• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness (MVC MBB Tournament)

Started by historyman, February 27, 2023, 09:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

They are currently partying at the University Library and Lucky Horse at the greatest city in the world!

usc4valpo

Drake already a popular first round pick to upset. They were certainly on fire. They are partying on Court Ave.!

VU2014

I'm glad to see Drake move on. I've seen some recent talk on twitter from a few Alums questioning the move to the MVC.

Drake is probably the most similar school in our Conference to us. They are going to the ncaa tournament now.

They made 2 pretty strong coaching hires in a row and look at them now. Mark LaBarbera and the University botched the Lottich hire and it has cost the athletics department dearly.

We need Dr Small to mail the next hire whether that be this offseason, next or in 2025 (... :'(  ). We can thrive with the right coach and if the university comes up with a realistic plan for a new arena.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 05, 2023, 08:23:00 AM
I am rooting for Des Moines' team and hope for a big party in Dogtown.

How 'bout them Bulldogs (the Iowa kind). They were much more impressive but Bradley coach, Wardle laid another egg.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I know this - if Drake can do it, certainly Valpo can if they are committed.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 05, 2023, 06:57:21 PM
I know this - if Drake can do it, certainly Valpo can if they are committed.

Indeed. Drake, Bradley, and Belmont are all mid-sized private universities, none are instantly identified as being mid-major MBB powers (solid, yes; exceptional, no), none are awash in cash, and each must also cope with the transfer portal. Yet more often than not, each has the potential to compete for a conference championship during a given season.

So maybe VU's path back to competitiveness may not be as elusive as it seems.

tiny707

I believe Drake and Bradley arenas are owned by the city? Maybe we should recruit in our back yard? Roman Penn, DJ, Connor all at Drake. Drew Scharnowski headed to  Belmont.

usc4valpo

may know

Just got back from STL. The crowds, in terms of butts in the seats, were way higher this year than the past 5 years. Just absolutely awesome environments Friday thru Sunday. Bradley and SIU brought massive crowds. Drake, Murray, UNI, and both ISUs had strong showings. Those 7 sold out their allotments. People who aren't going are really missing on an insanely fun weekend.

I really, really hope we can bring a crowd someday that can respectably measure up to  some of those schools. It makes me sad that we only have a few dozen. Props to the fan with the white beard (don't know his name) who shows up every year in that old school Valpo shirt.

historyman

I also wanted to say I didn't think it was possible but this year's Arch Madness was even better than some of the other Arch Madness' tournaments I've experienced in the past years. I did not attend during the  COVID years 2021, 2022. It is simply an amazing event that not many conferences can compete with.

I do wish Todd Thomas, the entertainer on the microphone that does things during breaks in the action in the Enterprise Center and I believe he does things for the Cardinals all year in Busch Stadium would change up his act a little. There hasn't been a change in his act in probably 6 years.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2023, 08:15:25 AM

Finally, I'll conclude with a financial justification for moving on from Matt.  Here it is--the last time we had a winning record was 2019-2020 at 19-16.  That year we drew 2971 per game in attendance.  The last two years we have averaged 1692 per game.  Without specific knowledge, other than seeing the chairbacks half full, I'll use $20 as the average ticket price.  That means we lost an average of 1,280 ticket sales at $20 or $25,600 per game or 256,000 per season based on 10 home games.  So over the last two season, a combined loss of $512,000.  There is your justification for his buyout.

72, I don't think your numbers quite make sense. The attendance numbers surely include students: To my knowledge, they are not paying to go to the games, and certainly not $20 per ticket. Said another way, if attendance is down by 1,280, could student attendance account for half of that drop? Hard to say from my vantage point, yet it looks like there are fewer student-age fans in the seats.

Clearly, there still could be a buyout, and I'm sure the Department has been running some numbers about the costs associated with declining attendance. This also may include others who have cut or cut back on their donations.

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on March 06, 2023, 09:57:44 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2023, 08:15:25 AM

Finally, I'll conclude with a financial justification for moving on from Matt.  Here it is--the last time we had a winning record was 2019-2020 at 19-16.  That year we drew 2971 per game in attendance.  The last two years we have averaged 1692 per game.  Without specific knowledge, other than seeing the chairbacks half full, I'll use $20 as the average ticket price.  That means we lost an average of 1,280 ticket sales at $20 or $25,600 per game or 256,000 per season based on 10 home games.  So over the last two season, a combined loss of $512,000.  There is your justification for his buyout.

72, I don't think your numbers quite make sense. The attendance numbers surely include students: To my knowledge, they are not paying to go to the games, and certainly not $20 per ticket. Said another way, if attendance is down by 1,280, could student attendance account for half of that drop? Hard to say from my vantage point, yet it looks like there are fewer student-age fans in the seats.

Clearly, there still could be a buyout, and I'm sure the Department has been running some numbers about the costs associated with declining attendance. This also may include others who have cut or cut back on their donations.

Quote from: valpo95 on March 06, 2023, 09:57:44 AMif attendance is down by 1,280, could student attendance account for half of that drop? Hard to say from my vantage point, yet it looks like there are fewer student-age fans in the seats.

95, the attendance is down 1280 PER GAME!  if the students made up half then 640 students per game were missing.  We may not have drawn 640 students to any game.  Your point is well taken however. I still think that is chairbacks made up a quarter of the drop or 320 per game, at what? $35 per game?  That is and of itself makes up $11000 lost per game.  Is 35 right for chairbacks?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

I think ticket prices are too high. If I lived in Valpo, I would think twice before paying anything more than $15 for a ticket. $35 a ticket for chairbacks? Forget about it.

I mentioned in another thread that Valpo signed an agreement with Van Wagner to take over sponsorships, media sales, game day promotions, and more. I believe they are also responsible for the TickPick ticket resale website.

Considering how the game day environment has declined, maybe it's worth revisiting that agreement?
I believe that we will win.

beacons23

Students get in free and still dont go-bad product/bad environment

Dr. T

I paid $35 for chairbacks ONE time this year, and that was ONE time too many. I only did it out of necessity - the bleacher seats don't give back support. Spend the money on seats or a chiropractor appt. thereafter. Needless to say, I suppose it was a ~$150 donation  :)

historyman

Quote from: historyman on February 28, 2023, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: AB on February 27, 2023, 12:50:36 PMWell. Hard to beat a team 3 times in one season.

It's been totally proven that this is not true and it does happen more often than you think. It just doesn't stick out in your memory.

Case in point, Penn State beat Illinois 3 times this year despite Illinois finishing 3 spots ahead of the Nitpicking Lions in the B1G standings. Three fricking times!

EDIT: It was actually a spell check error I missed but I kind of like "Nitpicking Lions"  better.