• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012-2013 Schedule?

Started by vu84v2, May 21, 2012, 10:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on July 10, 2012, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: valporun on July 10, 2012, 07:23:24 PMMight see a lot of bench time, but it won't be like the Holy Cross (IN) game when the starters maybe played 5 minutes, and then sat the rest of the day.
I will agree that the Holy Cross and IU-Kokomo games of last year will be hard to top (or maybe bottom), but with this years talent I can't say that having Chicago State coming to town is anything but a letdown. I guess I can catch a good high school game that night.

And alas, blackpanther, you see why the ARC is not filled every game. Maybe it's a matter of scheduling.

humbleopinion

Given our collapse at the end of last season, the idea of some of our starters being able to rest a little bit at the beginning of the season could have some advantages.
Beamin' Beacons

vu84v2

I know it is strange playing at 7:00 AM, but overall these gimmicks ESPN has are pretty good promotions for programs.  Nice creative move in what may otherwise be a very unexciting nonconference home schedule.

valpo4life

Possibility of adding a road game at Murray State this season? Would be a fantastic game to get on our schedule.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/blog/711-Bidwells-Blog-Murray-State-schedule-update-162073005.html?blog=y

vu72

Their schedule looks pretty weak to me.  Dayton?  That's the premier game so far.  I would love to have a home and home with the Racers.  It might bode well for adding them to the Horizon which would be a big step up from the Ohio Valley.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

A game at Murray State would be a great matchup.  The only downside would be that it eliminates the possibility of a Valpo-MSU matchup in the BracketBusters.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 11, 2012, 09:36:35 PM
A game at Murray State would be a great matchup.  The only downside would be that it eliminates the possibility of a Valpo-MSU matchup in the BracketBusters.

The story also mentions Murray State is working on scheduling a game with an NAIA opponent.
Prohm expects Bethel to be one of the NAIA games, but we don't know yet which NAIA slot Bethel will fill.

You have to wonder if Homer Drew turned the Racers on to Bethel, one of Homer's former schools, in Mishawaka.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on July 11, 2012, 11:41:47 PMThe story also mentions Murray State is working on scheduling a game with an NAIA opponent.
Prohm expects Bethel to be one of the NAIA games, but we don't know yet which NAIA slot Bethel will fill.

You have to wonder if Homer Drew turned the Racers on to Bethel, one of Homer's former schools, in Mishawaka.

There is a Bethel located in western Tenn. I would bet that is the one being mentioned.

historyman

Most likely you are correct, Indy. That would be Bethel University in McKenzie, TN, 40 miles southwest of Murray, KY. They are in the NAIA's TranSouth Conference along with Blue Mountain College of Blue Mountain, MS, Freed-Hardeman University of Henderson, TN, Martin Methodist College of Pulaski, TN and Mid-Continent University of Mayfield, KY. It's currently only a five school conference. It's not Bethel College of Mishawaka, IN, who just happens to be an NAIA school also. I can see where it would be confusing though.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Here, FYI, is a link to recent Paul Oren thoughts on the upcoming schedule.  He presents them as "What we know," "What we think we know," and "What I'd like to see."

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/notes-on-valparaiso-men-s-basketball---schedule/article_0e28824a-caa4-11e1-b1a1-0019bb2963f4.html

VU75

Interesting that Oren mentions Penn State.  I know the basketball program was not part of the problem but I just would rather not have them on the schedule. 

VULB#62

Me too.  The FB coverup scandal infested the entire university and, unfortunately, the innocent will be judged by association with an athletic and university administration that demonstrated a total lack of integrity.   :(

LaPorteAveApostle

Paul Oren makes no mention--in fact seems to exclude--the idea of a "Nebraska Tournament" that was mentioned earlier (and I doubted).  The link is still up, but its source is now removed. 

If there were anything to it, he'd have mentioned it for one, but for strikes 2 and 3, we would not be bringing the same UNO team here just to potentially play them again.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not happy about being right because the difference in the quality of opponents is staggering. :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vusupporter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 16, 2012, 12:34:21 PM
Paul Oren makes no mention--in fact seems to exclude--the idea of a "Nebraska Tournament" that was mentioned earlier (and I doubted).  The link is still up, but its source is now removed. 

