• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

There will be teams with a sub par .500 conference record Making the NCAAt
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Here is what I don't get, if the MVC played 90% of there non-conference games at home like the P6 conferences do, we would have a 70%+ non-conference winning percentage also. The bias is blatant, the only way the committee can't see it is for all of the $$$$ obscuring their view. Any semblance of fairness has been lost and the more the NCAA tries to "fix" things the worse it gets. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 07, 2020, 02:15:56 AM
8 and 7 seeds beat 1 and 2 seeds: A Tale of 2 Conferences:

Big 10: "This just shows the depth of this conference and the unimaginable grind these teams go through night in and night out. A testament to why they're getting 126789 teams in the tournament this year."

MVC: "Ha! UNI and Loyola lost to Drake and Valpo! I told you this conference sucks! The top of this conference have been such fraudulent paper tigers all year. They're lucky they at least have the auto bid."

Tell me, what makes these situations so different? Why can't we be considered for the good strong deep league that we are and get a little love from the committee? We're just like the Big 10 in that we are deep and cannibalize each other so what gives? Asking for a friend.

Big Ten has 14 teams, so generally if you finish middle of the pack in the best conference in a given year, you're getting in.  2 years ago they only got 4 teams in.

The MVC only has 1 team this year that's got an at-large resume (UNI).  Loyola lost to Coppin State at home and had no Quad 1 wins (the entire league had 2 all year).

Some of it is opportunity that the MVC doesn't get in the non-conference, but that's also partly due to not having an alpha team in the conference (Dayton, SDSU, Gonzaga) that major conference opponents know will be good year in and year out and isn't a risk to schedule and can get into prestigious tourneys.

The MVC is a good league, but teams make the tournament, not leagues.

talksalot

gotta believe that having 4 6 7 8 was not their weekend seeding plan. 

IrishDawg

Quote from: FWalum on March 07, 2020, 12:09:50 PM
Here is what I don't get, if the MVC played 90% of there non-conference games at home like the P6 conferences do, we would have a 70%+ non-conference winning percentage also. The bias is blatant, the only way the committee can't see it is for all of the $$$$ obscuring their view. Any semblance of fairness has been lost and the more the NCAA tries to "fix" things the worse it gets.

NCAA Tourney Committee members:
Kevin White - Duke AD
Bernard Muir - Stanford AD
Jim Schaus - Ohio AD
Janet Cone - UNC Asheville AD
Mitch Barnhart - Kentucky AD
Craig Thompson - MWC Commissioner
Jim Phillips - Northwestern VP of Athletics
Bernadette McGlade - A10 Commissioner
Chris Reynolds - Bradley AD

VUGrad1314

Quote from: talksalot on March 07, 2020, 12:28:53 PMgotta believe that having 4 6 7 8 was not their weekend seeding plan.

IF the bracket was going to be busted and pulverized to smithereens I am so glad that we are part of the ones doing the busting! GO Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Bradley looked really good today against a tired Drake team. Their size will be a problem if we're fortunate enough to play them tomorrow. But first thing's first we need to lock in and play well against a very tough and talented Missouri State team. I think we can do it! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

valpotx

I like our chances better against Bradley, than I would have against Drake.  Their big, guy with the puffy hair, Penn, and that f*er that seems to get every backdoor cut for a layup, really owned us in most situations. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Cincinnati, a "bubble team" (with a record similar to ours) is probably pretty dang happy that we keep winning....

By the way, there should be 0 further discussion about IU and the tourney. They should be out.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

this is the FIRST time two PRIVATE schools in the MVC meet in the final of the MVC Tourney since.... 1999 when #1 seed Evansville was beaten by #2 Creighton.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Elgin with some interesting thoughts about Expansion RPI\NET the future of the league and scheduling.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/the-state-of-the-valley/

Beginning to endorse a 12 team model.

Thinks NET allows teams to control their own destiny more and play their way in

Thinks we can get back to multibid status again

Wants to work with peer conferences on scheduling

Seems happy or at least okay with how the tournament has unfolded.

Talks about facility improvements across the Valley (HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT)

valpotx

With the rumors around some PAC-12 teams joining the Big 12, and AAC teams joining the PAC-12, this offseason will be interesting on the realignment front
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2020, 02:09:31 PMWith the rumors around some PAC-12 teams joining the Big 12, and AAC teams joining the PAC-12, this offseason will be interesting on the realignment front

What are you hearing? Are there serious rumors of something like Arizona and Arizona State to the Big 12?  Why would the PAC 12 want anyone from the AAC unless the conference gets totally gutted?

valpotx

Just the usual rumors, nothing substantiated.  The last that I read was UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, and Arizona forming a West division in the Big 12. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2020, 03:47:29 PMJust the usual rumors, nothing substantiated.  The last that I read was UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, and Arizona forming a West division in the Big 12.

I remember hearing something about a merger and reconfiguration of the two conferences where some of the current Big 12 and some of the current PAC 12 get left out but the resulting conference is much stronger than either one is on their own. It would be interesting in that case to see what happens to those left over.

usc4valpo

I have a feeling teams from the Big 12 would move to the Conference of Champions than vice versa.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 08, 2020, 05:45:44 PMI have a feeling teams from the Big 12 would move to the Conference of Champions than vice versa.
Unless you're a member of the Bill Walton family, I don't know why you'd think that. Perhaps there is a vaccine for the feeling?

With that said, I don't think anybody is going anywhere of any note.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

So would this be like a football move with a basketball scheduling agreement while maintaining two separate conferences or are we talking full on all sports merger. Either way not good for anybody outside the P5. This would be the third conference that the Big XII would have an agreement with joining the Big East and the SEC while the Big East also has that overlapping agreement with the Big 10 which is itself tied in with the ACC.

VUGrad1314

Attention Luke Gore Northern Iowa (and well pretty much everyone else)

https://twitter.com/NickatCourier/status/1236731535304376323

VUGrad1314

The case for Northern Iowa. I hope somebody whose opinion and decision matters but I'm afraid it's going to fall on deaf ears...

https://twitter.com/NickatCourier/status/1237114090939654145

VUGrad1314

Why do I love the Valley? Let this be a partial summation as to why...

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/march-moments-what-lies-ahead/

What I love the most is that it is not and has never really been a single program doing the heavy lifting. All schools seem to contribute to the success of the league and that is a beautiful thing. Every school has their chapter that they have written when they contributed greatly to the success of the conference. And schools are writing and revising their stories yearly.

valpo64

It's great that we now are in "The Valley".  The quality of this League is soooooo far above the Horizon and  Summit Leagues that it's not even funny.  No comparison.  King Kampe and the rest of the Horizon are a big step below the MVC.

FieldGoodie05

Anyone know if our International players were able to get home to their families?  Are they still here in the states?

Krikke
Freese-Vilien
Siggy