• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What is to be made of Dr. Small's public statement?

Started by Dr. T, March 04, 2023, 08:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 13, 2023, 10:39:41 AM
Quote from: Valpo1993 on March 13, 2023, 10:20:51 AM
Quote from: may know on March 13, 2023, 12:51:05 AM
Homer and Bryce will show up for reunions and put on a good face publicly about how great is Valpo, but privately you know they're talking amongst themselves about how big of a dumpster fire VU has become.
Don't you think VU hired Lottich because the Drew's said he was best for the job. 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.  Powell was offered the job. He declined and went to N'ville with Bryce. Got to assume that Luke was next in line due to his experience as a long-time assistant at Valpo. It would be the logical next step. Have to also assume he declined. We can speculate as to why but two things come to mind. He may have felt he wasn't ready yet or, and some people are like this, he just wants to be an assistant rather than have the responsibility of being the head guy. Who's left? Matt. 

Here's the kicker.  This was a very hot opening in the D-I basketball world at the time.  Yet, from the outset Valpo consciously chose to stay within the  immediate Valpo family — they didn't even look at the extended family, i.e., Tonagel. Why? I can't figure why you wouldn't at least dip your toe in the waters of the national coaching marketplace just to get a feel for what could be possible. Nothing to lose everything to gain — you could always back away and stay in-house. It remains a mystery that defies logic.

My thought was that Powell was out of the picture by that point because Bryce probably asked him to go to Vandy immediately because that was a more fluid situation. It was never confirmed, I believe, that Powell was ever offered the Valpo head job. It was just suppositioned (is it a verb?) on this board if I remember correctly.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on March 13, 2023, 10:54:28 AM
My thought was that Powell was out of the picture by that point because Bryce probably asked him to go to Vandy immediately because that was a more fluid situation. It was never confirmed, I believe, that Powell was ever offered the Valpo head job. It was just suppositioned (is it a verb?) on this board if I remember correctly.

If not, it is now. 😀 The thing is we'll never know. And let's say Bryce immediately invited Roger to go to Vandy with him.  But even at that, had MLB offered the HC job to him, would Bryce have stood in Roger's way?  So, perhaps you suppositioned correctly that MLB assumed Roger was outta there and didn't even try to sell him on the job.

tiny707

Bryce not coming back to VU. Valpo is a step down. I think he makes a million a year, great venue, intense fans and no snow.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on March 13, 2023, 12:26:45 PM
Bryce not coming back to VU. Valpo is a step down. I think he makes a million a year, great venue, intense fans and no snow.

The WAC (NET 11) has gone from death's door to blowing past the MVC (NET 15). Grand Canyon, who finished 6th in a 13 team league, is a 14 seed. Drake is a 12. He's head coach of a better team in a better league. Grand Canyon is and long has been fully invested in elevating the status of its men's bb program. Nostalgia only goes so far.