• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

POLL: Will tonight be Matt Lottich’s final game coaching Valpo Basketball?

Started by VU2014, March 02, 2023, 08:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will tonight be Matt Lottich's final game coaching Valpo Basketball?

Yes
No

VU2014

Will tonight be Matt Lottich's final game coaching Valpo Basketball?

Yes or No?

Should tonight be Matt Lottich's final game coaching Valpo Basketball?

Yes or No?

justducky

It should.

Even if we can not find the money to fire him he should do the honorable thing and resign.

usc4valpo

Well, that will certainly not happen. Maybe some deal in between.

VULB#62

There are a number of options that Matt and Smart can pursue. Given the university's financial situation, a cash buy out is off the table. But how about an extended severance spread over, say, 5 years instead of 2? How about a decrease in severance if he lands an assistant slot that pays equal to or above his current contract?  I can't help but feel that two honorable entities could work something out something to the benefit of both.

VU2014

Heard an interesting tip from a non-Valpo basketball source, that other coaches are interested in the Valpo HC job. And the name I heard specifically is not some no name guy.

Now does Valpo actually move off of Lottich's contract somehow? I have no clue.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 02, 2023, 08:54:11 PMHeard an interesting tip from a non-Valpo basketball source, that other coaches are interested in the Valpo HC job. And the name I heard specifically is not some no name guy.

Does this individual have a core body temperature at or about 98.6? If so I will be glad to recommend him or her.

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 02, 2023, 08:41:39 PMI can't help but feel that that two honorable entities could work something out something to the benefit of both.

Matt has to be embarrassed with the overall results of his tenure. He also can see that the fan base has abandoned him. How can he achieve any job satisfaction if he sticks around next year just for the money?

Thank you Matt for giving it your best effort!

Dr. T

Another Thursday Arch Madness game. This time, however, against a team that's beaten you 2x (both of which went down to the wire). One of which was a mere matter of days ago. We cannot blame the loss on Valpo having a quick turnaround compared to their opponent since they played each other the last time out. This time around, however, it's an absolute blowout. What an embarrassing way to finish. And, we cannot continue chalking the losses to Murray State up to their former NBA talent. The key word is "former" ... there's no Ja Morant on this team. We didn't even have our band there. We're a shell of a program. A bottom feeder in the valley. Not even competitive tonight against a 7 seed. 28 point loss where Murray State cleared the bench down the stretch. A team that's 17-14. 3 of the 17 wins, by the way, are v. Valpo. Take Valpo out of the equation and they're a 14-14 team. 25 pts in the 1st half & 25 pts in the 2nd half. To a team that's in its first year as a member of the Valley ... playing in its first game of Arch Madness.

Valpo comes to a close with an 11-21 record on the season.

How much worse can it get?

valpolaw

Vu2014 who did you hear is interested? We need some positive news so please please share

VU2014

Quote from: valpolaw on March 02, 2023, 09:45:03 PM
Vu2014 who did you hear is interested? We need some positive news so please please share

It's a legit Coach with a known name in the Midwest. I'd share but the guy (not associate with the university) who told me not disclose the name.

I personally told him, I didn't think we'd be moving off lottich due to the contract, but I thought I'd share. It was encouraging news to me to hear someone like this person was interested in the job.

JD24

Cant lay an egg like this and survive.

However...I fear he will and that will not be a good sign for the program and the Univ. in general.

wh

IMO, after reading '72's Moody rating post, squandering $400K on a coaching buyout would be a breach of fiduciary duty by the president and board.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 03, 2023, 01:15:42 AMIMO, after reading '72's Moody rating post, squandering $400K on a coaching buyout would be a breach of fiduciary duty by the president and board.

I reached the same conclusion and so should Matt. With every outcome surrounded by painful realities he should be nudged towards a direction he is predisposed to travel. Because coaching another season looks like a jagged and hostile downhill slide, there should be some room to negotiate a friendly and face saving exit.

vu84v2

wh and justducky raise some very good points about fiscal responsibility. Valpo cannot carry on with a situation that is not very likely to improve (i.e., current state of the basketball program), but needs to try to find a fiscally responsible way out of this (which is far more easily said than done). If Valpo retains Coach Lottich for another year, it will send a strong message to students and other key stakeholders that basketball is not very important right now.

Also, remember that Valparaiso Athletics had a $300K ($425K minus Valpo's costs) windfall from the New Mexico State buy game. To what degree does the athletic department have the authority to use that money as they see fit?

crusadermoe

Yes, let's give them room to figure this out. And maybe even stop the drum beat and pitchforks and torches.

He seems ripe for an assistant role to learn head coaching at either a P5 or at a really good mid-major.  Hopefully the can combine a reasonable reduced VU buy out with a new position. It may be really hard to match his current pay, but the resume might look better for his bright and long future ahead.  NFL head coaches leave a team and become key assistant coaches.  No shame in that.

JD24

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 03, 2023, 12:47:45 PMYes, let's give them room to figure this out. And maybe even stop the drum beat and pitchforks and torches. He seems ripe for an assistant role to learn head coaching at either a P5 or at a really good mid-major.  Hopefully the can combine a reasonable reduced VU buy out with a new position. It may be really hard to match his current pay, but the resume might look better for his bright and long future ahead.  NFL head coaches leave a team and become key assistant coaches.  No shame in that.
That room should have been essentially the entire length of the season. From day one it was apparent this could be an issue at season's end so an exit strategy should have been formed and decided prior to anything that happened this past week.