• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MATT LOTTICH HAS BEEN FIRED!

Started by VU2014, March 23, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Wow! Never thought it would happen because of money.

vu72

Now all you guys who thought Small and Padilla wouldn't have the guts or the resources can start focusing on a recipe for crow.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Whatever crow needs to be eaten, I'll partake. Let's see who the new hire ends up being.

johnu1

Lottich always seemed to get the kind of players I liked to watch, but his in-game coaching seemed to fail him way too often. They could have had 4 or 5 more conference wins this year by playing better. That's no title team, but it's not terrible.

hailcrusaders

I take no joy in his dismissal, but no doubt it's the right move. Here's to whoever's next setting this program back on the right trajectory.
#CrusadersForever

AlaskaCrusader19

The best day in Valparaiso basketball since 2016.

may know

No joy in seeing someone fired, but I give immense credit to Padilla/Small for making it work.

GoldenCrusader87

Thank God it's not April 1 or I wouldn't have believed it — way to go Dr. Small & Co.!

Way to provide some hope for this program and in turn a commitment to the future — not only of this program but the institution and community.

valpopal

Ironically, I was attending the new museum director's inaugural formal presentation to the community at the Brauer with my cell phone open to social media awaiting an expected Lottich announcement, which arrived on Twitter halfway through Canning's speech. Introduced by the dean of the library, Canning spoke in front of a wall displaying the three paintings proposed for sale and explained why the artworks were crucial cornerstones of the collection that drew him to the position during his job interview. He declared that he agreed with the national associations that it would be wrong to sell the paintings. Listening to Canning with the Lottich news on the cell phone in my hand made this moment for the university even more dramatic. 

NativeCheesehead

Thank you Matt. Seriously. Wish him all the success in the world.

valpofb16

Must have been a large donor step in. Necessary move for program. Wish Matt and his family well.

usc4valpo

Very important move for Valpo being committed for excellence. Matt will learn from this experience and be better in the long term.

VULB#62

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 23, 2023, 04:57:43 PM
I take no joy in his dismissal, but no doubt it's the right move. Here's to whoever's next setting this program back on the right trajectory.

Here, here. 

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 23, 2023, 06:03:58 PM
Thank you Matt. Seriously. Wish him all the success in the world.

Here, here. Again.

David81

Classy words from Dr. Small: "I would like to sincerely thank Matt Lottich for his contributions to Valpo Athletics during his time leading our men's basketball program," Small said. "Coach Lottich is a man of high character and he has led our team with integrity and class. This was a difficult decision and not one that I took lightly. I wish Matt and his family all the best in their future endeavors."

Plus an appropriate VU Athletics website headline: "Valpo Announces Change in Leadership of Men's Basketball Program"

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21980/valpo-announces-change-in-leadership-of-mens-basketball-program/

mj

I'll echo what others have said. Lottich gave it a good effort but it didn't work out. Hopefully he lands on his feet.

I believe that we will win.

valpofb16

I hope Valparaiso looks at Paul Corsaro from Uindy. Top 10 D2 program, roots in Indy.

Could really help open up a pipeline there (for athletes and non athletes)

usc4valpo

David - I agree, but besides that statement everything else was a template speech for a firing.

VU2014

I'm happily eating crow tonight  :)

Hats off to Dr. Small and President Padilla!

wh

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I can't get excited until I know where the buyout money came from. If a donor or donors with deep pockets stepped up, great. If university funds were cobbled together to make this happen, I will be beside myself. That's all I'm going to say.

usc4valpo

Wh - will we ever know how this decision was made? The good news is that Valpo is committed to make the basketball program better in D1 competition. It would be interesting to understand why the decision took so long after the season was completed, especially with recruiting and the transfer protocol in full swing.

VULB#62

Betcha the timing had to with the process of nailing down the donor(s) to offset the buy-out.

oklahomamick

I agree with WH on the where the money came from. 

Matt was not good at his job and needed to be dismissed just like anyone else. 

Matt is a Stanford guy and will have no problem landing on his feet. 
CRUSADERS!!!

AlaskaCrusader19