• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 - (2-3) Morehead State

Started by VULB#62, October 11, 2023, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

I've seen Symmes come out on the sub 5 yard line in empty against IWU, SWMS, Drake, and now Morehead.

At least the play where our LT jumping up and down for a screen diversion was taken out of playbook.

I'm honestly very worried about state of program if Fox steps down.

valpopal

I watched the "press conference" and I was struck by how much Coach Fox in his opening statement is unfortunately beginning to sound like Matt Lottich, except his mantra is that players need to execute the plan. Also, though this is called a "press conference," again it is really only an interview by Paul, who asks all the questions. Bless Paul for doing a fine job and carrying the full load! But the title seems a bit misleading. Even if the local newspapers no longer show interest, couldn't the Torch have a sportswriter there, who follows the team to write a story for the paper and who gains good experience by asking questions as well, at least at home games. This seems like a lost opportunity for a communication student's learning experience. Also, why not have Brandon or whoever is writing the game recap at Valpo Athletics ask a question or two? Try something to add voices so that the gathering truly feels like more than a pretend press conference. 

JD24

Decision to go was stupid. Playcall may have been more stupid.

That said...allowing three nearly consecutive deep throws behind the defense is inexcusable. Not even close enough to the receivers to pull them down and two of them were on what appeared to be simple out and ups.

usc4valpo

I overlooked the comment on the previous response. My apologies.

Dumb play calling at the end.

usc4valpo

pal - they need reporters being being a bit more critical on their performance. It sounds too much like a Bible study.

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 15, 2023, 01:40:28 PM
pal - they need reporters being being a bit more critical on their performance. It sounds too much like a Bible study.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, and when I say respectfully, I truly mean it. Let me explain.

I absolutely, without question, believe that Valparaiso should've kicked the field goal to go up two scores. I was shocked they went for it on fourth down and I made that clear to anyone who was within earshot of me in the press box. I even went up to a former football player who was in the press box and asked him how a playcall like that gets made (Is it the OC who makes the call? Does Landon have veto power? Etc...)

I think if Valpo kicks the field goal there and goes up 17-7, the entire game plays out differently and Valparaiso probably wins. That's what I think.

I asked Landon about the decision in the press conference. It was an obvious question to ask, but still, I was mindful of how I asked it and here is why...Landon Fox is a Division I football coach. I am not. To pretend that I know more about football than Landon would be foolish. This is where the idea of being critical gets complicated. The job of the interviewer, in my opinion, is to 1) gain information 2) tap into someone's thoughts or emotions and 3) seek an expert's opinion. It is not my job to say "Landon, you screwed this one up."

I think all of this gets even further complicated when you consider I'm the only reporter in there most of the time. The student newspaper typically has someone in the pressers, but it was Fall Break this weekend and the students were gone. In a press conference where there are a handful of reporters, you might get the chance to ask two or three questions, and you always have time to think about your questions while other reporters are asking theirs. As the only reporter in there, it's rapid fire. As soon as one answer is given, I'm on to asking the next question.

There have been plenty of things I've disagreed with that Valpo coaches have done over the years. Substitution patterns, style of play, timeout usage etc. I also know they have far more expertise in those matters than I do.

So, when a decision happens that I disagree with, I'll continue to ask the question to gain information, to tap into their emotions and to get an expert's opinion. I probably won't criticize them while I'm at it.

valpofb16

Paul has done a great job giving an FCS level football team the media coverage that is expected throughout other Universities.

I cannot mirror that with other area personnel (why wouldn't they allow multiple student reporters to get experience in a presser setting and can collaborate for the final workpiece?)

I believe the level of frustration at the end of the game was at an all time high with the staff.

I don't agree with Landon's call but I get it. He wanted his struggling football team to go get 3! 3! Yards in 4 plays to WIN a football game. What I don't think he weighed was how much wind would come out the sails coming up short. Nor do I think he weighed how incompetent his OC is

While I disagree with Fox. I despise Symmes handling of the situation. Mann at this point had over 100 yards , a touchdown, and our downhill back. And YET!

We go empty on 3rd down with Jackson on a QB zone (which has not worked out of empty , Appel had Thomas as a lead blocker against SWMSU) and then Mann doesn't go back on field, he brings in Butler and they run a read option (which they fumbled the exact play on first 4th down of game).

