• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

08/31 @ Youngstown State

Started by valpofb16, August 24, 2023, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

For the record, USC has never faced an FCS opponent. Maybe an FBS ham and egger, but never an FCS.
I think it's wrong to have FBS- FCS matchups, especially for top ranked teams. Total waste of time and energy.

JD24

Yeah but they just beat a team which lost to a FCS school last year.

valporun

Even the top dogs use these FCS games as ways to get some of the depth chart action early in the season, so they can put some of their "practice squad" work to use in a game to get reps. It equates in the same way as Valpo playing Trinity Christian in non-conference basketball scheduling, a chance to get the depth chart some playing time, even though they know they aren't going to be more than practice squad the rest of the season. The FCS schhools use it to help pay for the non-revenue sports travel needs. It isn't just to destroy the opponent, otherwise the NCAA might have made a rule years ago that FBS schools couldn't contract games with FCS or non-scholarship and NAIA programs.

usc4valpo

You become better when you face better competition and not playing gimmes. Fans don't really want to see this.

valporun

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 10, 2023, 12:34:31 PM
You become better when you face better competition and not playing gimmes. Fans don't really want to see this.

When the fans start to put the pads on, and play the games, let me know, since they'll all want to play the gimmies so the record looks better. The teams play the gimmies to get players some breaks or more playing time for the depth chart in September, so they can be better body prepared for games that matter in conference in November. We played Youngstown St. to help the swim team pay for buses to meets, not so the fans would be happy about who we played and how.

usc4valpo

That may work for D3 but not D1.

David81

I appreciate explanations above about the need to play a money game to bring $$$ into a cash-starved athletics department. And I realize that teams at every level schedule gimme games, which also means that there's an opponent on the receiving end of that rout.

But building a winning program also includes avoiding beat-down losses, because it stinks for morale and there are very few lessons to be learned other than understanding that you were totally outclassed.

VU had to pump itself up to be ready for a team like Youngstown State, and that showed in their first half performance. But obviously Youngstown reckoned at halftime that they weren't going to blow this game, and the second half was what we might've expected with this matchup.

Next game is not a gimme, to be sure, but a winnable one against a team in a lower division. Our emerging star quarterback tosses 5 interceptions and we lose by 2.

So, after being run over by a ranked FCS full scholarship opponent and losing to a beatable NAIA opponent, you're really not sure what kind of a team you have two games into the season, and doubts may be forming. It doesn't mean the season is lost, but it's not a great place to be psychologically.

vu72

Quote from: David81 on September 11, 2023, 09:36:14 AM
I appreciate explanations above about the need to play a money game to bring $$$ into a cash-starved athletics department. And I realize that teams at every level schedule gimme games, which also means that there's an opponent on the receiving end of that rout.

But building a winning program also includes avoiding beat-down losses, because it stinks for morale and there are very few lessons to be learned other than understanding that you were totally outclassed.

VU had to pump itself up to be ready for a team like Youngstown State, and that showed in their first half performance. But obviously Youngstown reckoned at halftime that they weren't going to blow this game, and the second half was what we might've expected with this matchup.

Next game is not a gimme, to be sure, but a winnable one against a team in a lower division. Our emerging star quarterback tosses 5 interceptions and we lose by 2.

So, after being run over by a ranked FCS full scholarship opponent and losing to a beatable NAIA opponent, you're really not sure what kind of a team you have two games into the season, and doubts may be forming. It doesn't mean the season is lost, but it's not a great place to be psychologically.

David, if it makes more sense, consider 2003, the last time we won the PFL Championship and were quarterbacked by Hall of Famer David Macchi. That year, we opened the season playing FCS Murray State--no doubt, for a buy game.  We lost that one 34-0.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

David81

Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2023, 09:54:00 AM
Quote from: David81 on September 11, 2023, 09:36:14 AM

David, if it makes more sense, consider 2003, the last time we won the PFL Championship and were quarterbacked by Hall of Famer David Macchi. That year, we opened the season playing FCS Murray State--no doubt, for a buy game.  We lost that one 34-0.

vu72, I hear you and appreciate that reference to the last league championship season.

I guess I'd feel a little better about that kind of season narrative if our present potential star QB didn't follow the money game with a 5-interception effort and a loss against an NAIA team (even though a strong one).

That said, I'm not giving up on the season. From what guys in-the-know are saying here, there's real talent and potential on this team, and the conference schedule hasn't even started. And there's no reason to think that Appel can't pull it together and build on last season's enormously promising debut.

valpofb16

I still expect Mikey to have a strong season despite the 5 Ints. Was pretty efficient against YSU.

With Fox being a defensive guy, I will bet a lump sum of money the gimmicks and motions we saw against IWU will be scrapped against Marist

soapyjeans

David, I agree.  There is alot of talent on this team.