• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: beacons23 on February 18, 2023, 01:33:45 PMStart with trying to make WBB better-not hard to do as they are at an all time low
It shows that the President and AD are serious about improving athletics-while not having to come up with 500 k give or take

I'm not sure they are at an all time low but they must be very close. OK. Who would you reccommend taking over for coach Evans?

beacons23

Quote from: justducky on February 18, 2023, 03:46:51 PM
Quote from: beacons23 on February 18, 2023, 01:33:45 PMStart with trying to make WBB better-not hard to do as they are at an all time low
It shows that the President and AD are serious about improving athletics-while not having to come up with 500 k give or take

I'm not sure they are at an all time low but they must be very close. OK. Who would you reccommend taking over for coach Evans?

Unlike most of the "basketball experts" here I have no idea how to find a new coach.
I would leave it to the new AD -someone actually who has been at a high level in Athletics -rather than some that think their season ticket payment or small donation each year permits them to criticize a program-coach and school.
It is hilarious reading some of the comments here...10 dudes that have it all figured out

David81

Quote from: beacons23 on February 18, 2023, 03:54:48 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 18, 2023, 03:46:51 PM

Unlike most of the "basketball experts" here I have no idea how to find a new coach.
I would leave it to the new AD -someone actually who has been at a high level in Athletics -rather than some that think their season ticket payment or small donation each year permits them to criticize a program-coach and school.
It is hilarious reading some of the comments here...10 dudes that have it all figured out

Aww, c'mon now. No one is about to storm the AD's office and take over for him. This thread is borne of frustration and concern over the direction of the MBB program. It's also what being a passionate sports fan in general is all about. You speculate, you rant, you propose your fixes.

I do get that the conversations hit closer to home at a smaller school and discuss a coach who has been a stand-up guy throughout his time at VU. FWIW, I think that many here have expressed their views couched in a tone of respect towards Coach Lottich. Assuming his eventual departure from Valpo, I hope he learns from this experience and gets another chance, at which he succeeds marvelously.

A lot of head coaches who do great things in their careers start with an initial hiccup or two. Hey, I live in Boston, and the HC of the local pro football team happened to be fired by the Cleveland freaking Browns before he was hired here. Go figure....

usc4valpo

Lottich is a decent guy, no one on this board questions that. This is not like the Dale Carlson coaching situation.  I think Lottich wants to move on and there could be a compromise on his contract payout. The apathy is high right now and will get worse if a change isn't made. Small might have second thoughts taking the AD job  if he see himself in a scenario that does operate like a Division 1 program. and BTW, these actions do not contradict the integrity of being Christian/Lutheran school, which is a bogus comment.

tiny707

Complaining about this board..lol. Wisconsin fans want Greg Gard fired. I am more concerned when apathy sets in which I believe has.

valpolaw

Has it been confirmed there's a buyout in Lottichs contract? One would hope there isn't and that the university was smart about the contract. A lot of people on this board wanted Lottich gone when they somehow decided to give him an extension. I hope they made an easy out clause in the contract for the university if it kept going poorly.

VU2014

Quote from: beacons23 on February 18, 2023, 01:33:45 PM
This thread is an epic waste of time
Valpo will not pay out a contract of this magnitude for someone "not" to coach
Like it or not Matt Lottich is our HC for the remainder of his contract

We do not have the resources nor the alumni base(donors) to pay to make a change

Start with trying to make WBB better-not hard to do as they are at an all time low

The devil is really in the details of the contract and if there is opt outs. I don't see the University paying a large opt out fee. If it were a $50K or $75k opt opt out maybe  there would be a discussion. Regardless Ad Small and Pres Padilla owe Alums and fans an explanation or at least hint to an insider such as Paul Oren a hint of future plans for the program and that includes the Coach.

Honestly, I think Coach Evans is a much better Coach than Lottich. I'm not opposed to moving on from her once her contracts up, but I'm less concerned about the leader of the WBB program.

The primary focus and investment should go towards the MBB program. It's Valpo's premier program that has the greatest impact on the University. A dollar spent on MBB could go farther in terms of a return on investment for the University. A long and good Mens NCAA Tournament run not only is great marketing but every small school that has a good run sees increased engagement from potential enrollment in the school. A good run would be a boost in admissions. Not to mention when the Men's Basketball Team is strong morale is high with Alums and fans. When morale is high, the university has an easier time raising donations.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2023, 11:20:12 AMHonestly, I think Coach Evans is a much better Coach than Lottich.

Not to split hairs but I would change "much better coach" to "somewhat better coach".

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2023, 11:20:12 AMI'm not opposed to moving on from her once her contracts up, but I'm less concerned about the leader of the WBB program.

If WBB were our flagship sport we would already have 5 pages of comments and suggestions about finding her replacement. I just don't think her over reliance on outside shooting with insufficient inside help will ever produce a consistent winner in Valley level play.

usc4valpo

With the art fire sale and liberal arts professors trying to keep their stand while instructing a handful of students, I'm now doubt a change is going to be made with the men's basketball program. Valpo really needs to figure out their identity and what they want to be. Also, and I hate to be blunt because there is some pain in this situation, with the declining enrollment which appears to be the trend, keeping academic programs and majors where they have a few students  does not  make sense. There are other universities and colleges, likely with better programs,  that these students can transfer to. This would not be a mass exodus of transfers and it would make Valpo better off economically.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 19, 2023, 12:16:55 PM
With the art fire sale and liberal arts professors trying to keep their stand while instructing a handful of students, I'm now doubt a change is going to be made with the men's basketball program. Valpo really needs to figure out their identity and what they want to be. Also, and I hate to be blunt because there is some pain in this situation, with the declining enrollment which appears to be the trend, keeping academic programs and majors where they have a few students  does not  make sense. There are other universities and colleges, likely with better programs,  that these students can transfer to. This would not be a mass exodus of transfers and it would make Valpo better off economically.

It's 2 or 3 paints things. Wouldn't classify it as a fire sale but I understand your point.

The declining enrollment is not unique to Valpo. It's happening across the country. Young people, particularly young Men are choosing to not attend college because they don't see the ROI anymore. 20-40 years ago the college degree route was a slam dunk to higher wages and more stability in your career. With the age of globalization offshoring work beyond blue collar jobs, that social contract has been broken for the American people. Overall if you look at stats, a college degree on average still leads to higher wages based on the degree a student choose. Liberal Arts degrees empirically are not a wise ROI choice. But if a student chooses the "correct" degree (career path) a degree is well worth it. Example: STEM careers, business, Nursing, etc are generally much safer from a career prospects standpoint. Valpo should prioritize investing those career academic majors. If I were the board I would look to expand academic options for STEM and even more trades/technical fields. I'm not sure how that would work. But there will always be a demand for trades. Maybe the University does a collaboration with a local trades school and buys or merges. It would be a tradition 4 year path, but maybe they the 2 year trades experience and the Valparaiso offers a few years of operation management training.

The University needs to be in the mindset of "Evolve or die". What worked 20 years ago, will not be a sustainable educational plan for students or business plan for the University. The University needs to be customer centric and focused on returning value for the students. IF that means finding new target market changing the customer you cater to, that difficult decision needs to be made. I would pivot away from educational programs with low career earnings potential and focus on careers are growing fields and high earnings potential. If that means we move away from the Liberal Arts school title, so be it. Difficult choices need to be made and leadership needs to have the stomach to make people angry.

VU2014

usc4valpo

I feel bad for Padilla and Small in how they have to handle this situation with cash deficit issues and a few loud, naive  students and professors making it even more confronting. Small is likely limited to make decision best for the athletic program because of this.

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 20, 2023, 09:19:11 AM
I feel bad for Padilla and Small in how they have to handle this situation with cash deficit issues and a few loud, naive  students and professors making it even more confronting. Small is likely limited to make decision best for the athletic program because of this.
I attended a faculty meeting with Padilla and his cabinet last week in which all the details of the art sale plan and the Board's overall budget were offered. For the sake of ethics, I cannot repeat any of the conversation here.

However, two open letters to Padilla and the board strenuously objecting to the art sale have been composed: one by about 100 faculty, including the most revered and respected figures on campus, and another by nearly 400 students to be presented to the student senate for a proposal. There is also talk of a possible alumni letter forthcoming. Rather than "a few loud, naive students and professors," the perspective on campus appears overwhelmingly against Padilla's decision. I have heard no support for the plan. In fact, following the faculty meeting, objections to the art sale have only strengthened. The plan may take place, but the unfortunate consequences will be even greater division and distrust, as well as a further weakening of morale in the university community. 

On another point, I agree with you that an art sale, combined with faculty displeasure over current compensation discussions, would rule out any idea of a buyout or other large expenditures in athletics.

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 20, 2023, 09:19:11 AM

Painting this as "a few loud, naive students" is an understatement.

JD24

Figure we're less than 2 weeks from getting an initial answer to the question which is will Valpo make a change in the first place.

If this is still being discussed 2 weeks from today, it probably isn't happening.

usc4valpo

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/valparaiso-university-students-protest-plan-to-sell-three-paintings-including-a-georgia-o%E2%80%99keeffe.413197/

I hate to see Valpo selling wonderful art pieces, but if needs to survive, you have to make decisions like this.

So there was a report that a grand total of 20 students protested outside Padilla's office regarding the art sale. All were art, creative writing and theatre majors that have a loud, naive voice in programs requiring general funding from the rest of the colleges to stay afloat. Who knows, they may have been influential in the stupid mascot decision.

