• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FIRE LOTTICH IMMEDIATELY!!

Started by Chairback, January 07, 2023, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Now, now.  Let's not get touchy or personal. 

However, the reason Rowdy and Peters are brought up is not to relive the past but to underscore the quality and competitive standard that has been lost over the past several years. Everyone wants to get back to that standard of excellence with a new coach and a solid, stable, competitive program like we use to have.  That's not reliving the past.

valpofb16

I honestly was hoping both came back to play. Did a shake and bake talledega nights type deal where Alec got credit all the time.

Then we'd all go over to theta and hail crusaders. If anyone was injured we'd just go to the hospital by the football field.

How's that for your glory days! BRB getting my letter jacket

vu84v2

I actually believe that it is possible to turn Valpo's program around quickly (quickly = two to three years). They are higher teams from higher tier conferences, but look at the turnarounds at Kansas State an Iowa State. However, it will require the right coach who has an effective system, can find the right players for that system, and generates tremendous enthusiasm. Obviously, Matt is not that coach and the right coach will not be there until after this season. It is just a matter of hiring the right coach.

As I have stated previously, money from the New Mexico State game is likely to fund a lot of this transition.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 08, 2023, 04:55:47 PM
I actually believe that it is possible to turn Valpo's program around quickly (quickly = two to three years). As I have stated previously, money from the New Mexico State game is likely to fund a lot of this transition.

As I believe it should be, despite being a former FB guy. A rising tide floats all boats.

usc4valpo

Remembering those great years of Tom Smith and the stall offense at the Hilltop.

VU2014

I have a gut feeling change is coming at the top. I'm finally seeing people who work for the University being to public acknowledge how bad Lottich has been as a head coach, which makes me think the tides are turning.

I know people who have worked for the university (outside the Athletics Department) be extremely cautious about showing any public criticism of Lottich (even so much as liking a tweet) that could be perceived as a slight to Lottich. This year the Team is so bad and the prospects for the future under Lottich's leadership are so gloomy, I've seen employees of the University show their lack of support for him.

Make the change this offseason. He isn't qualified to be the head coach anymore. It's time for change.

craftyrighthander

Let him ride it out and relieve him after the final loss.  Better days ahead.  At least that's what I keep repeating to myself.

Dr. T

Perhaps ... in some fashion, the situation could be chalked up to the ol' chicken or egg aversion. However, one thing we *do* know is that the new President & Director of Athletics are not (unlike their predecessors) responsible for the hiring of Matt. Nor are they responsible for the lack of commitment to the athletics programming. This is their time to act.

Consider Dr. Small's bio:

1. Small serves as the sport administrator for men's basketball and men's and women's track & field and cross country.
[/size]2. [/size]Through his total commitment to the student-athlete experience — an experience he enjoyed firsthand as a Division I men's basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh ...
[/size]3. Small served at power five institutions with proven marquee athletic programs in the Big 12 & SEC, respectively (Iowa State & Arkansas).
[/size]
[/size]There's NO way this guy does not see what we - as mere spectators - see ... I believe in him.

JD24

Cleaning it up:

Quote from: Dr. T on January 08, 2023, 09:47:37 PMPerhaps ... in some fashion, the situation could be chalked up to the ol' chicken or egg aversion. However, one thing we *do* know is that the new President & Director of Athletics are not (unlike their predecessors) responsible for the hiring of Matt. Nor are they responsible for the lack of commitment to the athletics programming. This is their time to act. Consider Dr. Small's bio: 1. Small serves as the sport administrator for men's basketball and men's and women's track & field and cross country. 2. Through his total commitment to the student-athlete experience — an experience he enjoyed firsthand as a Division I men's basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh ... 3. Small served at power five institutions with proven marquee athletic programs in the Big 12 & SEC, respectively (Iowa State & Arkansas).
  There's NO way this guy does not see what we - as mere spectators - see ... I believe in him.

