested in Butler / Drake @ 2PM. Drake has looked better recently

vu72

What a great, well played game by the Beacons!  I think we only had one penalty, which was declined. Near the end of the game I was bouncing back and forth between the football and women's basketball game.  Appel is the real deal and Dawson may be better than Washington!

As a side note, the women's basketball team is off to a great start, beating Southern Mississippi by 7 today, now 2-0.  The Volleyball team won last night so so far, a great weekend all around. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

David81

They dusted themselves off from last week's bad loss and came up with a 21-point win, in an away game against a team with an identical record going in.

Something good and different is brewing here.

And what an amazing season for Dawson. I'm sure it felt like a crapshoot to pick a school and a team for a 5th year, hoping against hope that it will work out. Well, guess what!?  :thumbsup:

valpofb16

Between Dawson / Washington every G5/FCS scholly grad xfer should give Valpo a look.

Vercher may have that potential to step in and be every down, if not this year, the following.

Marist broadcaster said only 3 Beacons are out of eligibility Horton, Sherman, and Dawson. Everyone else has their RS or covid year

valpotx

Great to see us beat a Marist team that we have always struggled against.  If we end up beating Drake at home in our last game, I very much view this season as a large success, in ending 6-5 (5-3).  Winning brings in better recruits, and Fox/his staff has shown that they can retain players from year-to-year, which is another huge factor at this level.  We very well could be 6-4 (5-2) right now, if not for that collapse against Buck Futler. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Speaking of Buck Futler 1-8 Drake Bulldogs just kicked them out of playoffs.

Drake is not a typical 1-8 team. They play defense very fast and downhill. Will be a race to 21 points

IndyValpo

Dawson just passed Washington as the 2nd highest yards rushed in a single season. He needs 205 to be the top. Unlikely against Drake.

usc4valpo

It has been a successful year, not a great success. More to come on this journey. Jackson State is a great success.

valpofb16

Jackson State has a 60k person stadium, a former NFL hall of famer head coach, 65 full ride scholarships

Comparing apples and oranges

usc4valpo

16 - I appreciate that Valpo is getting better, just don't get satisfied by being average. Great progress, but there's a lot more ahead.

soapyjeans

I think Dawson is better than Washington was.  Valpo mixing up the plays confused Marist b/c they expected every 1st down was to Dawson.  This actually allowed Dawson some space to run when he did get the ball & at times was wide open, lol.  It was a exciting game to watch, especially seeing the young, talented kids make some impressive plays.

valpofb16

USC- it's a building process, hopefully Valpo with support of AD/President builds on Fox.

If Valpo finishes 6-5 first thing is first, need to extend Fox and give Fleming/Denecie wages that they stay.

Next thing I would love to see is an indoor multi sport practice facility where the intramural fields are.

Baseball, softball, football, womens soccer, track &field.

Additional space for conditioning with basketball, womens basketball , and volleyball.

Think late fall / spring football would instantly become more enjoyable for the underclassmen

usc4valpo

Whoa - you want to give this dude an extension? One 6-5 season IMO is not deserving of that. We gave Lottich an extension way early and look where that brought us. We should learn from mistakes and take an action for an extension unless it is absolutely required.

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on November 13, 2022, 10:26:05 AMI think Dawson is better than Washington was.  Valpo mixing up the plays confused Marist b/c they expected every 1st down was to Dawson.  This actually allowed Dawson some space to run when he did get the ball & at times was wide open, lol.  It was a exciting game to watch, especially seeing the young, talented kids make some impressive plays.
What was allowing Dawson space was him avoiding a couple of tacklers and sprinting down the sidelines faster than the defenders. This idea that "mixing up the plays" was the determinant is, in scientific terms, poppycock. The determinant was that the plays were executed well enough to succeed and the competition isn't nearly as good as it in a game vs, as a for instance, St. Thomas.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 13, 2022, 01:28:30 PMWhoa - you want to give this dude an extension? One 6-5 season IMO is not deserving of that. We gave Lottich an extension way early and look where that brought us. We should learn from mistakes and take an action for an extension unless it is absolutely required.
The difference in the program from the last coach to the current coach is night and day. Progress goes beyond pure wins and losses.

valpofb16

USC,

With all due respect I can tell there is a disconnect between what is possible at Valparaiso and with what you are wanting done.

Bringing up Jackson State as a comp is just not even realistic. There would need to be multiple millions of dollars for Valpo to think of achieving that.

What is realistic is Valparaiso obtaining the level of success Drake / Dayton / and even Butler achieved the last decade.

Finishing in the top half of the PFL on an annual basis at a school like Valpo is great success. It is much deeper than "not accept 6-5" , the University would have to very much so provide upgraded facilities, staff budgets , and player amenities.

Yes, Fox quite literally does deserve an extension, minus 2019 which he inherited an empty roster (outside of 5-10 guys, and a hurt Seewald).  He is now above .500 in league play.

Last coach to do that by year 4? No one in Valpo history.

usc4valpo

Ok 16 you win - the Jackson State comparison was bad, but Deion was able to raise funds in their tremendous turnaround.

You are probably right, but I am concerned we don't overreact like we did with Lottich giving him an extension.

We should be able to compete with anyone in a non scholarship conference. It is improving.