• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the decision be?

Started by may know, March 02, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will there be a change at HC?

Yes
8 (38.1%)
No
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 05, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

may know

It is very rare a D1 coach is hired without a 4-year contract. You could all but guarantee that APSU coachhad 4 years.

wh

Quote from: historyman on March 06, 2023, 06:26:38 AM
"Austin Peay has parted ways with head coach Nate James, source told @stadium . The former Duke assistant was 21-39 in two seasons at the helm.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/apsu/2023/03/05/nate-james-fired-austin-peay-mens-basketball-asun-duke/69975019007/

There is no mention of the length of Nate James' contract but my guess is he probably only had a two year contract at Austin Peay because there is no mention of having to buy out any years on a contract.

"Apr 6, 2021 — James will make $295,000 for the first two years of a five-year contract. That will be bumped to $300,000 in Year 3 and $310,000 in years four and five."

tiny707

Can someone let Dot know that some Mid Majors fire coaches after two years..seven is more than fair.

wh

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2023, 08:22:00 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 06, 2023, 06:26:38 AM
"Austin Peay has parted ways with head coach Nate James, source told @stadium . The former Duke assistant was 21-39 in two seasons at the helm.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/apsu/2023/03/05/nate-james-fired-austin-peay-mens-basketball-asun-duke/69975019007/

There is no mention of the length of Nate James' contract but my guess is he probably only had a two year contract at Austin Peay because there is no mention of having to buy out any years on a contract.

"Apr 6, 2021 — James will make $295,000 for the first two years of a five-year contract. That will be bumped to $300,000 in Year 3 and $310,000 in years four and five."

It appears that APU will be paying James $650,000 to buy out his contract.

Termination Without Cause: In the event of termination without cause, the University shall pay Coach James the remaining value of his contract if terminated between 3/22/21 and 6/30/2022. If terminated between 7/1/2022 and 6/30/2023 the University shall pay Coach James $650,000. If terminated between 7/1/2023 and 6/30/2024 the University shall pay Coach James $400,000 and if terminated between 7/1/2024 and 4/30/2025 the University shall pay Coach James $300,000 and if terminated between 7/1/2025 and 4/30/2026 the remaining base salary value on the contract at time of termination. This will be payable over a 24-month period subject to applicable taxes.

Termination for Cause: If terminated for cause, Coach James shall be entitled to receive compensation through the last day of the calendar month in which his employment terminates.

https://html.scribdassets.com/56t60u7yyo8ne26j/images/5-f56af6225b.jpg

JD24

Anyone have any compromising pictures of Coach Lottich? Maybe making an angry face during a kids soccer game or something sinister such as that?

VULB#62

When will we hear something?

I highly recommend everyone read Paul's latest TVB:  A Way Too Early Look at 2023-24 Valpo Men's Basketball.

His assessment about both Lotich's and Krikke's presence or non-presence weighs heavily in the maneuvering that could be taking place involving Smart and Padilla, and also he prudently spotlights the Final Four as probably the key point in time for anything that might happen with respect to a coaching change. So inquiring minds should probably drink a shot of patience — for now.

But you have to read his full take on that (as well as how the transfer portal operates) to get the full impact of the story.

beacons23

Most schools seem to make a change at the conclusion of the season
Why wait till the final 4?
Just seems as though we will be status quo with coaches.
Really doesn't matter - so few people really care anymore it's not a big deal

bigmosmithfan_2

The annual national coaches' convention is during the Final Four. Until a few years ago, that was traditionally where a lot of hiring of new coaches went on, since all of the ADs agents, and coaches are in one spot and interviews can take place in private conference rooms or hotel suites (or heck even out in the open) without anyone thinking much of it, since everyone is socializing with one another. That doesn't make sense to wait to relieve a coach of his duties until then, though.

bigmosmithfan_2

Making my annual visit to say a couple of things...

1. The fiscal issues facing the university are 100% NOT an excuse to continue on our current path with the current HC. If you somehow have basketball reasons (that nobody else is seeing) to keep Lottich and his staff in place, fine, tell us them so we can agree or disagree. But Division 1 schools do not let their LONE revenue sport, and one that was a signature attraction to the university, languish because of financial issues further up the chain. Doesn't happen. Can't happen. Further, it's self-defeating. It'd be like the university stopping spending on marketing or advertising until all of the fiscal issues are resolved--you damage your enrollment worse than you do by spending that money. Athletics are marketing for VU, like it or not, and they need to be tended as such. Find the damn money, amortize the buyout, do what you have to do here. Basketball isn't the university nor what makes it, but it is the front porch of the university, and if the front porch is in disrepair, people tend to think the house is as well.