valpotx

Quote from: beacons23 on January 08, 2023, 03:32:24 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2023, 02:37:08 PM
Quote from: beacons23 on January 08, 2023, 11:20:16 AM
Here is the thing
We have facilities worse than most high schools
No marketing department
What do you expect this staff to do?
If the school and alums would actually put some cash into the program maybe we would have better results.
If a player comes here and does above average he will leave-why would you stay at a place with terrible facilities and game environment
And stop bringing up Rowdy Peters etc
They played in leagues that were awful

Definitely a statement from an ignorant/unaware individual.  You are saying that NBA/top European league players, couldn't cut it in the MVC?  When they were playing, the Horizon League was at the same conference RPI level that the MVC now sits.  We were routinely in the 12-16 range, but the MVC during those years was closer to 7-10.  We would beat MVC teams, which were better than the current MVC teams.  Peters put up 30+ during his FR year at Evansville, which was a better team than they have been the last few years.  Rowdy played in a league that had back-to-back National Championship appearances by Butler.  Hell, even our Mid-Con teams were in the same situation, in often beating the same quality of teams that we have struggled to beat in the last few years.  I will give you a pass here, in probably being a recent graduate, and not knowing the history.

You know how someone is from Texas?
Stick around thhey will let you know...
First big mouth...never said they could not play in this league
Just stating that dudes like you are re living the glory days that are gone and not coming back

You mean like how most other people here have their state in their account profile?  Weird, I didn't say anything about Texas, but yes, go TCU (my grad school)!

Instead of being defensive, you should realize that no one here is 'reliving the glory days' on the forum.  Personally, I get to do that every Friday night in my old man/adult baseball league, and I have no need to hold on to our Basketball past, other than the fond memories of winning and being relevant.  We are focused on the quality that Valpo had established in our primary sport, where we rarely had a losing season over a 25 year period.  Pretending that teams are better and more competitive nowadays is a common fallacy, and one that I also believed when I was your age, in looking back at the quality of play for folks in the 70s, 80s, and early/mid-90s.  However, having observed all of these sports since my Valpo graduation in 2004, you realize that the competitive level remains about the same.  In my old man baseball example, I, as a 41 year old now, can still hit the guys coming directly out of college at 22-24 years old.  They also view anyone that came before them as not as athletic or talented, but will eventually come to the same realization that I did, over time.

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2023, 04:07:57 PM
Now, now.  Let's not get touchy or personal. 

However, the reason Rowdy and Peters are brought up is not to relive the past but to underscore the quality and competitive standard that has been lost over the past several years. Everyone wants to get back to that standard of excellence with a new coach and a solid, stable, competitive program like we use to have.  That's not reliving the past.

The HL avg. conf. RPI during Ryan Broekhoff's 4 years was 12th.

'09-10  10th  Butler
'10-11  12th  Butler
'11-12  13th  CSU
'12-13  12th  Valpo  (26-8) (14-4)

Valpo RPI 81, 175, 100 ,59

Apples to apples:
Avg. HL RPI in Broekhoff years: 12th
Avg. MVC RPI past 4 seasons: 13th

Hopefully, we can put to rest this notion that Valpo is playing in a much harder league than in Ryan Broekhoff's "glory days." Those teams would have destroyed this year's collection of mediocre D-1 players 10 out of 10 times. Krikke and King would have been 4th and 5th options on those teams. I can't picture anyone else getting meaningful minutes.

usc4valpo

Good comments. Be aware that the MVC is weaker more diluted conference than it was 10-15 years ago, as is the Horizon conference.

vu84v2

wh - I agree with your general premise, but will add that the bottom half of the MVC (for most years) is far better than the Horizon League was. Far fewer easy wins in the MVC (though Valpo has no easy wins right now).

valpo64

Please...the Horizon League is not comparable to the MVC in fact not even close.  The HL may have a decent team or 2 now and then but they in no way can compete with the top half or so of the MVC on a year in year out basis.  I thought I read earlier on this blog that this year the HL was ranked 28th or so while the MVC was 12th or around there.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on January 09, 2023, 09:02:25 AM
Please...the Horizon League is not comparable to the MVC in fact not even close.  The HL may have a decent team or 2 now and then but they in no way can compete with the top half or so of the MVC on a year in year out basis.  I thought I read earlier on this blog that this year the HL was ranked 28th or so while the MVC was 12th or around there.

