• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012/13 schedule

Started by valpospartan, August 17, 2012, 05:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Here's hoping that the final schedule is announced BEFORE the first game - just sayin.

MattCarter

Quote from: valpospartan on August 17, 2012, 05:26:31 PMHere's hoping that the final schedule is announced BEFORE the first game - just sayin.
I know, right?  I was hoping to make one of the non conference away games, but I need a while to plan that kinda thing.  Give up the schedule already lol  :o
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

wh

Someone in the ticket office said the reason for the hold-up is difficulty putting the conf schedule together (Butler departure).

LaPorteAveApostle

That's ridiculous.  I don't have a problem with the HL forcing Butler's hand, but to not have a contingency plan in place is pretty sad.  (And it's not as though they're reinventing the wheel since they were a 9-team conf. not so long ago...) Of course, maybe they want to finish planning that lost press conference before they get to scheduling...

Meanwhile we're cobbling together bits and scraps from all corners of the Intertubes...sigh.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vusupporter

The last four years, the earliest the schedule has been released is August 18 - just saying...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on August 18, 2012, 09:28:09 AMThe last four years, the earliest the schedule has been released is August 18 - just saying...

You could flash-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

The Horizon League will release the schedule for all teams tomorrow (Thursday), plus I hear some Horizon League television commitment announcements, and the entire VU schedule should be out soon afterward.

valpospartan

I hear that the VU ticket brochures are at the printer.

vufan75

The HL announced the schedule today. From the HL website, the conference schedule is as follows.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-announces-mens-basketball-conference-schedule.html

Horizon League Announces Men's Basketball Conference Schedule  release  Bill Potter · August 23, 2012

Horizon League Men's Basketball Conference Schedule Release

INDIANAPOLIS -- The race for the Horizon League men's basketball title will begin on January 2, 2013 as the League announced its conference men's basketball schedule on Thursday. Each of the nine Horizon League teams will play the others twice - for a total of 16 conference games - over a nine-week span culminating on March 2.

Among the highlights of the schedule is the rematch of the Horizon League Championship between Detroit and Valparaiso on Sat., Feb. 16. As part of 'Rivalry Week,' ESPN2 will carry the game, in which tournament MVP Ray McCallum leads the Titans to the ARC to take on defending League Player of the Year Ryan Broekhoff and Valparaiso. The Titans took home their first League title since 1999, 70-50, last March 6.

ESPN has confirmed that Sat., Feb. 9 will feature either Valparaiso at Cleveland State or Detroit at Green Bay on ESPN2, with the time to be determined.

Key matchups loom throughout the schedule, including the opening weekend, when Valparaiso hosts Cleveland State on Fri., Jan. 4. The next day, Detroit will host Green Bay in the first of eight Horizon League Games of the Week, which air at 2 p.m. EST.

Among other highly anticipated matchups, Detroit will head to Youngstown State (Jan. 10) and Cleveland State (Jan. 12), while the following week will see Green Bay hosting the Penguins (Jan. 17) and Vikings (Jan. 19). Valparaiso's trip to Calihan Hall will occur on Thurs., Jan. 17.

Rivals will square off on the final weekend of January, with Green Bay traveling to Milwaukee (Jan. 25) and Youngstown State taking on Cleveland State (Jan. 26) in another Game of the Week.

Sat., Feb. 16 will see the intra-city rivalry between Loyola and UIC, with the Ramblers celebrating the 50th anniversary of its national championship team.

All nine Horizon League teams will be participating in the Sears BracketBusters before the final week of the year pits Youngstown State at Valparaiso (Feb. 26) before the Crusaders and Green Bay help close the regular season on March 2, along with Youngstown State at Wright State in the Game of the Week.

The Horizon League Tournament will begin on Tues., March 5, with three first-round games. The winners, along with the No. 3 seed, will be in action on Fri., March 9, with semifinals set for the following day. ESPNU will carry both semifinals, at 8:30 and 10:30 p.m. ET. The Horizon League Championship will air on Tues., March 12, at 9 p.m. ET, on ESPN or ESPN2.

As part of their long-term partnership, the Horizon League and ESPN are finalizing national television selections for the coming season. An announcement regarding the full slate of Horizon League-ESPN telecasts should be released in the coming month.

All five First Team All-Horizon League players – Broekhoff, McCallum, Kevin Van Wijk (Valparaiso), Alec Brown (Green Bay) and Kendrick Perry (Youngstown State) – return in 2012-13.

Last year, the Horizon League sent a conference-record five teams into postseason play. Over the last 11 seasons, the League's NCAA Tournament winning percentage is the best among all non-Power 6 conferences.

The composite League schedule follows.