Lottich is going to keep his job for reasons beyond the control of Padilla and Small.

valpopal

Although I don't believe Lottich is going anywhere this year unless he chooses to do so, in addition to my previous suggestion, should the position open up, of a possible future candidate, J.R. Blount an Assistant Coach of Iowa State, I would add Brandin Knight, Associate Head Coach at Rutgers (formerly at Pittsburgh and brother of NBA's Brevin Knight). Admittedly, I am disregarding any economic elements (I don't doubt they could make higher salaries elsewhere) and focusing solely on the fact that if they want a head coach position, both have past personal connections with AD Small, which could be a compelling factor.

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on February 20, 2023, 10:23:48 AMI attended a faculty meeting with Padilla and his cabinet last week in which all the details of the art sale plan and the Board's overall budget were offered. For the sake of ethics, I cannot repeat any of the conversation here.

However, two open letters to Padilla and the board strenuously objecting to the art sale have been composed: one by about 100 faculty, including the most revered and respected figures on campus, and another by nearly 400 students to be presented to the student senate for a proposal. There is also talk of a possible alumni letter forthcoming. Rather than "a few loud, naive students and professors," the perspective on campus appears overwhelmingly against Padilla's decision. I have heard no support for the plan. In fact, following the faculty meeting, objections to the art sale have only strengthened. The plan may take place, but the unfortunate consequences will be even greater division and distrust, as well as a further weakening of morale in the university community. 

On another point, I agree with you that an art sale, combined with faculty displeasure over current compensation discussions, would rule out any idea of a buyout or other large expenditures in athletics.

I find this very strange. There is a meeting that was designed to foster transparency. The budget is revealed and the disgruntled salary starved faculty does not see any merit in an action plan approved by 22 highly successful people, that potentially helps return the enrollment to previous levels.

You didn't see ANY merit in their plan???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpofb16

Very real possibility that Matt may stay through his contract. And I think you have to support him. It may not be a winning year (most  likely will not be, especially with Krikkes future up in air)

But Lottich did not ask for this situation, he took the extension in good faith. Valpos problems (leave it at that) are not because of a struggling basketball team. There could have been pay cuts across the board over the 2010s. (Salaries are avl and comparable to other similar sized universities online). No sense crying over spilled milk.

The art sale is a major sign of struggle, the students of non profitable majors protesting should be a non factor in decision making (most will graduate check their loan status and realize that art degree would have been a lot more affordable at a state school)

I've said this before, I am not on campus or close to situation, Valpo needs to operate as a failing business and bring business minded people into decision making. They need to cut costs and provide an affordable product. Plain and simple. Valpo is not a brand anymore that will guarantee 5000 undergrad.

Just looking on Twitter. Valpo University 11k followers, Valpo Basketball 9K, Valpo Football 27k. Not really related but that's a massive disparity.

valpolaw

Lottich has a large part in creating this situation. He has ran the schools flagship program to a state where hardly anyone cares about it anymore. The fact that he even remotely has a chance to be the head coach next year is absurd.

valpofb16

Was it him or was it the University and exposure of the game. Bryce picked guys from overseas and Canada and found his role guys from the Midwest (Alec Peters aside).

Players from overseas are getting recruited to big time schools, euro league can sign guys at 14 to their programs, Canada is a recruiting hotspot.

The Universities basketball facilities are outdated and that only heightened in the MVC. Transfer portal is a massive part of the game now, Bryce only had one guy xfer up (Brandon Wood)

Is it a Lottich thing , Valpo thing, Jimmy and Joes thing, Outside sources thing. Probably a combo of all three. Not to mention the jump to the MVC.

I think Matt was dealt a bad hand and listen. If any one of our jobs offered us an extension and a raise to do the same job, we are taking it 10/10 times. It is not his fault that the University does not have the funds to swallow a contract they offered (nor the donors but that is a whole other story)

valpofb16

And to the crowd saying he should step away from 345k in good faith....... Come on now.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 20, 2023, 06:34:29 PM
Was it him or was it the University and exposure of the game. Bryce picked guys from overseas and Canada and found his role guys from the Midwest (Alec Peters aside).

Players from overseas are getting recruited to big time schools, euro league can sign guys at 14 to their programs, Canada is a recruiting hotspot.

The Universities basketball facilities are outdated and that only heightened in the MVC. Transfer portal is a massive part of the game now, Bryce only had one guy xfer up (Brandon Wood)

Is it a Lottich thing , Valpo thing, Jimmy and Joes thing, Outside sources thing. Probably a combo of all three. Not to mention the jump to the MVC.

I think Matt was dealt a bad hand and listen. If any one of our jobs offered us an extension and a raise to do the same job, we are taking it 10/10 times. It is not his fault that the University does not have the funds to swallow a contract they offered (nor the donors but that is a whole other story)
Who's responsible for bringing the Jimmies and Joes into the program?

valpofb16

The Coach, but the school/facilities enable which Jimmy and Joes you can realistically get and retain

justducky

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 20, 2023, 06:34:29 PMBryce only had one guy xfer up (Brandon Wood)

Richie Edwards transferred up to Arizona St then redshirted a year because of it but when elligible barely saw the floor.