• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of "The Shot"

Started by valpopal, March 13, 2023, 09:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Bryce's shot took place 25 years ago today, on March 13, 1998. Remember where you were when watching the game? View Bryce's description of the energy on campus and recall the excitement that once was. It was magical!

covufan

I hope PO gets out to Denver to report on the 25th anniversary of The Shot!  We need for TNT/TBS/CBS and Barkley to get PO as correspondent for the weekend in Denver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Pgmado

Quote from: covufan on March 13, 2023, 10:42:45 AM
I hope PO gets out to Denver to report on the 25th anniversary of The Shot!  We need for TNT/TBS/CBS and Barkley to get PO as correspondent for the weekend in Denver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Victory Bell is credentialed for Denver! I'll be out there this week.

tiny707

I hope COVUfan aka Sweet Moves goes to the Colorado games also and buys Paul a drink. Maybe some Rocky Mountain oysters also.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on March 13, 2023, 12:24:23 PM
I hope COVUfan aka Sweet Moves goes to the Colorado games also and buys Paul a drink. Maybe some Rocky Mountain oysters also.

I'm told this is the best Rocky Mountain Oysters restaurant in Denver.

https://www.buckhorn.com/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo89

I was sitting across from the VU bench in the media section, basically in line with Bryce when he hit the shot.
After the shot, chaos ensued. Lots of writing for The Times.
Listen to PO's podcast from five years ago to learn more. He released it again this morning.

Dr. T

I, too, am excited about the publicity Valpo will likely receive from the 25th anniversary of "The Shot." That said, I'm wondering how the positive publicity Valpo will receive from "The Shot" will be contextualized. Wouldn't it make sense for context-sake that "The Shot" be discussed in leiu of where Valpo is located ... what it's known for ... and where the program is now? If so, will they explain the mascot change? The fact that ML took over after Bryce left and the post-Drew era is one curently in ... shambles? Yikes. I suppose they'll look for a positive spin since this is supposed to be a heartfelt story but .. the Cindarella story isn't currently projecting toward a "Happily ever After" sort of ending ...

JD24

Quote from: Dr. T on March 13, 2023, 02:53:47 PMI, too, am excited about the publicity Valpo will likely receive from the 25th anniversary of "The Shot." That said, I'm wondering how the positive publicity Valpo will receive from "The Shot" will be contextualized. Wouldn't it make sense for context-sake that "The Shot" be discussed in leiu of where Valpo is located ... what it's known for ... and where the program is now? If so, will they explain the mascot change? The fact that ML took over after Bryce left and the post-Drew era is one curently in ... shambles? Yikes. I suppose they'll look for a positive spin since this is supposed to be a heartfelt story but .. the Cindarella story isn't currently projecting toward a "Happily ever After" sort of ending ...
If anything it will be shown as one of the great finishes in the tournament with no further color.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Dr. T on March 13, 2023, 02:53:47 PM
I, too, am excited about the publicity Valpo will likely receive from the 25th anniversary of "The Shot." That said, I'm wondering how the positive publicity Valpo will receive from "The Shot" will be contextualized. Wouldn't it make sense for context-sake that "The Shot" be discussed in leiu of where Valpo is located ... what it's known for ... and where the program is now? If so, will they explain the mascot change? The fact that ML took over after Bryce left and the post-Drew era is one curently in ... shambles? Yikes. I suppose they'll look for a positive spin since this is supposed to be a heartfelt story but .. the Cindarella story isn't currently projecting toward a "Happily ever After" sort of ending ...

I bet you are a blast at parties.

vu72

I'm getting a little bored with all the "woe is me" stuff.  Sure, we have a mess on our hand. Did anybody really think Mark was going to fire Matt on his way out the door?  President Padilla and Dr. Small have just completed their first year watching the Valpo struggles.  So now the sky is falling because they haven't yet pulled the plug? Geez.

Our fall from grace needs to be put into perspective for some of you.  Let me try.  For us, basketball success is getting to the Tournament.  We last did that in 2014-2015, or 8 years ago.  We upgraded conferences in the meantime.  We aren't the worst team in the Valley (but might just be next year :()

So think of teams who have fallen a LOT harder from much high lofts--Like Loyola--from the final four to dead last in their new conference.  Think about Butler who went from the final four to 9th of 11, 10 of 11, 10  of 11 the last three years and not in to top half of the league for the last 6 years!

How about U Conn?  From a national Championship to finishing dead last for the last two years. Or DePaul? Or a zillion other teams.  We suck, I get it, but college basketball teams fall from the pinacle all the time.  Give the current administration just a little time before assuming that we're bound for D3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

beacons23

And all these teams like us have gone to conferences they should not be in
The good news is that obviously we are keeping both women and men coaches on for the foreseeable future so the topic of next head coach can die
On another note - my sister is on the track and cc teams and they just made the interim coach full time.
She speaks highly of him.

VULB#62

Staying positive. WSO = Regular season champs. Baseball seems to be very competitive. T&F and S&D are claiming many more records than I can recall happening in the past. VB is always in there. WT is competitive as is MG.

But all that, always must be compared to the real reason the MVC exists — basketball. We knew that coming in. But we didn't (or refused to) understand it. At least we are in the MVC. Time to suck it up and make some progress.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

I was a little further up in the stands for the shot.  I was 16.

Also heard the woke administration at VU does not want to be referred to as "the shot" as it could create gun violence. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Mick, I gotta believe that (the woke shot thing) is a baseless bull sh[+ piece of  Xtheory. Don't be spreading that crap.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Dr. T

@IndyValpo ...

[I bet you are a blast at parties.]

... I don't go to parties.

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 14, 2023, 07:14:57 AM
It was a joke.  C'mon man

Now I get it. 😀  But for us who can't see you chuckle as you write, throw in a 😉 or something.

VU2014

Love the shot, but it's time for the school and program to make new memories. We've had memories in the Lottich era, but not good ones...

https://twitter.com/joeyteeple/status/1635277149937750017?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

AlaskaCrusader19

David81

No such thing as The Shot being old news or living in the past. It's the greatest single moment in the history of VU sports, part of a Sweet 16 run that captured the nation's attention.

But then again, I'm still breathing in the fumes of the '85 Bears.

Call me a creature of nostalgia.

Valpo89

Interesting Tweet above by Joey Teeple, considering his mother works for VU.