Wednesday, Jan. 2
Youngstown State at UIC
Loyola at Valparaiso

Thursday, Jan. 3
Green Bay at Wright State
Milwaukee at Detroit

Friday, Jan. 4
Cleveland State at Valparaiso

Saturday, Jan. 5
Youngstown State at Loyola
Green Bay at Detroit
Milwaukee at Wright State

Monday, Jan. 7
UIC at Cleveland State

Wednesday, Jan. 9
Cleveland State at Wright State
Loyola at Green Bay
Valparaiso at UIC

Thursday, Jan. 10
Detroit at Youngstown State

Friday, Jan. 11
Wright State at Loyola

Saturday, Jan. 12
Detroit at Cleveland State
UIC at Green Bay
Valparaiso at Milwaukee

Wednesday, Jan. 16
Loyola at UIC

Thursday, Jan. 17
Valparaiso at Detroit
Cleveland State at Milwaukee
Youngstown State at Green Bay

Saturday, Jan. 19
Cleveland State at Green Bay
Youngstown State at Milwaukee
Wright State at Valparaiso
UIC at Detroit

Monday, Jan. 21
Wright State at Detroit

Wednesday, Jan. 23
Loyola at Cleveland State
Wright State at Youngstown State
Green Bay at Valparaiso
Milwaukee at UIC

Friday, Jan. 25
Green Bay at Milwaukee

Saturday, Jan. 26
Cleveland State at Youngstown State
Detroit at Loyola
UIC at Wright State

Wednesday, Jan. 30
Valparaiso at Youngstown State
Milwaukee at Loyola
Detroit at Wright State

Thursday, Jan. 31
Green Bay at UIC

Friday, Feb. 1
Youngstown State at Detroit
Milwaukee at Valparaiso

Saturday, Feb. 2
Cleveland State at UIC
Green Bay at Loyola

Monday, Feb. 4
Loyola at Wright State

Tuesday, Feb. 5
Youngstown State at Cleveland State
UIC at Valparaiso

Thursday, Feb. 7
Loyola at Youngstown State
Wright State at Green Bay
Detroit at Milwaukee

Saturday, Feb. 9
Valparaiso at Cleveland State
Detroit at Green Bay
Wright State at Milwaukee

Sunday, Feb. 10
UIC at Youngstown State

Tuesday, Feb. 12
Cleveland State at Detroit
Loyola at Milwaukee
Valparaiso at Wright State

Friday, Feb. 15
Green Bay at Cleveland State
Milwaukee at Youngstown State

Saturday, Feb. 16
Detroit at Valparaiso
UIC at Loyola

Sunday, Feb. 17
Milwaukee at Cleveland State
Green Bay at Youngstown State

Tuesday, Feb. 19
Valparaiso at Loyola

Wednesday, Feb. 20
Wright State at Cleveland State
UIC at Milwaukee

Friday-Sunday, Feb. 22-24 - Sears BracketBusters
Home: Loyola, UIC, Valparaiso, Wright State,   Youngstown State
Road: Cleveland State, Detroit, Green Bay, Milwaukee

Tuesday, Feb. 26
Youngstown State at Valparaiso
Milwaukee at Green Bay
Loyola at Detroit
Wright State at UIC

Friday, March 1
Cleveland State at Loyola

Saturday, March 2
Youngstown State at Wright State
Detroit at UIC
Valparaiso at Green Bay

Tuesday, March 5
Horizon League Tournament 1st Round:
Game 1 - No. 9 seed at No. 4 seed
Game 2 - No. 8 seed at No. 5 seed
Game 3 - No. 7 seed at No. 6 seed

Friday, March 8
Horizon League Tournament 2nd Round:
Game 4 - Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner
Game 5 - No. 3 seed vs. Game 3 winner

Saturday, March 9
Horizon League Tournament Semifinals:
Game 6 - Game 5 winner vs. No. 2 seed
Game 7 - Game 4 winner at No. 1 seed

Tuesday, March 12
Horizon League Championship
Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7

2013 Horizon League Game of the Week
Jan. 5 -Green Bay at Detroit,2 p.m.
Jan. 12- Valparaiso at Milwaukee,2 p.m.
Jan. 19 - UIC at Detroit OR Cleveland State at Green Bay,2 p.m.
Jan. 26 -Cleveland State at Youngstown State,2 p.m.
Feb. 2 -Green Bay at Loyola,2 p.m.
Feb. 9- Valparaiso at Cleveland State OR Detroit at Green Bay,2 p.m.
Feb. 16- UIC at Loyola,2 p.m.
March 2 -Youngstown State at Wright State,2 p.m.

