• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Regular Season Reflection: Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Started by Dr. T, February 26, 2023, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB

The 2019-2020 was a team was full of potential, fought and hung in just about every game. Took a little luck in the Loyola game, but sometimes teams get the brakes. If Ryan Frazekas was not injured, that was a top 3 seed in the MVC tourney. The game at Arkansas in a hostile environment, against 3 NBA players. We went toe to toe had a 7 point lead late. JFL covered a lot of mistakes on defense and elevated the players around him with his hustle and winning attitude. Kiser blossomed as an offensive threat and McMillan was a threat down the stretch, Sackey at times....serviceable. The blocked shot on Krikke game at Drake. Fighting at Bradley till the end. Many close losses, but you never felt the team was out of any game. 17 three pointers made at home against Bradley late in February. That team was the perfect fit (when healthy) for his "system"  Or was that just JFL and all the roll players around him? Kiser was a player coach, high IQ. Peters last season and the suspension of the Jabril was bad luck, but it appears one team/season was the outlier.  The extension in hindsight was little aggressive. 2:00 Monday, we will all know the fate.

Dr. T

AB - are you referring to 2:00 Monday, 3/6? If so, is a press conference scheduled (regardless of the outcome this weekend)?

AB

I don't have that kinda insider information. I am just assuming we will all know something by Monday afternoon.

wh

Quote from: AB on February 27, 2023, 09:16:57 PM
The 2019-2020 was a team was full of potential, fought and hung in just about every game. Took a little luck in the Loyola game, but sometimes teams get the brakes. If Ryan Frazekas was not injured, that was a top 3 seed in the MVC tourney. The game at Arkansas in a hostile environment, against 3 NBA players. We went toe to toe had a 7 point lead late. JFL covered a lot of mistakes on defense and elevated the players around him with his hustle and winning attitude. Kiser blossomed as an offensive threat and McMillan was a threat down the stretch, Sackey at times....serviceable. The blocked shot on Krikke game at Drake. Fighting at Bradley till the end. Many close losses, but you never felt the team was out of any game. 17 three pointers made at home against Bradley late in February. That team was the perfect fit (when healthy) for his "system"  Or was that just JFL and all the roll players around him? Kiser was a player coach, high IQ. Peters last season and the suspension of the Jabril was bad luck, but it appears one team/season was the outlier.  The extension in hindsight was little aggressive. 2:00 Monday, we will all know the fate.

Nice walk down memory lane. That was a lot of fun!

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2023, 02:16:32 AM
Quote from: AB on February 27, 2023, 09:16:57 PM

Nice walk down memory lane. That was a lot of fun!

Yes but you went down to St Louis while I stayed home and caught covid anyway. That just wasn't fair.   ;)

usc4valpo

If Valpo does not fire Lottich, who has had a more than sufficient window to perform successfully, then we know that this program is truly Division 1 in name only. Cripe, at this stage, instead of delivering the same old stuff, maybe they should remain Division 1 without athletic scholarships.

With this situation, how do you turn it around without commitment?

crusadermoe

Did the reply #16 really say, "Padilla painted himself into a corner?"      :lol: :lol:

valpopal

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 28, 2023, 03:09:47 PM
Did the reply #16 really say, "Padilla painted himself into a corner?"      :lol: :lol:
Thank you, moe! I was hoping someone would appreciate that and the "color me skeptical" in the same post.  ;D

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 28, 2023, 08:05:31 AM
If Valpo does not fire Lottich, who has had a more than sufficient window to perform successfully, then we know that this program is truly Division 1 in name only. Crape, at this stage, instead of delivering the same old stuff, maybe they should remain Division 1 without athletic scholarships.

With this situation, how do you turn it around without commitment?

