• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Travel Guide

Started by blackpantheruwm, February 22, 2012, 11:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milldew72

Quote from: agibson on February 23, 2012, 09:14:51 AM
Quote from: milldew72 on February 23, 2012, 08:49:26 AMYes. F8 is a brew pub, but again, no food yet. You can buy a pizza or something and bring i to the pub and eat it, but they don't serve food. But the beer is very, very good.

So, for me, this isn't quite the same as a brew pub ;)  It's a brewery with a tasting room that includes some tables.  They also sell some snacks (nuts, etc.), apparently allow you to bring in food, and do a very brisk take-out business (only place in Porter county to buy beer on Sunday!).

I definitely appreciate the local brewing effort.  They make some good stuff.  Most of it's very, very hoppy. I guess that's a popular American style these days.  If it was cheaper in growlers, I'd definitely drink more of it at home.

They're aiming at something more like a brew pub, SW of the courthouse.  Not sure of the schedule.

The pub should open in late March. The current joint is a taproom, as it stands now.

lowposter

Perhaps a forum gathering is in order...

any suggestions?

Lowposter

vuweathernerd

Quote from: lowposter on February 23, 2012, 04:18:46 PM
Perhaps a forum gathering is in order...

any suggestions?

Lowposter

that sounds like a fantastic idea. i'd love the opportunity to meet you guys, if only i wasn't so far away.

MattCarter

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 23, 2012, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: lowposter on February 23, 2012, 04:18:46 PMPerhaps a forum gathering is in order... any suggestions? Lowposter
that sounds like a fantastic idea. i'd love the opportunity to meet you guys, if only i wasn't so far away.
I agree for those of us local and/or coming in for tourney.  For those who can't make it, perhaps someday a skype kinda multi person thing?  Just FYI, These days I am a lot more King Gyros money than Pikk's money  ;D
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

blackpantheruwm

I'm up for a party - say Friday night or Saturday lunch time?

lowposter

blackpanther:

It would be great to meet you and others from around the conference. 

lowposter

blackpantheruwm

StlVUFan

I'm driving up Friday, but I'll be attending the 2nd round games.  I would normally take in our women's game on Saturday, but just try to imagine how easy it would be to talk me out of that ;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 27, 2012, 02:30:50 PM
I'm driving up Friday, but I'll be attending the 2nd round games.  I would normally take in our women's game on Saturday, but just try to imagine how easy it would be to talk me out of that ;)

careful, or there may be a poll started for 'hater of the week' to go with 'poster of the week.' ;)

valporun

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 28, 2012, 04:18:08 PM

careful, or there may be a poll started for 'hater of the week' to go with 'poster of the week.' ;)

That could be grounds for Stl to not be nominated as Poster of the Week....

valpopal

To go with "poster of the week," I believe the official category for "hater of the week" is called "posterior of the week."  ::)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on February 28, 2012, 07:09:02 PM

To go with "poster of the week," I believe the official category for "hater of the week" is called "posterior of the week."  ::)

:clap:

DMvalpo18

This thread has been awesome! People are saying a lot of things I agree with so I don't want to repeat them on restaurants and stuff.

crusaderjoe

If you are going to go as far south as DeMotte, then you need to also go farther west in Lake County and include Teibel's restaurant in Schererville.  This place arguably has the best chicken dinners in the state of Indiana--certainly the best in the Region, IMO. 

http://www.teibels.com/

historyman

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 01, 2012, 07:12:30 AM
If you are going to go as far south as DeMotte, then you need to also go farther west in Lake County and include Teibel's restaurant in Schererville.  This place arguably has the best chicken dinners in the state of Indiana--certainly the best in the Region, IMO. 

http://www.teibels.com/

Did you know that the original owner of Teibel's was a Valpo alum? Martin & Stephen Teibel (not sure which was the Valpo alum) started the restaurant in 1929 about 10 years before Strongbows. I believe the Teibel Family still owns the restaurant today. I don't know of any connection between Tiebel's and VU currently.

Remember the old beacon neon sign which let you know for sure you had reached US 30 and US 41?

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/10133/photo14.html

crusaderjoe

Good stuff historyman.  Had no idea one of the owners was a Valpo alum.  And that sign...classic. For a restaurant, it's a pretty nostalgic "yesteryear" sort of place. 

I think in general they are known for their chicken, but their lake perch isn't that bad either.  Whenever we visited, we usually couldn't choose one or the other, so we just ordered both.

setshot

I did alot of traveling,doth domestic and international,during my corporate career. Never and I mean never did I look forward to dinning in Naptown. The pits. No need to cowtow to our Indy visitors,let them eat Valpo s--t. They are use to it. :(

agibson

MattCarter

Quote from: historyman on March 01, 2012, 07:28:46 AM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 01, 2012, 07:12:30 AMIf you are going to go as far south as DeMotte, then you need to also go farther west in Lake County and include Teibel's restaurant in Schererville.  This place arguably has the best chicken dinners in the state of Indiana--certainly the best in the Region, IMO. http://www.teibels.com/
Did you know that the original owner of Teibel's was a Valpo alum? Martin & Stephen Teibel (not sure which was the Valpo alum) started the restaurant in 1929 about 10 years before Strongbows. I believe the Teibel Family still owns the restaurant today. I don't know of any connection between Tiebel's and VU currently. Remember the old beacon neon sign which let you know for sure you had reached US 30 and US 41? http://www.worldisround.com/articles/10133/photo14.html
If its important to you...or just a neat fact about Tiebels that many don't know.  The awesome chicken they have been known for since forever is supplied from Indiana and has been local poultry for years and years.  The man who owns the poultry business they are supplied by has an extremely good looking nephew.  So really, they've been all over that local/organic kinda craze long before it was cool. 

FWalum

Quote from: MattCarter on March 01, 2012, 10:14:30 AMhas an extremely good looking nephew
That wouldn't be anyone we would know on this board would it??

My father-in-law a "53" alum, God rest his soul, would take us to Teibel's when he would come back from DC for alumni events.  I have fond memories of those meals.   ;D
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Yes, even I want to say screw Indy!!!!!  :o

historyman

Does anyone know what the exact connection is between VU and Teibel's?

MattCarter

Quote from: FWalum on March 01, 2012, 11:08:01 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on March 01, 2012, 10:14:30 AMhas an extremely good looking nephew
That wouldn't be anyone we would know on this board would it??
Why yes.  A very good looking barber type...I think he floats around this board sometimes.  Occasionally he is seen on ESPN yelling at Brad Stevens.  I have very fond memories of making the chicken run with Jack from Remington to Teibels and hanging in the plant

lowposter

I am going to kindly disagree about the best chicken in NW Indiana.

IMHO the best chicken in the area is Harolds Chicken.  It is Chicago legendary.  What is not known is there is a store in Gary.  Buyer beware...I have not been there and have been warned not to go there for safety reasons.

I am simply saying that if the Harolds in Gary is as good as Chicago, then Tiebels should not be crowned King of Chicken without the benefit of a playoff!

Looking forward to a great playoff weekend.

lowposter