VULB#62

Interesting to note (as of 2:31PM, 8/23) that while the VU MBB schedule web page now includes the newly released HL schedule, with the exception of the NIU game on 11/13, there are no non-conference games listed for November or December yet.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 23, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
Interesting to note (as of 2:31PM, 8/23) that while the VU MBB schedule web page now includes the newly released HL schedule, with the exception of the NIU game on 11/13, there are no non-conference games listed for November or December yet.

Some November games are now listed (NIU, Nebraska, Kent State, Chicago State, Bethune-Cookman/Nebraska-Omaha), but none of the December games appear. However, according to Murray State's schedule, Valpo plays there on December 29.

vubballfan10

I believe this is what we currently have for the Valpo Schedule

Fri 11/9      vs. Georgia Southern
Tues 11/13 vs. Northern Illinois
Thu 11/15   @ Nebraska
Sun 11/18   @ Kent State   
Fri 11/23   vs. Chicago State   
Sat 11/24   vs. UNO/Bethune-Cookman   
Sat 12/8   @ New Mexico   
Sat 12/15   @ Missouri State   
Sat 12/29   @ Murray State   
Wed 1/2   vs. Loyola   
Fri 1/4   vs. Cleveland State   
Wed 1/9   @ UIC   
Sat 1/12   @ Milwaukee   
Thu 1/17   @ Detroit   
Sat 1/19   vs. Wright State   
Wed 1/23   vs. Green Bay   
Wed 1/30   @ Youngstown State   
Fri 2/1   vs. Milwaukee   
Tue 2/5   vs. UIC   
Sat 2/9   @ Cleveland State   
Tue 2/12   @ Wright State   
Sat 2/16   vs. Detroit   
Tue 2/19   @ Loyola   
Sat 2/23   vs. Bracket Busters
Tue 2/26   vs. Youngstown State   
Sat 3/2   @ Green Bay   

Games TBA:
vs. IPFW, vs. IUPUI
@ Saint Louis, @ Oakland

justducky

Add IPFW on wed the 5th of Dec. I see on their schedule that they play N.D. on mon Dec 17th and that is a game I wish that we had
instead (almost a home game).

That leaves us away at Oakland and SLU and home with IUPUI and maybe one more yet unknown opponent. That would be 4 games and 2 useable weekends, which means that about the best we could hope for would be one weekend home game in the month of December and just as likely none at all. This might also mean that we have no travel linkage between any of our non-conference road opponents at all. Wow! I certainly hope that I am wrong on both of those points.

vubballfan10

Quote from: justducky on August 23, 2012, 11:53:46 PMAdd IPFW on wed the 5th of Dec. I see on their schedule that they play N.D. on mon Dec 17th and that is a game I wish that we had instead (almost a home game). That leaves us away at Oakland and SLU and home with IUPUI and maybe one more yet unknown opponent. That would be 4 games and 2 useable weekends, which means that about the best we could hope for would be one weekend home game in the month of December and just as likely none at all. This might also mean that we have no travel linkage between any of our non-conference road opponents at all. Wow! I certainly hope that I am wrong on both of those points.

After the Saturday game with Missouri state, they could play Saint Louis early the following week for a 2-game roadtrip.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vubballfan10 on August 24, 2012, 06:38:22 AM
Quote from: justducky on August 23, 2012, 11:53:46 PMAdd IPFW on wed the 5th of Dec. I see on their schedule that they play N.D. on mon Dec 17th and that is a game I wish that we had instead (almost a home game). That leaves us away at Oakland and SLU and home with IUPUI and maybe one more yet unknown opponent. That would be 4 games and 2 useable weekends, which means that about the best we could hope for would be one weekend home game in the month of December and just as likely none at all. This might also mean that we have no travel linkage between any of our non-conference road opponents at all. Wow! I certainly hope that I am wrong on both of those points.

After the Saturday game with Missouri state, they could play Saint Louis early the following week for a 2-game roadtrip.

i'd like to see it happen then, but that week you're talking about is finals week, so that won't happen.

valpopal

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 24, 2012, 07:05:42 AM

i'd like to see it happen then, but that week you're talking about is finals week, so that won't happen.

Finals week for St. Louis? The week after the 12/15 Missouri State game is not finals week for Valpo. The finals are 12/10-12/14.

vu84v2

While this is not the Valparaiso program's fault, the conference schedule has just made a bad home schedule even worse.  There are two games at home prior to the end of Christmas break that will clearly have few if any students.  One of those is one of the best conference games against Cleveland State.

My hope is that the program is doing something about this by getting one reasonably good home game in November or December while school is in session...and that that is the reason why the schedule has been delayed in being released.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on August 24, 2012, 07:42:27 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 24, 2012, 07:05:42 AM

Finals week for St. Louis? The week after the 12/15 Missouri State game is not finals week for Valpo. The finals are 12/10-12/14.

i was thinking it was valpo's finals week. finals are apparently a week earlier this fall than they've been in the last several years. but i stand corrected.

justducky

Wow! What a schedule!