USC, how would dropping down to D-3, returning to the HL, or ending scholarships as you're currently suggesting serve the greater good of Valparaiso University? If anything, it would draw negative attention to the university at a time when it's already struggling to compete for students. Or, maybe you think it's the honorable thing to do regardless of the consequences? If so, let me suggest that Valpo doesn't owe it to the MVC, its other members, or anyone else to fall on its own sword and get out, simply because it's bb program is struggling. That's ridiculous.

valpo64

Everyone is a happy, supportive fan when you are winning, but where are they when the going gets tough and the team really needs support?

crusadermoe

True.

Did the Americans give up when Germany bombed Pearl Harbor?  Who's with us?  - Bluto Blutarski

Dr. T

Curious to know --- is that a thing? Do programs opt to lower their division level? I know programs opt to drop some sporting teams entirely (We've seen this at Valpo, obviously with men's soccer, etc.). But what recognizable programs (and when) have dropped their level as of late?

To further this inquiry, what programs have opted to drop the level of their main revenue-producing sport? While "that" sport for many schools is football, we cannot say the same for Valpo. It has to be men's bball, right?

I cannot imagine lowering the level of your primary revenue-producing program ...

Perhaps Paul O has this research somewhere in his archives?

vu84v2

Quote from: Dr. T on March 01, 2023, 11:44:05 AM
Curious to know --- is that a thing? Do programs opt to lower their division level? I know programs opt to drop some sporting teams entirely (We've seen this at Valpo, obviously with men's soccer, etc.). But what recognizable programs (and when) have dropped their level as of late?

To further this inquiry, what programs have opted to drop the level of their main revenue-producing sport? While "that" sport for many schools is football, we cannot say the same for Valpo. It has to be men's bball, right?

I cannot imagine lowering the level of your primary revenue-producing program ...

The NCAA requires that all sports be at the same level (note, FBS and FCS are both considered Division 1), with one exception. Universities that are not in the top division for their sports can have one sport compete at a higher level (e.g., Dallas Baptist, any number of hockey programs). I also believe that a university can have a sport compete in a higher division if there is no lower division for that sport. There are a number of universities that have dropped out of Division 1 over the years. Hartford is doing it now. Universities that have moved down include Savannah State and Northeastern Illinois.

Regardless, Valpo should never drop down it its conference or NCAA division.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: Dr. T on March 01, 2023, 11:44:05 AM

The University of Hartford announced that they were going from D-I to D-III right around this time a few years ago when they made the NCAA Tournament as a 16-seed. I believe this is their final year in D-I. It certainly didn't bring GOOD attention to them, and their coach resigned just prior to the season starting back in November. It's not at all common for teams to leave D-I.

VALPO LI

Think way back to the Mid Con days...
Remember Valpo playing Centenary College?  They played D1 sports for about 8 years and then dropped down to DIII after the 2011-2012 season. 
Hartford moved up to D-I in 1984 two years after Valpo did!  The difference is Valpo excelled in it's athletics and moved up to stronger more competitive conferences while Hartford stayed in the American East.
Shine on Vu

valporun

Don't forget, since the NCAA changed the transfer rules, coaches have been practically on eggshells about what they can do because kids are transferring out, without penalty, at any given moment. Lottich has even referred to this as a learning curve that coaches can't look to a reference book about how to handle constant change of roster, even when that change is during the season. This transfer portal, while fans think it is great, it is driving coaches insane because they don't know how to recruit for their programs in the same manner we all knew for years.

usc4valpo

Wh - wrong. stay Division 1 but no athletic scholarships like the Ivy League and some of the Patriot League. We're the Harvard of the Midwest, then let's act like it.

Not firing Lottich because of cash makes us D1 in name only.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valporun on March 01, 2023, 05:14:47 PM
Don't forget, since the NCAA changed the transfer rules, coaches have been practically on eggshells about what they can do because kids are transferring out, without penalty, at any given moment. Lottich has even referred to this as a learning curve that coaches can't look to a reference book about how to handle constant change of roster, even when that change is during the season. This transfer portal, while fans think it is great, it is driving coaches insane because they don't know how to recruit for their programs in the same manner we all knew for years.
I completely agree, but every other coach in America is dealing with the same thing. It shouldn't be a reason why Lottich gets a pass.