If there were anything to it, he'd have mentioned it for one, but for strikes 2 and 3, we would not be bringing the same UNO team here just to potentially play them again.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not happy about being right because the difference in the quality of opponents is staggering. :/

Huh?  The second bullet under What We Know:

* The Crusaders will host a two-day Thanksgiving tournament on Nov. 23 and 24 that will feature Nebraska-Omaha, Bethune-Cookman and Chicago State. Valparaiso will play Chicago State on Nov. 23 and then play presumably the winner of UNO and Bethune-Cookman on the 24th. This is per a release on UNO's website. The University of Nebraska has yet to release its schedule, but it's expected that this "tournament" will give the Crusaders a game at Nebraska earlier in the year, similar to playing Kansas last season.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yes, but originally this tournament was described as, and so thought to have been, a round-robin, and a chance to play Kent State, Tulane, etc., and everyone was talking about "a winnable tournament", what a great "resume builder", and now we're playing these guys with a chance (?) to play Nebraska(-Lincoln)?  Quite the let-down.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

I assumed that Paul was talking about a chance to play Nebraska-Lincoln.  I don't remember the Kansas deal, but surely Nebraska-Omaha's not similar to Kansas.

Somehow a game at the real Nebraska as part of the "tournament" and then hosting these lesser teams?

LaPorteAveApostle

That would be a start.  But to go from Neb-Lincoln, which we thought was definite, to Neb-Omaha, which appears definite, is a downer.  Better both than neither, I suppose.

Paul, if you're on here, try telling the Times to fix your blog so that the entries actually appear.  The only way I've found around it is clicking the RSS feed button.

SadersofthelostArc

Not sure why you're having so much trouble understanding.  The UNO game is confirmed.  The Nebraska (Lincoln) game is very likely going to happen prior to the home tournament.  It's all part of the same event.

Pgmado

Playing (Big Ten) Nebraska this year on the road and then hosting a four-team tourney at home is similar to playing Arizona last year on the road and then hosting the round-robin on campus. That is what I mean and I instead typed Kansas. Valpo played Kansas and Ohio on the road two years ago as part of the Vegas tourney leadup and then played lesser teams in Vegas.

vuweathernerd

per andy katz on espn.com. if true, that's a pretty solid non-con stretch, even if they are almost all on the road.

3. Valparaiso should be picked over Detroit for the Horizon League title now that Butler is out. Valparaiso won the regular season a year ago but lost to Detroit at home by 20 in the conference tournament title game. Crusaders coach Bryce Drew is attempting to enhance the nonconference schedule in the oft-chance the Crusaders can't win the conference/tournament. Drew said he has scheduled games against Nebraska, New Mexico, Murray State, Kent State, Missouri State and Oakland. The games against Murray and UNM are quality RPI games and both will return in 2013. Drew is still trying to get Pitt to agree to a game. Drew would also like to get a home-and-home series with the return game being at the United Center in Chicago in his attempt to be creative for a strong series. Meanwhile, the Crusaders will be more formidable if Cal transfer 6-6 Alex Rossi gets a waiver to play immediately. Rossi, who played sparingly at Cal in three games, came home for family reasons. The Crusaders are already adding 6-1 South Florida transfer LaVonte Dority at semester. Dority played in nine games last season, playing 15 minutes a game.
[\quote]

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61309/3-point-shot-we-have-to-send-our-pros

sectionee

The non conference schedule doesn't look too bad...especially if we land Pitt. Sounds like some good names coming to the ARC in the fall of 2013!

SadersofthelostArc

So, if all of our info so far is correct, our non-conference schedule includes:

Northern Illinois
Nebraska
Nebraska-Omaha/Bethune-Cookman
Chicago State
IUPUI
Oakland
New Mexico
Murray State
Kent State
Missouri State

With the possibilities of adding:
Pitt
IPFW
Probably a garbage team or two

That is a very nice non-conference schedule that becomes a fantastic (by past VU standards) schedule if Pitt or another high-major is added.  There is no reason we can't win the vast majority of those games and put ourselves in at-large contention.

bbtds

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 19, 2012, 09:01:44 AMNebraska-Ohama/Bethune-Cookman
Chicago State

I once suggested Chicago Obama but I really don't think Nebraska would actually go for Nebraska-Ohama. Is he the mayor of Omaha from Hawaii?

Mayor Ohama from Omaha by way of Hawaii once home of Obama!

valpo4life

Another possible game that I haven't seen mentioned would be a return game from playing at Georgia Southern last season. I highly doubt we agreed at one game on the road there, my guess is that we will see them at the ARC this season.