• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Year's Resolution

Started by wh, January 06, 2013, 01:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

After hearing a message at church today, I recognize that I need to make some changes.  Even in my participation on this message board, I have become far too negative and cynical and have taken something that should be a fun outlet far too seriously.  I want to apologize to my fellow board mates for being a negative influence and purpose in the New Year to be much more positive and supportive of the outstanding young men, coaching staff and athletic department that represent this wonderful university. 

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 06, 2013, 01:44:18 PM
After hearing a message at church today, I recognize that I need to make some changes.  Even in my participation on this message board, I have become far too negative and cynical and have taken something that should be a fun outlet far too seriously.  I want to apologize to my fellow board mates for being a negative influence and purpose in the New Year to be much more positive and supportive of the outstanding young men, coaching staff and athletic department that represent this wonderful university. 

What the heck kind of a church do you go to??   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpospartan

Congratulations.  Here's hoping you bring others with you.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpospartan on January 06, 2013, 10:25:00 PM
Congratulations.  Here's hoping you bring others with you.

I had the same feeling, WH.  I found myself getting too intense about the FB situation.  Lord, we need to get competitive, but I found myself getting too negative.  Heck, we're dealing with 18-22 year old kids here, and we all know the limitations that are in place at a private university like Valpo.  Trashing kids doesn't solve anything.  There still should be an outlet for constructive criticism/personal observations, but I'm more comfortable reading the posts when they are not hypercritical or overly judgmental.  A part of that, in my mind, is that we never know all the details behind what we observe.  Given that, a little restraint is always prudent.  We're just not from a school with $150 mil athletic budget, with a rabid fan base that calls for the head of coaches at the drop of a hat (or a football).  There are a lot more things going into the Valpo equation. While there are business reasons underlying the athletic program, let's face it, overall it is a money loser that is valuable for what it provides the participating kids, the student body, and people like us who take pride in our alma mater.