• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Dr. Jack Ramsay, requiescat in pace (1925-2014)

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 28, 2014, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I have the honor of playing the funeral Mass for Dr. Jack Ramsay at 11 this Thursday.

Because I'm on the younger side, I remember him from his articles on ESPN, but my father, a Buffalo Braves season ticket holder back in the day, is even more excited than I. 

He was a great man, and I could go on, but I'll let his son do the better job:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851183/dr-jack-ramsay-father-friend

And I'll post this here as a notice to myself at least--and please remind me of it come the fall if I forget his wisdom:
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks!  Just met with his daughter, whose husband (Jack's son-in-law) is Jim O'Brien of Celtics fame. 

Thus I managed to hide the fact that I'm a Pistons fan until his friend said she had to get extra programs to mail to people that can't make it like Jack McCloskey and I burst out "TRADER JACK MCCLOSKEY!?!?!"

The best reaction was my sister, who wrote "so you're playing Jack Ramsay's funeral?  guess you'll be the shortest person there."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

Thoughts and prayers to the family and hope you're playing Bach!.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

No Bach, but boy, there were enough people to have the best coaching clinic ever, if they could only agree on how to break a press:

--Pat Riley
--Erik Spoelstra
--Jimmy Lynam
--Jim O'Brien
--Phil Martelli
--Hubie Brown
--Bob McAdoo

EDIT: ALSO:
--Billy Cunningham
--Jack McKinney
--Matt Guokas

man.  and a whole bunch of players but I wouldn't really know who they were these days.

the best part was Dr. Jack's son Chris, who wrote the story at the link in the OP, talking about his faith, and how at the final family reunion he would attend, he "called a timeout" and told "his whole team" they were getting slack in their practice of the Faith.

And coming out of the timeout, by Chris' admission at least, the Ramsay clan has been reinvigorated! 

LaPorteAveApostle