• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012/13 schedule

Started by valpospartan, August 17, 2012, 05:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on August 24, 2012, 08:01:36 PM
Rick Majerus Will Not Coach St. Louis This Year

"Rick Majerus, 64, will not coach the Saint Louis men's basketball team this season because of heart issues, team spokesman Brian Kunderman told USA TODAY Sports Friday evening...."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/08/rick-majerus-will-not-coach-saint-louis-this-season/1#.UDgjOUQ-WeQ

Sorry we will miss Majerus, but I wish him the best of health.

indeed. this is a huge loss for slu, and he has done a great job turning that team around. hopefully he has a speedy recovery and is around to make the trip to valpo next year.

vu72

I respect Majerus a great deal but he is a heart attack waiting to happen.  Unfortunately, given his heart condition, stomach stapling is out of the question.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

The associate head coach at SLU is Jim Whitesell, former head coach at Loyola and the assistant coach is Jim Crews, former head coach at Evansville, who is taking over the interim head coach position, which is somewhat interesting. So the Billikens are not in too bad of shape coaching wise.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

At what venue will the St Louis game be played?  We'll try to attend but didn't know if they play at a campus arena.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on August 27, 2012, 12:32:11 PM
At what venue will the St Louis game be played?  We'll try to attend but didn't know if they play at a campus arena.
Most likely Chaifetz Arena, which I think is on campus, but it is big-time in terms of size, lots of bells and whistles.

A couple of pictures can be found here: http://www.midmajority.com/p/2513 (I went to see SLU vs. Duquesne last year)

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on Today 12:32:11 PM

Saint Louis University plays at a new on campus facility built in 2008 called Chaifetz Arena. (Shayfets)http://thechaifetzarena.com/

Parking

There are covered and uncovered parking areas surrounding Chaifetz Arena.  Please consult the map on the bottom to determine the best parking lot to park upon your arrival.  For more information about parking, please click here http://www.slu.edu/x27123.xml

Handicap Parking
is available in the Olive/Compton Garage. 

Designated drop-off / pick-up area is located on Compton Ave. moving south, which is located on the east side of Chaifetz Arena. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

i like chaiffetz. it's modern, but not ridiculously so. instead of a large jumbotron, it has video screens/scoreboards in each corner of the building, so you can always see one of them.

valpo64

Historyman and vuweathernerd...you guys are the best...thanks for the info...hopefully there will a decent number of VU fans at the game to watch a Valpo win

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on August 27, 2012, 04:56:43 PM
Historyman and vuweathernerd...you guys are the best...thanks for the info...hopefully there will a decent number of VU fans at the game to watch a Valpo win
I will definitely be there, of course ;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on August 27, 2012, 05:17:07 PM
I will definitely be there, of course ;)

i'd love to be there too, but it seems that the game will be about two weeks before i come home in december.

talksalot

any one heard about a tip-time for this game? 

historyman

I was looking around for something on the start time of the game and have come to realize Saint Louis U. has not even given out the date to their fan base.

I did find this picture of the SLU team which Valpo plays on December 2. This picture was taken after it was announced that Rick Majerus is in a hospital in California and is most likely fighting for his life and the rumor is he is waiting for a heart transplant.

http://instagram.com/p/O4m8jthOxc/

Also a reminder to the VU volleyball team which plays at Saint Louis U on Friday. This is only the second home match for the Billikens volleyball team since they lost one of their graduated players in a homicide in the Central West End neighborhood of St Louis. Megan Boken graduated from SLU in 2011 and lived in Wheaton, IL (I'm sure many of you have seen this on the news in the Chicago area). She was in St.Louis for an alumni volleyball match and job interview. She was shot and killed after a robbery attempt while sitting in her car in the middle of the afternoon while speaking to her mother on the phone. Apparently she fought with her killer and had been struck and then the murderer shot her while fleeing the scene. Two suspects were caught when a cell phone that was stolen in early August was used to call one of the suspects' girlfriend for several phone calls and when questioned the girlfriend gave him up.

historyman

Update to schedule:

