• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

O'Bannon vs. NCAA lawsuit

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 20, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

There are other things to talk about right now, but we haven't talked much about a major thing going down:
QuoteWhat started four years ago as a simple, if big-dreaming, lawsuit – former UCLA basketball great Ed O'Bannon suing over the NCAA's continued use of his likeness, long after his 1996 graduation, in a video game – has snowballed into a legal challenge of college sports' entire economic model.
I'm not sure how it will affect mid-major, basketball-only schools like our HL--but it will...

Later in the article, our own Setshot's true identity is exposed :):
QuoteLast week, a cadre of college administrators, including Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch, submitted written declarations in an effort to persuade the judge from granting class action. They were mostly filled with gloom-and-doom predictions of what would happen should colleges have to actually share any of the money with current or past players.

Much of the media attention has focused on Delany claiming the Big Ten would never comply and instead would "take steps to downsize the scope, breadth and activities of their athletic programs," he wrote. "Several models exist ... such as Division III."

This is more for the off-season, but since that won't be for a while I didn't want to forget ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

so ben affleck can use his likeness, but the ncaa can't?

FWalum

So, I wonder how much Bryce and teammates are being paid for the AXE Apollo ad that features "The Shot"?  Or does all that go to the NCAA or CBS?  Does the re-purposing of the images cause any change in how this sort of thing is viewed legally?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

The Axe commercial just came on while watching ESPN  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"