I'm not sure you're responding to my post, but if so, you may have missed my point. Unquestionably, the MVC and HL are worlds apart in today's college basketball world. I was responding to the notion that the Ryan Broekhoff teams wouldn't perform nearly as well against today's MVC as they did against HL competition back in the day when the HL and MVC were within 2 or 3 places of each other in conference RPI. Such a claim is simply not supported by the facts. I'm also not suggesting that Valpo return to the HL, albeit talent wise they would be a much better fit (presently).

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 08, 2023, 05:40:19 PM
Remembering those great years of Tom Smith and the stall offense at the Hilltop.

Hey, a few of us here precede even the Smith years. 🤪 Ken Rochlitz was the head coach during the late 70s, when VU had just made its move to DI. Coach Rochlitz did what he could with what he had, and I recall a group of scrappy players who made the most of their DI opportunities. The W-L records, though, were predictable.

I assure folks that I'm not merely wallowing in personal nostalgia, though that comes easily for me! This year's non-conference schedule really did remind me of those days, when VU couldn't, or didn't want to, create a tougher slate. (The biggest exception during my time was a Hilltop game against #1 DePaul!)

We talk about a lot of things that might turn off a potential quality recruit (coach or player), and this year's non-conference schedule may well be one of them.

usc4valpo

I thought Rochlitz was a decent person. Smith on the other hand...well. if the budget is low you have a right to be crabby.

sliman

VU2014

Don't fire a coach mid-season. That just hurts your ability to recruit the next head coach and future assistants. Fire him after the season. Also be fair to the players. It's difficult on student athletes to lose the coaches that recruited you mid-season.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on January 09, 2023, 05:53:38 PM
Don't fire a coach mid-season. That just hurts your ability to recruit the next head coach and future assistants. Fire him after the season. Also be fair to the players. It's difficult on student athletes to lose the coaches that recruited you mid-season.

Above all be fair to the players. But if our kids want a midseason change, listen to them.

usc4valpo

Disagree. If you absolutely know a change is required, be transparent and do it now and designate an interim coach. Let people know that Valpo is making a change.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 09, 2023, 06:40:26 PM
Disagree. If you absolutely know a change is required, be transparent and do it now and designate an interim coach. Let people know that Valpo is making a change.

USC, I disagree with your disagree. We owe our kids some consideration. If they have lost faith in Matt, then by all means make an immediate change whether or not it impacts the final record. However, if they want to finish their college basketball careers under the coach who brought them to Valpo, then do the right thing by them and allow them to finish the season together. Either way Valpo moves on in 2023.   Yeah, D-I BB is a business, but at Valpo's level there is still room for compassion for the students who wind up caught up in the politics. At least give them a voice.

usc4valpo

Ok , as long as they move on and as long as a 2-3 game winning streak for Valpo has no impact...

VULB#62

I agree that Matt should be gone by March but maybe sooner, who knows. I just feel for the kids players.

VU2014

I would really like to hear Paul's thoughts on if he thinks Matt has a legit shot at being fired. If money wasn't an object, 100% move on in the offseason.

But everyone knows the university isn't flush with $ right now. If there is no opt out clause, I question if the University has the stomach to Lottich to go away.

Honestly, if they can't afford to pay Lottich's buyout and afford a new Coach, I'd approach Coach Gore about taking the HC role in a temporary capicity and giving him a shot. Not the ideal scenario, but it would get the head coach out who isn't up to the job. Trust I know the reactions to this suggestion won't be popular and it wouldn't be my preferred scenario either, but it's outside the box thinking. If a Lottich divorce is in the works, I hope Athletics Department keeps Coach Gore on staff. He means a lot to the program beyond just being a coach on staff. He's a very good big man Coach (proven, Krikke has developed and many other past bigs) and he's a connection to Valpo Basketball alums and the past.