2. This is also an area where the university's traditional lack of engaging the town in fundraising efforts is hurting them. The most successful institutions don't just focus on alumni giving, but philanthropy from friends, supporters and corporations in the communities they call home. Valpo is an affluent city, and the university has not emphasized a sense of ownership/connection with local residents who might be inclined to financially support the university in their hometown. That needs to change, no matter the coaching decision.

3. It's WELL past time for some creative thinking on the part of the university regarding the facilities they've been promising to upgrade (but haven't lifted a finger on) for nearly 20 damn years now. Because a) any new coach worth their salt will demand VU finally get off it's butt and do so and b) without said facility renovations/new arena, the long-term trajectory of this program is gonna be exactly what it is right now. If I were a MVC official or president, I'd be furious and feel lied to by Valpo. Heck, even if some of the ideas don't work out, at least TRY. Talk to the city, see if there's interest in putting a multi-use arena/entertainment facility on the old hospital property they might want to partner on. Having a facility like that within walking distance of all the downtown dining and attractions might be something the city and it's business community would interested in right now. Maybe not. But MAKE THE EFFORT AND SEE IF THEY ARE RATHER THAN DISMISSING IT AND SAYING "WE CAN'T." "We Can't" has practically become the university motto over the past decade and a half.

I don't think most people understand how perilously close we are this program is to sinking into long-term apathy like the one it was in where Tom Smith resigned. He CHOSE to leave NOT because he was about to get fired, but because as he put it, nobody cared enough to even talk about firing him! The program was directionless, nobody cared and he didn't want to continue in a losing situation. Let's not go back to that.

Dr. T

If finances are a concern, I see no reason why ML & Co. should be attending the Final 4 or the National Coaches Conference. If he's the coach for the next 1-2 years until his contract ends, it's not like there will be substantive changes gleaned from clinics that alter his coaching philosophy. The only reason Padilla or Small should attend is if they're in the market for a new HC! In that case, they should bring their bobbers and put some lines out there ... see what sorts of bites they can get! This would mean it must be made clear that ML is not being retained.

vu84v2

Quote from: Dr. T on March 06, 2023, 09:32:52 PM
If finances are a concern, I see no reason why ML & Co. should be attending the Final 4 or the National Coaches Conference. If he's the coach for the next 1-2 years until his contract ends, it's not like there will be substantive changes gleaned from clinics that alter his coaching philosophy. The only reason Padilla or Small should attend is if they're in the market for a new HC! In that case, they should bring their bobbers and put some lines out there ... see what sorts of bites they can get! This would mean it must be made clear that ML is not being retained.

The contract for ML and Co. may include paying for annual trips to the Final four or the National Coaches Conference. Or the contract may include a discretionary annual travel budget. Not saying that the contract includes these terms, but I would not be surprised if they were included.

Pgmado

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 06, 2023, 10:42:36 PM
Quote from: Dr. T on March 06, 2023, 09:32:52 PM

The contract for ML and Co. may include paying for annual trips to the Final four or the National Coaches Conference. Or the contract may include a discretionary annual travel budget. Not saying that the contract includes these terms, but I would not be surprised if they were included.

Pretty sure Valley holds coaches meetings at the F4 every year. I know most conferences do that from what I understand.

JD24

Waiting for the Final 4 is pointless. If those making this decision need that much more time to decide then it is they who need to be dismissed as well.

The move, if it is going to be made should have been made today. The fact that it was not has my "they're keeping him" meter at about a 90 percentile at this point.

usc4valpo

Based on the last few responses, A 2 year buyout compared to  big picture success described by BigMoeSmith (awesome alias BTW) is petty. Do the right thing for all parties for Valpo.

vu84v2

Quote from: JD24 on March 06, 2023, 11:00:54 PM
Waiting for the Final 4 is pointless. If those making this decision need that much more time to decide then it is they who need to be dismissed as well.