That is terrible , I mean terrible coaching

usc4valpo

OK, I respect what you are saying, and respect that Fox is a Div. 1 coach , but in reality a Division1 coach in name only. Valpo is undoubtedly in the weakest Div 1 conference in football, with team existing just for the sake of having a program without much urgency to be successful.

Paul does a phenomenol job BTW on his blog and reporting. I just wish as a whole the discussion was a little more critical and more than just Paul. Hearing that we love football and we are growing is just a bit fluffy.

For a D1 PROGRAM, more reporters need to be present to ask a variety of questions.

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on October 16, 2023, 12:31:39 AM
I think all of this gets even further complicated when you consider I'm the only reporter in there most of the time. The student newspaper typically has someone in the pressers, but it was Fall Break this weekend and the students were gone. In a press conference where there are a handful of reporters, you might get the chance to ask two or three questions, and you always have time to think about your questions while other reporters are asking theirs. As the only reporter in there, it's rapid fire. As soon as one answer is given, I'm on to asking the next question.
I agree, Paul. This is why I mentioned the awkward situation you find yourself as the only one to ask questions, even though you do a fine job. I thought of the fact that it was Fall Break, but you were the only questioner in the previous press conferences as well (plus any student paper of worth would guarantee a reporter at the university football game even during Fall Break), so that didn't seem a legitimate excuse for the lack of at least one student reporter to ask questions. Student sportswriters are missing the learning experience of participating in a press conference.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpopal on October 16, 2023, 10:15:21 AM
I agree, Paul. This is why I mentioned the awkward situation you find yourself as the only one to ask questions, even though you do a fine job. I thought of the fact that it was Fall Break, but you were the only questioner in the previous press conferences as well (plus any student paper of worth would guarantee a reporter at the university football game even during Fall Break), so that didn't seem a legitimate excuse for the lack of at least one student reporter to ask questions. Student sportswriters are missing the learning experience of participating in a press conference.

You're preaching to the choir.

valpofb16

Still just amazed roster does not have some sort of Rhino set where Vickers and Carter or an extra lineman comes in on short yardage. Especially with Manns downhill ability.

It's almost like Symmes has tried to stat pad the QB near the goaline

covufan

I'm going to respectfully disagree, and when I say respectfully, I truly mean it. Let me explain.

I absolutely, without question, believe that Valparaiso should've kicked the field goal to go up two scores. I was shocked they went for it on fourth down and I made that clear to anyone who was within earshot of me in the press box. I even went up to a former football player who was in the press box and asked him how a playcall like that gets made (Is it the OC who makes the call? Does Landon have veto power? Etc...)

I think if Valpo kicks the field goal there and goes up 17-7, the entire game plays out differently and Valparaiso probably wins. That's what I think.

I asked Landon about the decision in the press conference. It was an obvious question to ask, but still, I was mindful of how I asked it and here is why...Landon Fox is a Division I football coach. I am not. To pretend that I know more about football than Landon would be foolish. This is where the idea of being critical gets complicated. The job of the interviewer, in my opinion, is to 1) gain information 2) tap into someone's thoughts or emotions and 3) seek an expert's opinion. It is not my job to say "Landon, you screwed this one up."

There have been plenty of things I've disagreed with that Valpo coaches have done over the years. Substitution patterns, style of play, timeout usage etc. I also know they have far more expertise in those matters than I do.

So, when a decision happens that I disagree with, I'll continue to ask the question to gain information, to tap into their emotions and to get an expert's opinion. I probably won't criticize them while I'm at it.
Well said.

It is why we appreciate all that you do, especially thevictorybell.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 16, 2023, 02:57:27 PM
Still just amazed roster does not have some sort of Rhino set where Vickers and Carter or an extra lineman comes in on short yardage. Especially with Manns downhill ability.

It's almost like Symmes has tried to stat pad the QB near the goaline

I've said it before and fb16 has just echoed it. ELEPHANT! Or Rhino, or Buffalo, or whatever you want to call it — "overwhelm and outnumber at the point of attack for critical short yardage situations."  The odds of success have been overwhelmingly demonstrated over time.  It is a no brainer that even HS coaches understand. 

Oh, but I get it. It's not sophisticated enough for a college team to just line up and push it in without flair