Dr. T

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 01, 2023, 07:59:49 PM
Quote from: valporun on March 01, 2023, 05:14:47 PM
I completely agree, but every other coach in America is dealing with the same thing. It shouldn't be a reason why Lottich gets a pass.

Like AlaskaCrusader19 points out - it's relative. In its current form, the transfer portal is new for all coaches. Sure, some programs are more impacted by it than others. Here's the thing, though ... around 1,500 players enter the portal for MBB. It goes both ways. It's a new reality of the game. If you make over $300k a year, you should be held accountable for rolling with the punches, not making excuses. Whether a player is looking for more minutes, not content with the direction of a program, dealing with a breakup, looking for a NIL deal, not jiving with their coach, dealing with a coach leaving, looking for a bigger stage, or any other amalgamation of variables - it works both ways. If you've got the chops, you've got the chops.

valpofb16

USC I spit my drink out at Harvard of the Midwest

Harvard acceptance rate : 4%
Harvard grad average salary: 84k

Valparaiso acceptance rate: 93%
Valparaiso grad average salary: 55k

Basketball May have a few rough years until University gets some things right. Remember these are student athletes and real people. They want to enjoy their time at a place.

Full faith Valpo will get there. Will take some steps back to move forward. First thing I believe true is Valpos next coach should get a modest three year deal.

usc4valpo

Dude, I'm just saying Valpo has been described as the "Harvard of the Midwest" or the "Poor Man's Harvard". And so they say, Ivy League schools do not provide athletic scholarships. You save $650k a year if the don't provide athletic scholarships. People are whining about cost, I just throw a solution. But it's probably a dumb solution. Keeping Lottich is also a bad solution.

However to 64, if the program is not performing per expectations, critiquing and addressing it is fair and correct. It is better than apathy.

We're in D1, let's act like it and treat the program like it is. Performance wise Matt is not meeting expectations. By his demeanor, he looks like he's had enough. Make the change for the better and find a way to manage the cost.  Be a D1 program and not pretend.

VULB#62

While waiting for the next TVB to come out and just to satisfy a morbid sense of curiosity I checked the All-time MBB Results. I was curious as to when was the last time a Valpo MBB team had as many as three losing seasons in a row. While there were a number in the far distant past, the most recent was 30 years ago.   

Taking over from Tom Smith who had eight consecutive losing seasons, the 92-93 season capped off a five season run of losing basketball under Homer Drew. After those five, Homer went 20-8 the following year and only had one back-to-back losing season string in the remainder of his career. 

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 02, 2023, 02:31:01 PMWhile waiting for the next TVB to come out and just to satisfy a morbid sense of curiosity I checked the All-time MBB Results. I was curious as to when was the last time a Valpo MBB team had as many as three losing seasons in a row. While there were a number in the far distant past, the most recent was 30 years ago. Taking over from Tom Smith who had consecutive losing seasons, the 92-93 season capped off a five season run of losing basketball under Homer Drew. After those five, Homer went 20-8 the following year and only had one back-to-back losing season string in the remainder of his career.
How old are Lottich's kids and do any of them play basketball?

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on February 27, 2023, 03:30:16 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on February 27, 2023, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: may know on February 27, 2023, 10:27:03 AM
The light at the end of the tunnel is seeing what the new President and new AD do this spring. I'm confident they will make moves to instill hope.
I wish I had your confidence about changes. I hope I am wrong.
We have a university president who has painted himself into a corner economically with the proposed art sale and in whom trust has been significantly eroded among the campus community. We also have an AD whose first significant hire (Elliott Charles as Executive Associate Athletic Director) lasted about a month before disappearing for unknown reasons and memory-holed by the administration. So, based upon these recent actions, my current confidence level is low, and you can color me skeptical.
Skeptical is an understatement, both University wise and athletics. I hope we aren't seeing the last years of this University

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on February 28, 2023, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 28, 2023, 03:09:47 PM
Thank you, moe! I was hoping someone would appreciate that and the "color me skeptical" in the same post.  ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk