• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MATT LOTTICH HAS BEEN FIRED!

Started by VU2014, March 23, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

I would love to see Ben land @ Notre Dame. They have a BIG TIME overhaul that'll be taking place. Given the academic requirements at UND, they cannot fill roster spots with JUCO players. Nor can they fill spots with undergraduate transfers unless they are perhaps rising sophomores with gen eds in place that afford them a clear plan of study whereby they'd be on track to graduate.

Thus, I see UND going with some rentals in the form of grad transfers. Ben would be a perfect fit!

valpo64

I am hoping that when Ben sees who the new Coach is he will remove his name out of the portal and return to Valpo.

VUGrad1314

I really hate to say this because I love Ben and think that he has been an amazing and loyal player for Valpo who has put up with a lot but if him leaving is the result of Lottich being fired I can't say I'm unhappy about it. We can't allow long-term decisions to be made for the sake of one player no matter how great that player may be. That's how we got in this mess in the first place. I think this move is a sign that the new leadership has taken that lesson to heart and is doing what needs to be done. I salute Small and Padilla for their courage during this time and look forward to a great hire who will get us back to respectability and hopefully beyond. It is past time for us to make a good showing in our new home. I take no joy in Matt's firing it's a tough thing for anyone to experience but I'm confident he'll land on his feet and maybe even become a successful head coach somewhere else down the line ala Porter Moser. For the first time in a very long time I am legitimately hopeful for the future of VU basketball but it is absolutely CRITICAL that we get this hire right. Blount is a very interesting name but I hope he's more than just a recruiter. Lottich was billed as a recruiter and we all saw how that turned out. I will trust Small and Padilla's judgment. It seems clear to me that they care about VU's athletic success.

Dr. T

VUGrad1314 - such a solid take! Couldn't say it better myself.

SanityLost17

Over on the MVC board they are trashing Valpo as the "worst coaching job in the league" based mostly on our gym. 

With this coaching change, we are about to find out if that is true or not.      Personally, I think there are LOTS of good basketball players out there.    There is plenty of talent to go around.    Coaching is the hard part.   

Would love to see a list of everybody who applies.   Would tell us a lot on what people nationally think of Valpo.       

Does history of success trump a bad gym as far as talented coaches thinking they can win here.     We are about to learn what we are or what we are not.   

NativeCheesehead

There's a reason I stopped posting on that MVC board. I don't care what they think. We had the worst gym in the Horizon League as well.

The only think that matters is nailing this hire.   

JD24

Quote from: Dr. T on March 24, 2023, 09:02:47 AMI would love to see Ben land @ Notre Dame. They have a BIG TIME overhaul that'll be taking place. 
I think for Ben, a program not in flux would be where I'd like to see him. I mentioned Gonzaga replacing Timme and another mentioned St. Mary's. I can see either and him being successful at both. There aren't a lot of Div I teams who play a style which would most take advantage of Ben's abilities and him changing could end up being a problem for him if the change isn't subtle enough.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2023, 04:51:54 PM
Now all you guys who thought Small and Padilla wouldn't have the guts or the resources can start focusing on a recipe for crow.

I'm really starting to wonder where the money came from. I guess we'll never find out.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: Dr. T on March 24, 2023, 12:36:44 PM
VUGrad1314 - such a solid take! Couldn't say it better myself.

Let me echo your sentiments. Well said, 1314!

VULB#62

But, after a new coach is hired and he and Ben, hopefully, chat, would you be happy if he decided to return?  I would. Cuz the kid will do whatever he is asked to do to win.

Personally, I don't want to see him leave. I want him to spend his last year in a very positive environment — one that Valpo "probably" will provide.  A Valpo 23-24 team can be built on him because he will adapt, sacrifice, and do whatever is necessary to help his team. That, unfortunately unless you are a fantastic athlete, does not always  visibly make for an NBA slot. He is just not selfish enough.

And his type of athlete can be eaten up in the P-5 world of "it's all about me." Why? Because he will not focus on himself at the expense of  teammates.

The thing is he is gonna be a very good European pro because that is how their game is played. 

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2023, 10:31:46 PM
But, after a new coach is hired and he and Ben, hopefully, chat, would you be happy if he decided to return?  I would. Cuz the kid will do whatever he is asked to do to win.

