• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What is next for Bryce Drew?

Started by Mikeminnc, February 16, 2020, 03:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 16, 2020, 11:52:15 AM
Hot rumor out here has Bryce as the #1 choice for the GCU job. I don't know though with the Western Illinois job available!!

I just can't picture Bryce coaching there

valpo84

Bryce should wait to see what jobs open -- BC and Wake will open up here soon.

Wake contenders include:  Wes Miller (UNC-G), Shaka Smart (when fired from Texas), Pat Kelsey and Bryce in the early discussions with Wes getting the primary share.   I am a big Pat Kelsey fan (coaching roots go back to Xavier and Skip Prosser).  He has been very successful at the mid-major level and was an assistant at WF.  Wes is also thought highly of in NC.  Shaka may be declining in enthusiasm there.  The buyout for Manning (and Miller) is steep so we'll see what they do.  Wake needs a younger coach who will build the program for the long haul and reestablish it.  If successful there, it is like Baylor, no reason to ever leave.  There had been some talk of Beilein or Matta but that would be the wrong direction.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

M

There it is...now head coach of Grand Canyon. Good luck out there.

IndyValpo

Quote from: M on March 17, 2020, 09:06:37 AM
There it is...now head coach of Grand Canyon. Good luck out there.
Jerry Colangalo the former Phoenix Suns Exec led the search and apparently targeted Drew early on. As someone who lives less than 30 minutes from GCU and goes to games on occasion this is good news.

vu84v2

I honestly find it hard to believe that such a good person would go to this shady and corrupt university.

usc4valpo

When you go  0-18 in your conference and get canned, schools like Wake Forest and BC are not going to go after you. I think GCU can be a high-risk high-reward situation for Bryce Drew.

tiny707

Great fit for Bryce. The school has really really grown big time in the last few years. Beautiful campus, great fans, and they really have a mission to reach out to the community. Bryce will put his stamp on this University. Please do not knock until you have been there and don't knock their education and act like an an elite. Everyone needs an education. Not everyone can afford a $200,000.00 education in the Midwest. Online is affordable for a lot of people that still need to work to pay for college. Out of state people still pay in state and can enjoy beautiful sunny Arizona during the winter. Check out their website. I think the have six pools, a restaurant, hotel and golf course for restaurant and Hospitality majors. Money will not be an issue with Jerry backing the school. Check out the fans at games on You Tube. He will have them in the Tourney soon and be able to recruit kids from Midwest.

tiny707

I agree USC4Valpo! Not sure if it is high ask though but I can see high reward. He will own the program. Reminds me of Valpo first going D1 with Homer. Read Bryce's quotes.

valpopal

"We are unbelievably excited to have Bryce Drew lead our basketball program into its next phase of development," GCU President Brian Mueller said. "Bryce built a very successful mid-major program at Valparaiso and proved he can recruit at a high level at Vanderbilt but, most importantly, he embodies the Christian mission of the University in how he lives his life both on and off the court."

I happen to like Grand Canyon University and am amazed by its athletics facilities, as well as student support:

VU2014

Seems like a weird fit to me. Idk. I hope Bryce does well.

justducky

Watched that pre-game video and the mascot has to be the ugliest animal I have ever seen. Makes me want to apply for an out of state antelope license then leave it for the buzzards.  ::)

mj

Hope this works out for Bryce but GCU doesn't seem like a place that will handle a recession well...
I believe that we will win.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: tiny707 on March 17, 2020, 09:49:41 AM
I agree USC4Valpo! Not sure if it is high ask though but I can see high reward. He will own the program. Reminds me of Valpo first going D1 with Homer. Read Bryce's quotes.

What is he risking?  Coaches move between schools with more reckless abandon then ever.  He is at a level where his pedigree interests recruits and his lack of success in the SEC is yesterdays news.  Good luck Bryce.

