• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recent posts

Other Sports / Re: Woman's Basketball 2023-20...
Last post by valpotx - February 20, 2024, 02:38:27 AM
That would be a pleasant surprise, especially if/when a coaching change occurs.  She can definitely play at a higher level, similar to Shay Frederick
Valpo Basketball / Re: Game 28 MVC 17 trees in th...
Last post by valpopal - February 20, 2024, 12:43:15 AM
Indiana St 82
Valparaiso 67
Last post by wh - February 19, 2024, 07:55:58 PM
MVC Website:
Cooper Shines --
Since 1992-93 only four MVC freshmen have averaged 12.0 points per game and 5.0 rebounds per game. A total of 25 freshmen in MVC history have reached 400 points in their first seasons. Cooper Schwieger of Valparaiso has 337 entering this week. Cade Tyson of Belmont was the last MVC freshman to hit 400 points (409 last year).

https://new.express.adobe.com/webpage/RqgjM14bnuOBv/

Think about something. In the past 30 years only 4 Freshmen have averaged 12 ppg and 5 rpg. Now consider all the players that ultimately became star players later in their careers. A reminder that the next time you have the urge to criticize our freshmen and sophomores for lacking the talent  to play in the MVC - be patient. Their time is coming.
Other Sports / Re: Woman's Basketball 2023-20...
Last post by valpopal - February 19, 2024, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on February 14, 2024, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 12, 2024, 11:42:47 PM
This is Earnest's final year, I believe.  The extra COVID year was for 2019-2020, I believe, and she didn't start until 2020-2021. 

The extra COVID year was for 2020-21. She has an additional year of eligibility and I believe she will be taking it. She is the only senior without a banner up in the arena.

2020-21 was the season where players competed without fans. Valley schools played a strange schedule.
I am pleased to say Leah plans to return and play at Valpo next year as a graduate student. I was lucky to get to know Leah starting with her first semester on campus, and I realized even then that she was the kind of student/athlete who would make Valparaiso proud. 
General VU Discussion / Re: Forever Valpo Fundraising ...
Last post by vu84v2 - February 19, 2024, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: valpo95 on February 19, 2024, 08:00:27 AM

One of the continued takeaways for me is how difficult the job is for VU's leadership to navigate all of those factors. 

In fairness to VU's leadership, this is hard for most university's leadership to navigate. A company facing a major shift can repurpose or retrain its people, but that is far more rare for universities. Further, because of tenure universities need to retain many faculty regardless of whether their discipline is growing, steady or in decline. Only deep-pocketed universities can fund this sort of inefficiency. Not to mention the resistance by some parts of the organization or the need to partially retain those areas for a robust core curriculum.
Last post by covufan - February 19, 2024, 08:08:33 AM
We have Indiana St right where we want them, at home when they have lost two in a row.  The whole Valley has exposed them, and we have the video to exploit their weaknesses.

I can be somewhat optimistic in the first year of Powell, right?

Sycamores  81
Beacons       75

Valley teams are becoming worried about being the 5th seed at Arch Madness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General VU Discussion / Re: Forever Valpo Fundraising ...
Last post by valpo95 - February 19, 2024, 08:00:27 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 16, 2024, 08:51:01 AM
I took a look at Allegheny College's website. The striking thing here is that they have very few majors that can directly be tied to jobs/careers. Computer science is the exception. For "business", it is really just economics branded as business - no faculty or courses in accounting, marketing, supply chain, finance, etc. Bottom line is that they are a pure liberal arts + sciences college. Allegheny may do this very well, but that is not where the market is. Students and their families value these areas, but if they are going to pay a significant amount for college they expect a clear path to meaningful employment after four years. Thus, Allegheny is different from Valpo as Valpo has a meaningful and accredited College of Business, engineering, health sciences, nursing, etc.

84, all good points. Allegheny is not the same as VU, though there are few direct comparisons to VU that map across all dimensions. However, historically VU's largest program has been the College of Arts and Sciences - this is the same "pure liberal arts" focus you mentioned above. The challenge is the market and interest is moving away from those programs, even as the pool of eligible students gets smaller.

One of the continued takeaways for me is how difficult the job is for VU's leadership to navigate all of those factors. 
Valpo Basketball / Re: Where in the world is/was
Last post by valpotx - February 19, 2024, 12:51:42 AM
I debated the same thing, but Powell and Scott's Master degrees do make them alumni. 
Last post by AB - February 18, 2024, 10:34:53 PM
81-68 Trees