Personally, I don't want to see him leave. I want him to spend his last year in a very positive environment — one that Valpo "probably" will provide.  A Valpo 23-24 team can be built on him because he will adapt, sacrifice, and do whatever is necessary to help his team. That, unfortunately unless you are a fantastic athlete, does not always  visibly make for an NBA slot. He is just not selfish enough.

And his type of athlete can be eaten up in the P-5 world of "it's all about me." Why? Because he will not focus on himself at the expense of  teammates.

The thing is he is gonna be a very good European pro because that is how their game is played. 

Krikke is not a strong rebounder as a power forward, and his 3-point game needs work for the small forward position. If he goes to a P5 school, he'll be lucky if the team allows him to work on his outside game, as those schools tend to have good wings who can shoot from deep all day. But with the right new HC and some talented transfers at VU, he could have a chance to polish his game for the next level.

JD24

Quote from: David81 on March 24, 2023, 11:16:45 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2023, 10:31:46 PMBut, after a new coach is hired and he and Ben, hopefully, chat, would you be happy if he decided to return?  I would. Cuz the kid will do whatever he is asked to do to win. Personally, I don't want to see him leave. I want him to spend his last year in a very positive environment — one that Valpo "probably" will provide.  A Valpo 23-24 team can be built on him because he will adapt, sacrifice, and do whatever is necessary to help his team. That, unfortunately unless you are a fantastic athlete, does not always  visibly make for an NBA slot. He is just not selfish enough. And his type of athlete can be eaten up in the P-5 world of "it's all about me." Why? Because he will not focus on himself at the expense of  teammates. The thing is he is gonna be a very good European pro because that is how their game is played.
Krikke is not a strong rebounder as a power forward, and his 3-point game needs work for the small forward position. If he goes to a P5 school, he'll be lucky if the team allows him to work on his outside game, as those schools tend to have good wings who can shoot from deep all day. But with the right new HC and some talented transfers at VU, he could have a chance to polish his game for the next level.
This is correct. No coach, probably at any level, is going to let Ben or anyone else "work on his game" while that coach is trying to win games. Ben would have to show that he can play a 5 out game quickly or he won't see much playing time with those programs. This why Gonzaga and St. Mary's make sense as they both play the inside out game Ben is a better fit for.

vu72

We'll see if the signee's stay signed.  One of them is Zane Doughty from Ben Davis, the 10th ranked team in the nation.  I watched one of their games and thr announcer described him as the best, back to the basket 5 in the state.  I know nothing about the two kids from Canada other than one was voted one of the top 15 shooters in any class. But then again, they'll be freshman.

Of the current returners, I still have hope for Jerome Palm and you have to love the athleticism of Ibra Bayu.  I also think Max Nelson has some upside.  That leave a LOT of space to fill, from a talent standpoint.  A very big challenge for the new coach.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2023, 09:10:41 AM
We'll see if the signee's stay signed.  One of them is Zane Doughty from Ben Davis, the 10th ranked team in the nation.  I watched one of their games and thr announcer described him as the best, back to the basket 5 in the state.  I know nothing about the two kids from Canada other than one was voted one of the top 15 shooters in any class. But then again, they'll be freshman.

Of the current returners, I still have hope for Jerome Palm and you have to love the athleticism of Ibra Bayu.  I also think Max Nelson has some upside.  That leave a LOT of space to fill, from a talent standpoint.  A very big challenge for the new coach.
Zane Doughty is a solid player. Holding onto him would be really nice for the next staff. He is not, however, the best center in the state lol. Flory Bidunga takes the cake there.

vu72

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 25, 2023, 11:32:18 AM

Zane Doughty is a solid player. Holding onto him would be really nice for the next staff. He is not, however, the best center in the state lol. Flory Bidunga takes the cake there.

The announcer didn't say he was the best center but rather the best "back to the basket" center.  In video I haven't seen him have range beyond 3 feet!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 25, 2023, 11:32:18 AM

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/03/22/indiana-high-school-boys-basketball-all-state-teams-supreme