I think I need a drink, anybody care to join me?

wh

No question the home schedule is nothing to write home about, but next year's should be the best in Crusader history.

vubballfan10

Full official schedule has been released!
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/

One game we did not previously know about was a home game against D-2 Purdue Calumet.  There are two weeks in which the Crusaders play 3 games, one being the week before Thanksgiving week and the other the week before Christmas. 

All but four games on the schedule already had confirmed dates before today's release, so none of this is huge news.

vubballfan10

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/11924/valpo-mens-basketball-releases-full-schedule-season-tickets-available/

Interestingly enough, the article refers to the games @ New Mexico, @ Missouri State, and @ Oakland as a three game road trip even though Final Exams are in between the first two games and the players will thus be returning to campus in between the New Mexico and Missouri State Games.

crusaderjoe

When I attend mass this Sunday I plan on giving thanks for a few things, one of which will be that I'm not a season ticket holder.  That non conference home schedule is brutal.

The rationale and resultant benefit of scheduling a non D-I school like PUC, PNC or IUN et. al. is what again?  Is a game like this really going to get us ready for Detroit?

Quote from: wh on August 24, 2012, 02:43:52 PM
No question the home schedule is nothing to write home about, but next year's should be the best in Crusader history.

I really hope all of these return home games that fans are counting on actually "keep" and come to fruition and don't evaporate a la NC State.  The local fans, particularly the season ticket holders, deserve this much.

wh

Crusaders set high goals with difficult schedule
By Paul Oren Times Correspondent
Friday, August 24, 2012 5:01 pm

If the 2012-13 schedule is any indication, the Valparaiso men's basketball team isn't planning on laying down for anyone this season.

Gone are games against powerhouse programs such as Ohio State and North Carolina, replaced by tough, but manageable games at Top-30 RPI teams like St. Louis, New Mexico and Murray State.

Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew announced the schedule on Friday afternoon; one day after the Horizon League announced a revamped conference schedule that eliminates travel partners and spreads games throughout the week.

"Being in such a competitive conference, we want a lot of preseason games to get us ready," Drew said. "We tried to schedule teams that would help us get ready for the Horizon League."

The Crusaders have played a top-10 program in each of the last ten years, rarely coming close to a victory. In an effort to improve the at-large profile should Valparaiso lose in the Horizon League tournament again, Drew scheduled teams that would be classified as "good wins" on the postseason resume.

Drew's senior-laden squad will travel to St. Louis on Dec. 2nd and New Mexico on Dec. 8th. South Florida transfer Lavonte Dority is expected to gain eligibility for the Dec. 15th game at Missouri State and will be on the floor for arguably the toughest non-conference game, a Dec. 29th tilt at Murray State. The Racers started the year 23-0 last season and finished 31-2, including a win over Colorado State in the NCAA tournament.

"A lot of those arenas are places that teams don't want to go play," Drew said. "For us it's hard to get home games, so we'll go to those three places this year and we're really excited to have them coming back to the ARC next season."

The 2012-13 home schedule is highlighted by conference games against Cleveland State (Jan. 4) and Detroit (Feb. 16). Non-conference home games include tilts against in-state rivals IPFW (Dec. 5) and IUPUI (Dec. 20). The Crusaders will host a pod of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic during Thanksgiving weekend and will play Chicago State and then either Bethune-Cookman or Nebraska-Omaha. Valparaiso will travel to Nebraska on Nov. 15 and play at Kent State on Nov. 18 as part of the event.

"We love our fans and we love playing at home," Drew said. "We wanted to find teams that were willing to come back and play in front of our fans."

The Crusaders will play on ESPN at least twice this season, hosting games against Northern Illinois on Nov. 13th and Detroit on Feb. 16th. The Horizon League will release a complete television schedule next month and it's expected that Valparaiso will be heavily featured in the Horizon League Game of the Week. There is also a possibility that the Crusaders could be selected for an ESPN game as part of the Sears Bracketbuster. Valparaiso's game has been on televised in each of the last two years and three of the last five seasons.

valpopal

Rick Majerus Will Not Coach St. Louis This Year

"Rick Majerus, 64, will not coach the Saint Louis men's basketball team this season because of heart issues, team spokesman Brian Kunderman told USA TODAY Sports Friday evening...."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/08/rick-majerus-will-not-coach-saint-louis-this-season/1#.UDgjOUQ-WeQ

Sorry we will miss Majerus, but I wish him the best of health.