• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Another Diebler leaves us for OSU

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 01, 2013, 08:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/12794/diebler-departs-crusader-coaching-staff/

Congrats, man, but I believe I speak for everyone here, not just as a Michigan Man, when I say "the hell with OSU" :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

Congratulatons to Jake. Well earned. We want our assistants to be the type of coaches other programs seek out because it means they are people who develop players who win the right way. Jake is an Ohio kid and this has to be among his top wish list locations. (doesn't mean I have to like OSU) We wish Jake and his family much success.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

I used to love to watch Jake "glue himself" to the player he was defending.  He always gave everything he had, and what more can you ask from anyone than that?  I'm sure he will have a very successful career in coaching, or wherever life takes him. 

covufan

Congrats and best wishes to Jake and his family.

valpopal

Anyone suggest nominees to add to the coaching staff as replacement for Jake? I'd like to see Tonagel considered.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on July 01, 2013, 04:47:56 PMI'd like to see Tonagel considered.
Well, yeah, but I'd find it hard to imagine he'd take a step down at this point--not the prestige so much as the pay.

I mean, you gotta figure the head coach there makes more than an assistant here?

Then again, the video coordinator at OSU makes more than an assistant here...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 01, 2013, 06:52:14 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 01, 2013, 04:47:56 PMI'd like to see Tonagel considered.
Well, yeah, but I'd find it hard to imagine he'd take a step down at this point--not the prestige so much as the pay.

I mean, you gotta figure the head coach there makes more than an assistant here?

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but I'd like to give Greg the opportunity to make that decision. After all, on the other hand, as an assistant coach he would more likely be in line for high consideration as Valpo's head coach should Bryce move elsewhere.

lowposter

Congradulations to Jake.  He was an outstanding Crusader, both on the floor and as a staff member.  This is a great move for him.

Greg Tonagel as assistant coach?  Why?  He is already head coach at IWU.  BTW, he is loaded this coming year and should compete for NAIA National crown.

valpo84

Possibilities -- JHawk, Nick Shelton, how about Ivan Vujic, Chris Artis

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on July 02, 2013, 10:58:03 AMJHawk, Nick Shelton, how about Ivan Vujic, Chris Artis
While none of those would be bad, I guess I would like to see someone like Roger Powell--who has non-VU ties as a way of broadening our base. 

I don't know that Vujic would take a step down from NU to come here...would he?

talksalot

Congrats Jake!  You will be missed.  But, having a daughter who works at the OSU Med Center ... enjoy Nationwide Arena... and remember the good times on the Arc Floor... and under the scorer's table, and laying among the folding chairs banging into the front row of chairbacks.  And remember, the next time we play those Buckeyes... you can perhaps forget to put in a recent tape... and show the players highlights of your great career...

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpo84 on July 02, 2013, 10:58:03 AM
Possibilities -- JHawk, Nick Shelton, how about Ivan Vujic, Chris Artis

Jhawk left here once...
Nick...experience?
Vu has another job lined up
Artis would do it in a heartbeat

but do we need another 'vu guy' ?

wait how about bringing Mark Morfeild back?!

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 02, 2013, 10:06:07 PM
Paul's perspective:

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/valpo-mbb-who-replaces-jake-diebler/article_a176f140-e357-11e2-a9f8-001a4bcf887a.html

I would like to see Mark Morefield get an opportunity.  He was stabbed in the back by AAU sleaze supreme Mark Adams and his phony A-Hope Foundation, who conspired with the Lalumiere coach to "steal" Perea from Baylor and deliver him to Crean and IU.  Mark Morefield's only mistake was leaving a paper trail when he threatened to have Perea deported and doing too much texting, which is no longer a violation.  He did a great job for Homer when he was here, and would be completely loyal to Bryce without any preconceived notions of becoming head coach if Bryce were to leave.

hoopfan22

Good list. I was joking, however about Morefield. Can't believe we'd ask him back here.
I see Stovall at the Fieldhouse tournaments with his teams sometimes.
Tonagel isn't leaving to be a #3.
There's NO WAY Sparks comes back.
Nuness would be taking a step down but it's hard to say no to your alma mater right?
Phipps is there and probably has the inside track no?
I want a VU guy on the staff personally but do we need one? My choice would be CA.

valpo84

mp91

Diebler is a great guy, one of my favorite coaches on the staff. He has always been very open to the student body. I used to have a class in the ARC and sometimes  I would get there early and he would always stop by and talk with me if he was passing by. I was just a random student but he was always a guy that would be friendly enough to talk to anyone. Similarly, as I became involved in student media, he was always one of the most open, accessible (and most fun to talk to) coaches of any sports coaches at the University.

I wish him the best of luck

Valpo89

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 03, 2013, 06:51:35 AM
I want a VU guy on the staff personally but do we need one? My choice would be CA.
Not bloody likely.

historyman

Here is a video of the Ohio State press conference that introduced Jake Dieber as the new person on their staff.

Greg Paulus, Jake Diebler Press Conference. July 1, 2013
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpopal on July 01, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 01, 2013, 06:52:14 PM

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but I'd like to give Greg the opportunity to make that decision. After all, on the other hand, as an assistant coach he would more likely be in line for high consideration as Valpo's head coach should Bryce move elsewhere.

I think you're selling Tonagel short...his next job will be at a place like Valpo as the head coach. Bruce Pearl jumped from Southern Indiana (DII) to Milwaukee and I can see Greg making the same jump. I don't think he needs to be an assistant in order to be considered for a similar position. It will happen, it's just a matter of where.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

chef

I think most everybody believes the day will come when Greg is in the running for the head job at Valpo. At this point in his career Greg has no interest in leaving his current job to be an assistant at Valpo.

wh

Paul Oren ‏@NWIOren 1h
No word on a replacement for Diebler yet. Bryce Drew not interested in moving fast, he's interested in finding right fit.