P.S.  They are a fellow D1 sports program, I don't have the animosity towards their academics like some others do. 

usc4valpo

GCU is kind of unique. I think this is great for Bryce. Phoenix is a great city and the school is growing. Seriously, who really thought Bryce would get an offer from the P5 school after last year - these guys are not exactly forgiving to someone after a conference 0-18 season, despite that it was probably not his fault.

vu84v2

From the November, 2019 statement from the U.S. Dept. of Education regarding Grand Canyon:

"Under the Higher Education Act and the department's regulations, nonprofit institutions of higher education must operate for the benefit of the institution, not any other person or entity. Following its review of the transaction in which Grand Canyon University separated from its former owner, Grand Canyon Education, Inc., the department determined that it could not approve GCU as a nonprofit for purposes of its participation in federal financial aid programs because its operation is benefiting GCE," the department said. "Notably, under an agreement between GCU and GCE, GCE employs many of the key personnel providing management, oversight and strategic direction to GCU, and the president of GCU also serves as the chief executive officer of GCE. The department thus determined that GCU does not meet the criteria to participate in federal financial aid programs as a nonprofit."

Add to this that when they tried to set up their fraudulent non-profit, they were going to put most or all of their debt on Grand Canyon University's books.

Grand Canyon is the Enron of universities, and I do not see why good people would want to risk the stain of being affiliated with such a shady and corrupt enterprise.

Just Sayin

GCU  averages 7100 in attendance. That's full capacity. They love their basketball there apparently. 
Best wishes Bryce.

talksalot

GCU is highly Christian-based.  and their basketball game experience is the envy of everyone west of tobacco road.  I just want to play them in the ARC

vu84v2

So fraudulent leadership is fine, as long as you fill seats and have a good game experience? And there are examples of "Christian-based" organizations who committed rampant fraud (MCI Worldcom), so the two are not always unrelated.

One other thing about Grand Canyon...they better somehow hope that the WAC will continue to exist (UMKC is leaving, Chicago State is on life support), because I strongly doubt any other conference will take them. In fact, one could argue that they are hiring Bryce Drew to attempt to build some legitimacy (though such legitimacy would still be false).

justducky

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 17, 2020, 04:07:40 PMSo fraudulent leadership is fine, as long as you fill seats and have a good game experience? And there are examples of "Christian-based" organizations who committed rampant fraud (MCI Worldcom), so the two are not always unrelated.

If it is a tax fraud question then it should be studied. I do not differentiate between christian fraud and pagan fraud. In my world both should do jail time.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 17, 2020, 04:07:40 PM
So fraudulent leadership is fine, as long as you fill seats and have a good game experience? And there are examples of "Christian-based" organizations who committed rampant fraud (MCI Worldcom), so the two are not always unrelated.

One other thing about Grand Canyon...they better somehow hope that the WAC will continue to exist (UMKC is leaving, Chicago State is on life support), because I strongly doubt any other conference will take them. In fact, one could argue that they are hiring Bryce Drew to attempt to build some legitimacy (though such legitimacy would still be false).

You are almost as convincing as Just Sayin  :'( :'( :'(

Just Sayin

I'm living inside your head rent-free. 

valpo64

Didn't we play them  last season in Phoenix?  Wonder if it was a home and home deal.  If so, they should be at the ARC this coming year.

talksalot

we played them in st.thomas tournament.  a one off game. no follow up commitment

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 17, 2020, 06:32:10 PM
I'm living inside your head rent-free.

If you are speaking of vu84v2 that is a distinct possibility, the rest of us not so much.  I do think it's a sad situation if that is your end game.  That is no kind of life, but that is just one mans' opinion.  Have a nice day!

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 18, 2020, 07:38:47 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 17, 2020, 06:32:10 PMI'm living inside your head rent-free.
If you are speaking of vu84v2 that is a distinct possibility, the rest of us not so much.  I do think it's a sad situation if that is your end game.  That is no kind of life, but that is just one mans' opinion.  Have a nice day!

Well you are the one who couldn't post to someone else without mentioning Just Sayin. Just Sayin