Valpo at Kent State / Sunday, Nov.18 / 1:00 p.m. CST / 2:00 p.m. EST

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/schedule

(Bears play Monday night, Nov.19)

valporun

ESPN just released their Top 25 to start the 2012-2013 season. I looked at it to see what, if any, teams on the list we play this season. In terms of the Top 25, we don't play anyone, but we have three teams in the list of "Receiving Votes" in Murray St., New Mexico, and Saint Louis. It would be nice to see any of these teams in the Top 25, as it would help our SOS even more. Can't wait for the season to get underway! Anyone in Indiana real excited to see IU in the top spot, now that they are back in winning basketball relevance again? Any other surprises in the  Top 25 or the "other receiving votes" list I'd love to discuss more, but I'll start a different thread about that in the Sports Talk thread.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on October 17, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
ESPN just released their Top 25 to start the 2012-2013 season. I looked at it to see what, if any, teams on the list we play this season. In terms of the Top 25, we don't play anyone, but we have three teams in the list of "Receiving Votes" in Murray St., New Mexico, and Saint Louis. It would be nice to see any of these teams in the Top 25, as it would help our SOS even more. Can't wait for the season to get underway! Anyone in Indiana real excited to see IU in the top spot, now that they are back in winning basketball relevance again? Any other surprises in the  Top 25 or the "other receiving votes" list I'd love to discuss more, but I'll start a different thread about that in the Sports Talk thread.

So the Mighty A-10 doesn't have any teams?  Their pre-season favorite (St. Louis) at least got some votes  ;)

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2012, 01:50:55 PM
So the Mighty A-10 doesn't have any teams?  Their pre-season favorite (St. Louis) at least got some votes  ;)

Very disappointing for Valpo that none of their "marquee" opponents are in the top 25, although that could change by the time the games take place.  It would be beneficial for Valpo if SLU could sneak into the top 25 (they were 26 in the first poll) by the time they play, because they will certainly be vulnerable since they'll likely still be missing their leading returning scorer.  A top 25 win would be great for national recognition and would end Valpo's lengthy losing streak against ranked teams. 

Paul Oren pointed out on twitter that New Mexico and Murray State could also climb into the top 25 by the time Valpo plays them, which would obviously be good for Valpo and their NCAA at-large hopes.

I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but Valpo got some national publicity on an ESPN podcast featuring Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg.  It's sort of long, so skip ahead to the last few minutes for the Valpo discussion.  http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8508873

valporun

Eddie, I did hear that podcast the other day. Andy Katz and former Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg both like what Bryce and staff have done at Valpo, as they were both previewing the season, doing some jumping around of smaller conferences before they both went to media days for the ACC and Big East. I hope that one of the three marquee teams is ranked by the time we play them, even if they are only between 22 and 25, instead of #1.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 18, 2012, 08:12:15 AM
I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but Valpo got some national publicity on an ESPN podcast featuring Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg.  It's sort of long, so skip ahead to the last few minutes for the Valpo discussion.  http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8508873

Thanks for sharing, Eddie.  Very interesting to listen to what 2 national guys have to say about Valpo. 

...For those who are interested, the Valpo comments are at about the 59-minute mark.

...Katz mentions that the question about Valpo came from Bill Potter.  Potter is Director of Communications for the Horizon League.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on October 18, 2012, 08:39:37 AM
Eddie, I did hear that podcast the other day. Andy Katz and former Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg both like what Bryce and staff have done at Valpo, as they were both previewing the season, doing some jumping around of smaller conferences before they both went to media days for the ACC and Big East. I hope that one of the three marquee teams is ranked by the time we play them, even if they are only between 22 and 25, instead of #1.
Just listened.  My only reaction is unfortunately a snarky one.  I'm sure Bill Potter means well, but his twitter question was tantamount to begging for scraps, which came with numerous caveats attached.  It's not a good listen when I find myself agreeing with both Katz and Greenberg: instead of begging for a few measly minutes at the tail end of an hour long podcast, I'd rather just ambush everybody on the basketball court.  To hell with ESPN and the Sportz Bubble.

Sorry, hard for me to appreciate this kind of "national attention".  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I dunno.  But that's the visceral reaction it gave me.  I was actually hoping they had decided to talk about Valpo spontaneously, instead of an HL media person having to drag it out of them.

valpospartan

I agree with you, Stl.  I didn't think that it was good 'pub' for VU.

VULB#62

USAToday has picked five sleeper teams for 2012-13.  We're not one of them, but we play two of them:  St. Louis and Murray State.

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/sports/ncaab/2012/10/21/5-sleeper-teams-in-college-basketball/1647503/

The other three: VCU, Drexel and Illinois State

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

Glad to be focusing on hoops. Actually glad to be able to focus on anything...
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72