• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Post-season player evaluation

Started by humbleopinion, March 05, 2023, 06:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Let's have a thread that doesn't devolve into a coach conversation (PLEASE!) or previous years' favorite -- facilities.

Watching the tournament, it has been so clear that the talent of the winning teams was a level above what we put on the court this year.

Given  that we have 6' 9" center Zane Doughty, 6'6" shooting guard Yanis Bamba, and 6'1" point guard Jahari Williamson committed, what would you say to the veteran players.

I see two projects on the team (both Dutch) who have promise to be impact players in the MVC, but I'm not sure about anyone else (other than Ben)  who would break into a starting lineup on any of the top eight teams in the Valley. 

Am I too hard on the bench?

Beamin' Beacons

JD24

Considering the bench play, I think you have the answer.

Also probably premature to factor in nearly anyone until the coaching situation is settled.

Dr. T

Ya ... I don't disagree ... side note: we really don't know much about Cam at this point & ML was high on Preston before injury. But, I'm not suggesting they would break into a lineup elsewhere in the MVC.

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 05, 2023, 06:39:26 AMI see two projects on the team (both Dutch) who have promise to be impact players in the MVC, but I'm not sure about anyone else (other than Ben)  who would break into a starting lineup on any of the top eight teams in the Valley. 

As a Jr or Sr Nelson might develop enough to be a top 8 team MVC starter but only Bayu clearly falls in that same or better category of potential. Critical game weaknesses cap the upside for the rest of the bunch but several could be solid bench role players either here or elsewhere.

Wow! I just read my assessment above and realize that I don't have much to look forward to.  :(

valpofb16

Using Hollingers PER rating , I think it is actually rather reflective (given 15 is an average starter)

Krikke - 23.2 - Outstanding season

Kobe King - 14.3
Nick Edwards - 14
Quinton Green -13 -Average , slightly below average MVC starters

Max Nelson - 7.6 as a starter, ouch

Barrett, DeAveiro, Bayo , Palm , under 10 , ouch.

Ruedinger had a 1 PER , and a 30% True shooting percentage when he played. Might've been worst player in country Analytics wise

David81

Among specific things to consider is how the 3-point shooting was beyond abysmal, especially when factoring in how the overall team 3-point shooting percentage (.296) was significantly fluffed up against the weakest teams on the schedule.

Of those eligible to return, Nelson (.342) and Barrett (.354) showed some ability from outside. But at this point, neither can be called a reliable 3-point threat when a game is on the line. Nelson is the better candidate to take a significant step up in this regard.

I'll defer to those of you more familiar with the incoming players as to whether any of them might remedy this significant deficiency.

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 05, 2023, 06:39:26 AMLet's have a thread that doesn't devolve into a coach conversation (PLEASE!) or previous years' favorite -- facilities.

Would help if Valpo could have the money to improve the facilities.

Oooooops!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann