• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Govs

Started by valpotx, June 02, 2013, 03:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Too bad for our guys, being involved in their third 5-4 game of the tourney, coming on the losing end.  The big inning was the 7th when we left the bases loaded with one out.  Great effort this season, and I look forward to more positives next season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

This was a great season and the coaches and players should be commended!  With a target on their back they overcame injuries all season to repeat as conference tournament champions and beat a national southern powerhouse Florida Gators to eliminate them from the NCAA tournament.  Valpo Baseball definitely took the next step in not just being happy to be in the NCAA tournament but truly playing like they belong and expect to win.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

I believe it was the HL's first win in NCAA baseball play since 2010 as well?

Definitely a huge congrats to this year's team.  We lose some key players to graduation, but it looks like we have some talent ready to step into each slot (Mahar going to be a starter next year maybe?).  I very much look forward to more progress being made in each Valpo sport!

I feel it should be mentioned yet again, how amazing of a story Tanner Vavra is.  The announcers could not say enough nice things about him and what he has been able to do, and I really hope that he continues to play well at the next level, wherever he may end up.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vubballfan

Proud of the Crusaders. Went toe-to-toe with all 3 teams in our Regional. Valpo baseball has proven that they can compete and win at the national level .....wins vs Florida, Ark, Ariz. St, South Florida, and Notre Dame in the last 2 years. They have holes to fill but the coaching staff has proven the ability to develop and recruit players that are able to step right in.

jetz

In wrapping up the season, the coaching staff also says goodbye to two men.  Jeramy St. Clair has been a tireless worker at the volunteer level, coaching first base and handling field prep, team laundry and various other necessary duties for the program.  He took off his Crusader #37 jersey for the last time yesterday, and will move on to more time with family.

Adam Piotrowicz has been the hitting and catching coach for the past several years.  Congrats to him as he takes a salary bump and greater responsibility at Western Michigan next year.  We'll see Coach P when we beat the Broncos in a mid-week game!

The coaching carousel around the country is spinning up, as it does every year at this time.  With back-to-back titles and a little national splash at the tourney this year, it's a safe bet that Valpo baseball coaches will make some wish lists at schools around the country.  The positive is that it will also make Valpo a more desirable place for good athletes to come and play...Stay tuned.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Hopefully we can keep Coach Woodson and Schmack around.  I couldn't blame them if either left for a larger program, but they have proven we can win at Valpo, and on a national level.  Hopefully the administration realizes the value that Woodson brings, and makes sure to keep him paid well enough to stick around.  William & Mary came calling last year, but who will this year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

The NC State coach is interviewing at Auburn...

valpotx

That is weird.  I believe NC State has had much more success than Auburn in baseball over the last few decades.  The ACC is just behind the SEC in baseball as well, so it is not like it would be a large step up in competition
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

I assume Coach Woodson would want the opportunity to coach at his alma mater if the position became open.  Is anyone familiar with the NC State situation?  Would Coach Woodson be the leading candidate?  He has obviiously put together a very impressive coaching resume but I am not familiar with other potential coaching candidates out in the universe that might have an interest.  I would hate to lose Coach Woodson but I am happy for anyone that gets a chance for their dream job.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

Where did you see the report that the NC State coach is interviewing at Auburn btw?  NC State is still playing, having moved on to the Super Regional, and I highly doubt that he would be interviewing for other jobs at this time...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on June 04, 2013, 02:27:42 PMWhere did you see the report that the NC State coach is interviewing at Auburn btw? NC State is still playing, having moved on to the Super Regional, and I highly doubt that he would be interviewing for other jobs at this time...

Jetz, I had the same question.  I know Coach Avent interviewed for the Auburn job in 2008 when the job was last open.  That was publicly reported.  Is it possible you were looking at some old reports from 2008 when they were reporting on the Auburn baseball coach search?  I could be wrong, but I don't think a coach would be interviewing for a new position while his team is still competing in a Super Regional and only 2 wins away from the College World Series.  Not sure, but that might even be a violation of NCAA rules.

Valpo2008

187-210 is Coach Woodson's record at Valpo. It is gonna be pretty tough to get a high profile job like NC State with a losing record.  His last couple years have been good but I am not sure that is good enough.  Hopefully we keep winning.

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on June 04, 2013, 02:27:42 PM
Where did you see the report that the NC State coach is interviewing at Auburn btw?  NC State is still playing, having moved on to the Super Regional, and I highly doubt that he would be interviewing for other jobs at this time...

This from Perfect Game Premium Blog.  (You have to pay a monthly fee to get this content,  That doesn't make it gospel.)  The interview obviously hasn't happened yet, but as mentioned below, a source seems to think it will after the NC State season ends.  Note the date.

5/29/2013 5:47:49 PM

Auburn University's baseball coaching search only is a couple of days old, but additional names are already beginning to trickle in from inside sources.

AU sources have informed me that North Carolina State coach Elliott Avent will be a target, and likely will be asked to interview at some point. Avent has guided the Wolfpack to a fabulous 44-14 overall record this season.

Overall, Avent has guided the Wolfpack program to three NCAA Super Regional appearances, 12 NCAA Regional appearances, while also being the winningest coach in N.C. State history, entering this season with 599 total victories. Avent is in his 17th season at North Carolina State.

Sources believe Auburn could snag Avent from N.C. State. Avent was born and raised an N.C. State fan, but it also must be noted that his wife is an Auburn graduate, and his wife's family still resides in the State of Alabama. He has plenty of ties to Alabama.

Should the Tigers want Avent, chances are good they'll be waiting a couple of weeks, as it's very possible N.C. State will make a trip to the College World Series.

valpotx

Man, that would make absolutely no sense to me.  You are basically the man in regards to NC State baseball, and you leave for Auburn?  Auburn has been to 12 NCAA tournaments in the last 20 years, while NC State has 16.  I don't believe Auburn has done much in the way of Super Regionals in the recent seasons, while NC State has a few under their belt.  I understand being close to your wife's family (like Woodson and Valpo), but that move seems so strange to me. 

I don't believe Woodson's overall record at Valpo will factor too negatively against him for that job.  He has taken us to 2 straight NCAA tourneys, got us an NCAA win, has 3 winning seasons at a school that doesn't have a history of winning seasons at the D-1 level, and is a legend on the field at NCSU.  He would be pretty high on their radar, I would have to think.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on June 05, 2013, 12:20:41 AMMan, that would make absolutely no sense to me. You are basically the man in regards to NC State baseball, and you leave for Auburn? Auburn has been to 12 NCAA tournaments in the last 20 years, while NC State has 16. I don't believe Auburn has done much in the way of Super Regionals in the recent seasons, while NC State has a few under their belt. I understand being close to your wife's family (like Woodson and Valpo), but that move seems so strange to me. I don't believe Woodson's overall record at Valpo will factor too negatively against him for that job. He has taken us to 2 straight NCAA tourneys, got us an NCAA win, has 3 winning seasons at a school that doesn't have a history of winning seasons at the D-1 level, and is a legend on the field at NCSU. He would be pretty high on their radar, I would have to think.

Yes, Coach Woodson would be a very viable candidate for the NC State job if it comes open and he would very much be on their radar screen, imo.  I don't know if he would be the top candidate, but possibly.  But definitely in contention and very much in high consideration. 

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 05, 2013, 06:47:26 AM
Quote from: valpotx on June 05, 2013, 12:20:41 AMthat move seems so strange to me
$EC

Yes, the SEC has a little bit more money, but I would have to think that he is paid very well at NCSU after 17 or so years, maybe just a little under what Auburn would offer.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on June 05, 2013, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 05, 2013, 06:47:26 AM
Quote from: valpotx on June 05, 2013, 12:20:41 AMthat move seems so strange to me
$EC

Yes, the SEC has a little bit more money, but I would have to think that he is paid very well at NCSU after 17 or so years, maybe just a little under what Auburn would offer.
I tend to agree, unless he got a lot more money this would appear to be a lateral move outside the 17 year... lots of success... comfort zone.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

jetz

He apparently has already interviewed at Auburn back in 2008.  Anyone know why that didn't work out?  I also wonder if he's throwing his name in the ring to squeeze NCSU a little...

ml2

The article below offers a lot of insight into Coach Avent's current situation at NC State.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/29/2925274/nc-state-baseball-avent-succeeds.html

valpotx

Good find.  That makes more sense to me, but I imagine that Auburn is a pressure cooker as well, since Alabama wins national championships in several sports.  Whatever Alabama is doing, Auburn expects as well...
"Don't mess with Texas"

sliman

Quote from: Valposter on June 04, 2013, 12:22:46 PM
I assume Coach Woodson would want the opportunity to coach at his alma mater if the position became open.  Is anyone familiar with the NC State situation?  Would Coach Woodson be the leading candidate?  He has obviiously put together a very impressive coaching resume but I am not familiar with other potential coaching candidates out in the universe that might have an interest.  I would hate to lose Coach Woodson but I am happy for anyone that gets a chance for their dream job.

Let's not overlook the fact that Valpo is Coach Woodson's alma mater -- both bachelor's and master's degrees!  Hopefully that is meaningful to him as well as his early years at NC State.

Valposter

Quote from: jetz on June 05, 2013, 03:08:00 PMHe apparently has already interviewed at Auburn back in 2008. Anyone know why that didn't work out? I also wonder if he's throwing his name in the ring to squeeze NCSU a little...

Jetz, I think you hit the nail on the head.  When he interviewed at Auburn in 2008 he withdrew his name from consideration after signing a contract extension with NC State.  This is likely a similar play.  That certainly makes more sense than leaving your current position after 17 years after having your best season with a loaded roster returning to leave for  a school that is a pressure cooker that has burned through coaches at a rapid rate and has accomplished little in baseball since Bo Jackson.  I just don't see it.  I don't think the money can be that much more significant to motivate such a move. 

Valposter

Quote from: sliman on June 05, 2013, 09:38:04 PM
Quote from: Valposter on June 04, 2013, 12:22:46 PMI assume Coach Woodson would want the opportunity to coach at his alma mater if the position became open. Is anyone familiar with the NC State situation? Would Coach Woodson be the leading candidate? He has obviiously put together a very impressive coaching resume but I am not familiar with other potential coaching candidates out in the universe that might have an interest. I would hate to lose Coach Woodson but I am happy for anyone that gets a chance for their dream job.
Let's not overlook the fact that Valpo is Coach Woodson's alma mater -- both bachelor's and master's degrees! Hopefully that is meaningful to him as well as his early years at NC State.
I guess what I meant to say is that NC State is Coach Woodson's baseball alma mater.  It is where he played collegiately, became an All-American, was a high-round draft pick his junior year which launched a successful professional career in the major leagues that ultimately positioned him for his successful coaching career.  It would represent a chance for him to go full circle and go back home while at the same time make significantly more money, have significantly better facilities, a larger operating budget, while being able to schedule significantly more home games in the warm southern climate.  Very few schools have the ability to host Regionals and Super Regionals and NC State is on that short list.  It is not realistic to expect Valpo to be able to compete with that no matter the strength of the ties that the Woodson family have with Valpo. 

My hope is that NC State is the only school that Coach Woodson would leave Valpo for with Valpo being his academic alma mater and his wife's home and alma mater combined with the recent success Coach Woodson has had at Valpo and likely will continue to have based upon existing and incoming talent.  Because I think it might be a few years before Avent leaves NC State (via retirement) and Coach Woodson would have a few more years of successful coaching experience at Valpo on his resume as he positions to take over the NC State helm.

I do think it is somewhat important for Coach Woodson to show the collegiate baseball community that his recent success at Valpo is sustainable and can be repeated with different recruiting classes and not just the function of one good recruiting class.  I have no doubt Coach Woodson will accomplish this.  He is losing a very good recruiting class but he had a good recruiting class last year and he has a very good recruiting class coming in this year to re-load.  Valpo's roster will still be plenty strong next year and in the next few years, imo.     

vu72

Quote from: sliman on June 05, 2013, 09:38:04 PM
Quote from: Valposter on June 04, 2013, 12:22:46 PM

Let's not overlook the fact that Valpo is Coach Woodson's alma mater -- both bachelor's and master's degrees!  Hopefully that is meaningful to him as well as his early years at NC State.

I believe it is also his wife's alma mater.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015