Supreme 15

Xavier Booker, Cathedral

Markus Burton, Penn

Myles Colvin, Heritage Christian

Zane Doughty, Ben Davis

Joey Hart, Linton-Stockton

Logan Imes, Zionsville

Mason Jones, Valparaiso

A.J. Lux, Crown Point

Sam Orme, Carmel

Ian Raasch, NorthWood

JaQualon Roberts, Bloomington

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)][size=calc(16px + 2 * ((100vw - 320px) / 880))]Sheridan Sharp, Ben Davis[/size][/color]
[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)][/size][size=calc(16px + 2 * ((100vw - 320px) / 880))] Jaron Tibbs, Cathedral[/size][/color]
[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)][/size][size=calc(16px + 2 * ((100vw - 320px) / 880))]Brandon Trilli, Munster[/size][/color]
[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)][/size][size=calc(16px + 2 * ((100vw - 320px) / 880))]Ashton Williamson, Gary 21st Century[/size][/color]

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on March 24, 2023, 07:45:58 PM
I'm really starting to wonder where the money came from. I guess we'll never find out.
Although we may not get specifics, we probably will hear something—considering the current economic situation on campus and issues about faculty compensation, art sales, dorm construction, possible property purchases, ARC renovations, etc.—since there will be a need to clarify about where the money did not come from. For the sake of public relations, let's hope this was a donor who stipulated the spending for this purpose.

When you look at the cost of this coaching change, the total becomes significant. If what has been mentioned on this forum is correct, there is the Lottich buyout estimated at $700,000 plus maybe some compensation for two years of lost medical and pension benefits. The search firm lists its normal fee as 30% of the new coach's first-year salary. Assuming a hike from Lottich's $350,000 to only a modest $400,000, that would mean a fee of $120,000. (Sometimes the firm agrees to a discount flat fee, perhaps $100,000.) Additionally, the assumed $400,000 new salary instead of Lottich's $350,000 adds an extra $100,000 to the sum for the next two years. The new coach would probably expect assistance with real estate matters and moving fees. Moreover, there would need to be expenses related to arrangements hiring new assistant coaches and staff. Not counting other miscellaneous costs, speculation would be an approximate total of $1 million.   

usc4valpo

Crumbs compared to the big picture to keep this program and university sustainable. Valpo made a mistake with the extension, and now they are resolving the mistake. Also, getting into finding an agency and relocation fees is really getting into the noise.

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2023, 02:51:55 PM
Crumbs compared to the big picture to keep this program and university sustainable. Valpo made a mistake with the extension, and now they are resolving the mistake. Also, getting into finding an agency and relocation fees is really getting into the noise.

To Pal's point, realistically this could cost up to a million dollars. I'm just repeating myself, but the university has far more pressing issues right now than replacing an athletic coach and eating the remainder of his contract. Again, I'm glad we're getting a new coach, as long as private donors footed the bill. Otherwise, it's a shortsighted and and irresponsible decision IMHO. And, please remember, I'm saying that as someone who deeply cares about Valpo bb.

usc4valpo

I get it, but keeping  Lottich would have shown  no commitment to succeed in D1 basketball. I also doubt Valpo would throw money like a drunken sailor. Surely there was something settled to make this move.

tjjvalpo

Personally, I think we are overlooking what the revenue that was generated 5 years ago. Average attendance approaching 4000 fans per game at average price of $20 per ticket ($25 for chairback, $15 for bleacher seats) at 15 home games. Then, there used to be about 500 Crusader Club Members that would pay additional $100 per ticket that looks like it had dwindled down to less than 50 this past season. I anm sure that other donations to Athletic Department from Alumni also dwindle. I am sure that Small was able to go back and look at revenue that used to be generated (somewhere between $500,000 to $750,000 per year). So, removing Lottich, regardless of the short term cost was very justifiable.

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 24, 2023, 01:01:16 PM
Over on the MVC board they are trashing Valpo as the "worst coaching job in the league" based mostly on our gym. 

With this coaching change, we are about to find out if that is true or not.      Personally, I think there are LOTS of good basketball players out there.    There is plenty of talent to go around.    Coaching is the hard part.   

Would love to see a list of everybody who applies.   Would tell us a lot on what people nationally think of Valpo.       

Does history of success trump a bad gym as far as talented coaches thinking they can win here.     We are about to learn what we are or what we are not.   
That is truly laughable! Tell Evansville, the true cellar of our league to look at the facilities of Nebraska and their accompanying success. Laughable.

may know

Everyone in the B1G has good facilities. By default, someone with good facilities ends up in the cellar.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2023, 12:24:34 PMFlory Bidunga

Sounds like something you say when exclaming about winning

Now that Matt Lottich is gone I feel like this Jerry Seinfeld quote:

"I can't go to a bad movie by myself. What, am I gonna make sarcastic remarks to strangers?"