The move, if it is going to be made should have been made today. The fact that it was not has my "they're keeping him" meter at about a 90 percentile at this point.

Agree that waiting to after the Final Four makes no sense, but it is reasonable that working this out would extend through this week (but not much further).

historyman

You guys need to go on with life. This is what is going to happen.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan_2 on March 06, 2023, 09:17:17 PMThis is also an area where the university's traditional lack of engaging the town in fundraising efforts is hurting them. The most successful institutions don't just focus on alumni giving, but philanthropy from friends, supporters and corporations in the communities they call home. Valpo is an affluent city, and the university has not emphasized a sense of ownership/connection with local residents who might be inclined to financially support the university in their hometown. That needs to change, no matter the coaching decision.

3. It's WELL past time for some creative thinking on the part of the university regarding the facilities they've been promising to upgrade (but haven't lifted a finger on) for nearly 20 damn years now.

Welcome back bigmo.  A couple of things to point out as it seems you aren't following Valpo basketball as you once did.  Charles Small is the new AD and has made it very clear in his monthly AD talks that Valpo has launched an initiative with the local community to raise funds for among other things, NIL efforts.  This is going to be a key part of recruitment, especially for more highly sought after players.
As for no efforts in the last 20 years thing, remember that during that time Mark L. raised the funds to renovate Hilltop into a first rate practice facility--including air conditioning.  Is it a new arena? certainly not but, it is also well known that a feasibility assessment in under way by a Columbus, Ohio architect firm which should be available by June.  This will give the Administration choices as to whether or not a new arena is built on the hospital grounds or a major renovation is done to the ARC.  President Padilla has said publicly that he favors a new arena but we'll just have to wait a little longer to find out which direction is taken.  Remember, Padilla and Small inherited this mess, they didn't preside over it for years like others have.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 07, 2023, 06:55:26 AM
Quote from: JD24 on March 06, 2023, 11:00:54 PMWaiting for the Final 4 is pointless. If those making this decision need that much more time to decide then it is they who need to be dismissed as well. The move, if it is going to be made should have been made today. The fact that it was not has my "they're keeping him" meter at about a 90 percentile at this point.
Agree that waiting to after the Final Four makes no sense, but it is reasonable that working this out would extend through this week (but not much further).
What's to work out? If the decision is to move on then fire him. Any negotiations with him at that point would not be affected by the termination.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 07, 2023, 06:55:26 AM
Quote from: JD24 on March 06, 2023, 11:00:54 PM

Waiting until the Final Four to fire Lottich would be nonsensical. They'd want to have some time to line up conversations prior to flying to Houston. If Lottich is still the head coach next week, I think he'll be back for another season.

valpofb16

For the guys holding out hope.

University isn't going to break tradition and fire a coach prematurely. They sure are not going to do it and pay an additional 690k.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 07, 2023, 12:57:39 PM
For the guys holding out hope.

University isn't going to break tradition and fire a coach prematurely. They sure are not going to do it and pay an additional 690k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

crusadermoe

I hope I am wrong, but I really doubt that our butts in the seats revenue is that high in relation to the direct expense of  traveling D-1 teams.  Let's just guess prices and numbers at 800 chairbacks at $180 season tickets ($154,000) and 500 bleachers at 15 ($7,500.)

Direct profit/loss has been a point of contention across the country outside the Power 5 and their vast TV income. We can argue the indirect benefits to enrollment, name recognition, and loss of students who would not come to VU save for joining a team on a D-1 program. i maintain those indirect benefits are real in football vs 5 road games per year. With empty dorm rooms there really isn't a cost to offer that to the players. Fewer schools than you think generate a net profit in basketball.  I think there were 3 dozen on a list someone on this board found 4-5 years ago. Dr. Small has his work cut out for him.  A sugar daddy (or momma) may need to not only build an arena, but also underwrite some athletics annual spending until the larger VU ocean liner is turned. 

4throwfan

I wonder whether the school has an analysis that shows the difference in revenue, either through enrollment, ticket sales, shirt sales, TV revenue, etc., as between a winning MBB program and a losing MBB program. 

Where I'm going with this is: I wonder whether the cost of NOT making a change is greater than the sunk cost of making a change.

To be clear, I have no idea, so not suggesting one way or the other.